Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Driven to tears... - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Electronics

Old 12-27-2010, 07:12 PM
Slot Fish

Default Driven to tears...

After months of following the Lowrance/Humminbird (see, no g, so I am paying attention) threads, I am ready to move beyond my existing Lowrance 104 and 135. I get by with my limited knowledge of electronics and their operation but here's where I am beginning to struggle .

I'm at BassPro yesterday and putting my hands on the HDS units. I begin asking questions regarding my scenario and the sales guys eyes begin to glaze over and he probably wished he had picked the customer to either the left or right of me. But he's game and goes and gets an LSS unit box and we look at the directions trying to find out how the networking system works. He calls over another guy and we get through the questions but I need a bit more clarification before I lay out what I consider a ginormous amount of cash. Even more complicated by this decision is having to pick a brand since now that networking is almost a norm, or will be in the future.

I had made my decision to go Lowrance since their networking seems to be better than HB. But the CS side and alleged dependability factor have now swayed me to HB. My worry with HB is the networking capability.

My layout is thus. I envision using the down and side scan from the console while traveling at speed, trolling with the kicker, and generally looking for specific structure or schooling fish. Mark it with the GPS and troll or spot fish to my hearts content. The 1197 SI seems to fill that need nicely.

I have a 101 I-pilot on the bow with universal sonar. I fish from there alot. It buys me some seclusion from the chaos of the wife, kids, and 2 dogs that run rampant on the boat. And when using an anchor, the spot lock, or slow trolling the electric, I love the control I get from that seat. What I don't have there currently is the ability to mark with GPS or look at decent lake mapping. Looking at this position, either the HB 898c or 898c SI seems to be appropriate. I would link both together with and ethernet cable.

My understanding of the networking is this. The back of the boat transducer will cover standard graphing, downscan and side scan. It is hooked directly to the console unit. The universal sonar on the bow mount I-pilot is hooked directly to the 898 and will only give my standard sonar. Both have GPS capability but can they use the same puck? Or should I wire in the second puck so they each have their own? A big concern is if I can "share" GPS info between the 2 units. I also understand that each unit would need its own Lakemaster card to get that lake information also.

I don't think the front 898 would be able to see the downscan or side scan from the rear transducer? Any help here appreciated. When I'm at the front I question the need for the down and side scan. While it seems cool I'm not sure I could even mount the additional transducers to the I-pilot since it already has the universal sonar "puck" and I would have to work around that. Also, my understanding is that you need a certain amount of speed for those to work correctly. These are my reasons for deciding on either the 898c versus the 898c SI.

Barring the boat purchase, this is my biggest capital outlay and I hope to make the right decisions.

Thanks, Bill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2010, 07:41 PM
Wallhanger

First of all, there are only two units in the 800 series...the 898 which is a 2D/SI/DI/GPS unit, and the 858 which is a 2D/GPS unit.

If you have an 898 at the bow and an 1197/8 at the console, and they are linked by ethernet, then the 898 will receive/display SI and DI data collected by the transom mount HDSI transducer.

If you have an 858 at the bow, and it is linked by ethernet to the console unit, then it will display only 2D data....as well as share waypoints, routes, etc.

They can share one puck over the network, or each can have its own puck. Currently, if each unit has its own puck, then each unit will update its position 4x per second. If only one puck is shared over the network, then the network updates its position 1x per second. Not sure how this will change with ethernet networking....but we'll be finding out soon.

On my boat, I run an 1197 at the console (will be upgrading to an 1198 as soon as they are available) and an 858 at the console paired with a Terrova 101/i-Pilot. I think it's an excellent combination. The graphs are currently linked by an interlink system, but will be switching that over to ethernet as soon as it is released.

Does that cover anything, or did I miss something?
Old 12-27-2010, 07:44 PM
Charter Member

Willie,

If you want to go this way with all Lowarnce units, pick a time that is slow in the day and talk to a support person at Lowrance and get the best information from them.
At times, it is difficult to get through to a person, but if you do pick a slow time for the factory, you will be able to speak to a person and get the best advice.

Good luck.
REW
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2010, 07:55 PM
Wallhanger

Jason - Are you using US2 on your bow mount for your 858?

Do you think the Minn Kota US2 is as good as the stock transducers that come with the units?

Thanks
Old 12-27-2010, 07:59 PM
Wallhanger

Yes, I use the US2 for the 858.

If I had any concerns about the quality of the signal provided by that transducer, I would be the first guy to strap on an external transducer....and I have not. The only issue I had (about a year ago or more) was some sporadic sonar noise when the troller would be engaged. However, the MinnKota interference kit took care of that problem, and it's been smooth sailing ever since.
Old 12-27-2010, 08:06 PM
Slot Fish

Default Thanks Jason and REW

That definitely helps. Heres my take.

Since the units come with a gps puck I will probably install one with each unit. I hate that jerky screen when it updates slower.

What is the difference between the 1197 and the new 1198? Only the 1198 is listed on the HB site.

Do you wish you had the 898 to get the DI and SI information when working on the bow. Also, would I need to install a switch to control the transducers?

And I'm guessing that there are changes acoming with HB's networking future?

REW, I'm shying away from Lowrance (although I have used them for years) because the CS and dependability issues are weighing on me. I guess in years past when I would drop 3, 4 or 500 dollars on a unit I was more apt to replace them if things went bad. Now, at the potential cost of moving to a networked system that has jumped in both technology and cost disproportionally to income, I am, for lack of a better term, freaking out about the decision. At times I wonder if a coin toss is the best solution.

