Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
HDS 5 Once again will not show my trails - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Electronics

Old 06-17-2010, 01:02 PM
Keeper

Default HDS 5 Once again will not show my trails

In an earlier post regarding my HDS 5 not showing my trails as I travel had been solved by updating my software to version 3.0.

The fix was transitory. As I now travel my trail will not show on my screen. I've done a soft reset and I could get a trail. However, when I turn my unit off I get no trail on rebooting my unit.

Any Lowrance person, or others, that have a recommendation?

It is most frustrating to say the least as I'm now fishing in Little Traverse, Miles Bay, Sabaskong Bay and other areas of Lake of the Woods.

Thanks for any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-17-2010, 04:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob888 View Post
In an earlier post regarding my HDS 5 not showing my trails as I travel had been solved by updating my software to version 3.0.

The fix was transitory. As I now travel my trail will not show on my screen. I've done a soft reset and I could get a trail. However, when I turn my unit off I get no trail on rebooting my unit.

Any Lowrance person, or others, that have a recommendation?

It is most frustrating to say the least as I'm now fishing in Little Traverse, Miles Bay, Sabaskong Bay and other areas of Lake of the Woods.

Thanks for any help.
There are two ways to shut your unit down. One is to hold the Power/Light button down until the unit shuts down. When you shut down this way, it does not (HDS Units) automatically "save" stuff like trails. It might one or two days in a row, then all the sudden, it won't.
The "other" way, actually the proper way to shut down an HDS unit is to push the light/power button once quickly and a pop up menu will appear. Scroll down to and highlight "turn power off" (can't remember "exactly" what it really says at this moment), hit the enter button. By shutting down your unit this way, it will save all of the little changes (including trails) that were made to the unit that usage period. Give this a try and see if it will help!!
Old 06-17-2010, 07:05 PM
Keeper

Thanks for the reply!

I do shut down my unit by pressing the power button (not holding it down) and then scrolling down to the "turn power off" button and then press the enter button to shut down.

To clarify the trail that is not showing is the "thread/kernel" laid down on my screen as I motor over the water. That trail is not present.

The button in the menu that must be turned on for trails is turned on.

Lowrance in their update 3.0 mentions something about a bug fix for trails.
My supposition is that there is still a software problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-17-2010, 08:24 PM
jc64

Default your help

Go to trails,waypoints and make your you click the new trail button
also make your your nema 2000 wires are not toughing each other......take them off seperate
Old 06-17-2010, 08:25 PM
Charter Member

Press and hold the WPT/FIND button and select trails. If there is no trail in the list, highlight new trail and press ENTER.
Old 06-18-2010, 05:06 AM
Keeper

I believe that I've caused confusion by the use of "trail" terminology. Or, my understanding of how my unit is supposed to lay down a trail (kernel/bread crumb) on my screen as I travel is faulty.

On my 332 C unit and on my first HDS-5 unit as I traveled I could see my travel arrow lay down a trail on my screen. (My first HDS-5 was faulty and Lowrance replaced it with a "new" unit.)

My new HDS-5 unit would some times lay down a trail but most of the time would not. A soft reset, as recommended by Lowrance, helped but did not solve the problem as when I turned the unit off and then turned it back on no trail was present, and no trail (kernel) would be laid down. Or, sometimes my travel trail would be shown on my screen and then for no apparent reason even though the travel arrow would still show travel, no trail would be shown on my screen.

I traveled 24 miles yesterday, no record of my travel (kernal/trail) was shown AS I traveled and when I go into my trail menu to see my trail no trail is present.

My understanding is that if the menu icon for trails is turned on then a record of travel would be laid down.

Bob
Old 06-18-2010, 06:41 AM
Charter Member

Bob,
It is true you need the Trails selected like you described to display the trail but you also need to have a active trail recording so the HDS can display a trail. If you don't have Trail001 in your HDS you will not have a trail to display. I have attached a screen shot of what you should have in the Trails files. Follow my directions to get to this window from my previous post. The replacement HDS may not have a Trail active in this window and therefore you have no trail to display.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	New Trail.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	13.2 KB
ID:	5098  
Old 06-18-2010, 09:45 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawker View Post
There are two ways to shut your unit down. One is to hold the Power/Light button down until the unit shuts down. When you shut down this way, it does not (HDS Units) automatically "save" stuff like trails. It might one or two days in a row, then all the sudden, it won't.
The "other" way, actually the proper way to shut down an HDS unit is to push the light/power button once quickly and a pop up menu will appear. Scroll down to and highlight "turn power off" (can't remember "exactly" what it really says at this moment), hit the enter button. By shutting down your unit this way, it will save all of the little changes (including trails) that were made to the unit that usage period. Give this a try and see if it will help!!
I always shut down my 7 by holding the power button. It saves all my changes all the time. Never had an issue.

As stated, make SURE you have an active traile selected and RECORDING.

-Eli
Old 06-18-2010, 06:41 PM
Keeper

I'm not sure how much things have changed on the new units but on my lms525 when i power up the machine and as it starts up it has a couple warnings that pop up and a position aquired that pops up. well when you clear those pop up you can either do it by pressing exit or by pressing enter. When ever i use exit my trails are gone but if I use enter they remain saved. Not sure if that will work on yours but worth a try.
Old 06-19-2010, 05:07 AM
Keeper

Thanks everyone for your suggestions!

I'm on my way home from Lake of the Woods. Left a day early due to high winds. When I get home I will apply the suggestions provided and hopefully that will solve my problem.

Will let you know if my problem is resolved.

Bob