Thanks again, Bill
Old 12-27-2010, 08:15 PM
Wallhanger

There have been times that I've wanted to have a look at SI from the bow unit. However, I do most of my trolling, slow or fast, with the kicker, so I get all the info I need from the console unit.

The 1197 is the 10" model that is being superseded by the 1198. The 1198 will offer a brighter screen and an updated processor relative to the 1197.

Not sure how the ethernet network will work when the unit is connected to an independent transducer. We'll learn a lot more in a couple weeks, once the system is rolled out by the factory. Maybe Joby will hop in and address that issue.
Old 12-28-2010, 07:21 AM
Keeper

Default HB

As a true rookie at the "newer" units available, and a limited budget, my brother-in-law urged me to call Humminbird Support. When I called, they were absolutely helpful. They were on the phone with me for about a half hour while they explained the ins and outs of all the units, ethernets, etc. They even helped steer me to a unit which would fulfill my needs and advised me on the set up, chip compatiblilities, and everything. Don't be afraid to call, they are great to work with there. My new unit works great!
Old 12-29-2010, 01:15 PM
Wallhanger

Thanks Jason, I think I will need to find the interference kit too.
Old 12-31-2010, 03:59 AM
Cedarsac

Default I feel your pain! this may help you!

First on this web site there are a number of very honest and knowledgable guys that will steer you correctly. I am going to share with you my thoughts, for what it is worth. I run a 1890 Pro V, tiller. I treat the bow and tiller each as separate stations. Thought about networking but not to that point yet. Before the current LCD'S came out I ran two flashers in the bow one was connected to a rear ducer to give me transome location and the other flasher for bow depth however I put a sheet metal screw to tilt the ducer a bit forward to give me a look ahead mainly to follow structure contours and to see what is ahead. Old fashioned but worked. Anyway today I have a Lowrance 38 HD, using the transducer in the Terrova motor in the bow with its own GPS puck for location. I split the screen on the 38 for GPS location and depth. I am looking to add either a Hummingbird or Lowrance for down scan only, to give me a clearer picture of a expanded area in the bow. In the rear I have a Lowrance 104C for depth and next to it a Lowrance 27c for GPS/map only. I am looking to add a structure side scan unit in the tiller station. For my style of fishing I am thinking I will scan the area with side scan, I will back troll for precise breakline locations. In the front I will forward troll with bottom bouncers or pitch jigs and crankbaits, depends on what I see with side scan as far as structure. I can see the merits of networking spots from the side scan to the front, so this is technology worth adding. I also like the 38HD in the bow for trolling crankbaits, I put the trolling motor down, set the 38 hd for large numbers for depth and foward troll my crankbaits. This allows me to
see depth changes and adjust accordingly instead of waiting till the boat travels 18' and the rear ducer picks up the contour change. Each of us fish differently according to enjoyment and success. Hope this gives you a little insight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by williep99 View Post
After months of following the Lowrance/Humminbird (see, no g, so I am paying attention) threads, I am ready to move beyond my existing Lowrance 104 and 135. I get by with my limited knowledge of electronics and their operation but here's where I am beginning to struggle .

I'm at BassPro yesterday and putting my hands on the HDS units. I begin asking questions regarding my scenario and the sales guys eyes begin to glaze over and he probably wished he had picked the customer to either the left or right of me. But he's game and goes and gets an LSS unit box and we look at the directions trying to find out how the networking system works. He calls over another guy and we get through the questions but I need a bit more clarification before I lay out what I consider a ginormous amount of cash. Even more complicated by this decision is having to pick a brand since now that networking is almost a norm, or will be in the future.

I had made my decision to go Lowrance since their networking seems to be better than HB. But the CS side and alleged dependability factor have now swayed me to HB. My worry with HB is the networking capability.

My layout is thus. I envision using the down and side scan from the console while traveling at speed, trolling with the kicker, and generally looking for specific structure or schooling fish. Mark it with the GPS and troll or spot fish to my hearts content. The 1197 SI seems to fill that need nicely.

I have a 101 I-pilot on the bow with universal sonar. I fish from there alot. It buys me some seclusion from the chaos of the wife, kids, and 2 dogs that run rampant on the boat. And when using an anchor, the spot lock, or slow trolling the electric, I love the control I get from that seat. What I don't have there currently is the ability to mark with GPS or look at decent lake mapping. Looking at this position, either the HB 898c or 898c SI seems to be appropriate. I would link both together with and ethernet cable.

My understanding of the networking is this. The back of the boat transducer will cover standard graphing, downscan and side scan. It is hooked directly to the console unit. The universal sonar on the bow mount I-pilot is hooked directly to the 898 and will only give my standard sonar. Both have GPS capability but can they use the same puck? Or should I wire in the second puck so they each have their own? A big concern is if I can "share" GPS info between the 2 units. I also understand that each unit would need its own Lakemaster card to get that lake information also.

I don't think the front 898 would be able to see the downscan or side scan from the rear transducer? Any help here appreciated. When I'm at the front I question the need for the down and side scan. While it seems cool I'm not sure I could even mount the additional transducers to the I-pilot since it already has the universal sonar "puck" and I would have to work around that. Also, my understanding is that you need a certain amount of speed for those to work correctly. These are my reasons for deciding on either the 898c versus the 898c SI.

Barring the boat purchase, this is my biggest capital outlay and I hope to make the right decisions.

Thanks, Bill