Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Trailering a tiller and keeping the motor straight - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Old 10-13-2011, 10:21 AM
Keeper

Default Trailering a tiller and keeping the motor straight

I have a lund tiller with a 90 hp Mercury without any steering assist and there doesn't seem like any easy was to keep the motor striaght when towing. I want it to stay straight so it stays on the transom saver and also doesn't push and bounce against the splash guards. The previous owner said he would just tighten the steering tension thumb screw all the way but even with it tightened and tight as I can get it it still moves after some bumps. The only thing I've been able to do to hold it is run a ratchet strap from the two transom supports and around the base of the handle. I really don't like doing it this way though and it's really a hassle to do everytime. Anyone have any suggestions?

Joe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-13-2011, 10:25 AM
Charter Member

Joe,
I've found that this style of transom saver (with the 4 pads) works the best for holding the motor straight.
HRG
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Transom bracket 005.jpg
Views:	593
Size:	348.2 KB
ID:	12035   Click image for larger version

Name:	Swivl-eze.jpg
Views:	300
Size:	39.1 KB
ID:	12036  
Old 10-13-2011, 10:37 AM
Wallhanger

Definitely use the transom saver..but, MarineTech sells some outboard motor stabilizing clips for trailering..under their Detwiler product line.
Might have something to fit your engine...?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-13-2011, 10:37 AM
Wallhanger

What HRG suggested ...

Morton
Old 10-13-2011, 10:46 AM
Super Moderator

http://marinetechproducts.com/pages/OutboardStabilizer

We've always used these clips. However, if you want to save some money, the same thing can be accomplished by cutting two pieces of heavy duty hose and making your own stabilizers with that.

Juls
NPAA#89
Guide (Lake Erie Western Basin)
Vexus DVX22 Merc 400 Verado
Humminbird Helix 12s
MinnKota Terrova 112
Old 10-13-2011, 11:24 AM
Keeper

Thanks for the responses. I'll have to take a look at those stabalizers as that seems like the solution. I've used the attwood transom saver before and I don't think it would fix the problem although it would help. I didn't go with the attwood one this time cause I have a roller trailer now and didn't wan to crawl under the trialer to clip it on everytime.

Joe
Old 10-13-2011, 11:35 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Mac View Post
Definitely use the transom saver..but, MarineTech sells some outboard motor stabilizing clips for trailering..under their Detwiler product line.
Might have something to fit your engine...?
Not a bad idea, but the Mercury Co-Pilot tensioner device does not extend past the port side enough, or has a "stop" to attach a clip to.
Earlier this year, I made a custom length rod, that was long enough to stop flush with the tilt-tube when turned to starboard, that the clips would work with. But, I abandonded the concept and put the Titan steering system back on.
HRG
Old 10-13-2011, 12:46 PM
Charter Member

Put a large ram ball on your tiller mount.
Then put another large ram ball on your boat in a convenient location to work with the ram mount to keep the motor stable.

This would be identical to the idea that folks use to stabilize the head of an electric trolling motor.

Just pop the mount on the two balls before getting out of the boat and you are good to do. Rock solid stable.

The other thing that you can do, is to have a big motor to little motor bar for your motor.

Mount a mounting ball on your motor steering frame. Mount the other end of the steering arm to a convenient location on your boat.

To use, snap the arm off of your motor and let it lay in the splash pan.
Before leaving the boat, hook the arm back up to your motor and you are good to go. Rock solid stability. This method would work even better than a ram arm and associated mounting balls.

REW
Old 10-13-2011, 05:21 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juls View Post
http://marinetechproducts.com/pages/OutboardStabilizer

We've always used these clips. However, if you want to save some money, the same thing can be accomplished by cutting two pieces of heavy duty hose and making your own stabilizers with that.

Juls
Good idea, Juls. !!
Like that cheap black plastic drip-line or irrigation type hose.., I suppose, eh?
Old 10-13-2011, 05:23 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Runr Guy View Post
Not a bad idea, but the Mercury Co-Pilot tensioner device does not extend past the port side enough, or has a "stop" to attach a clip to.
Earlier this year, I made a custom length rod, that was long enough to stop flush with the tilt-tube when turned to starboard, that the clips would work with. But, I abandonded the concept and put the Titan steering system back on.
HRG
Ok.. Gotcha, Terry.

Last edited by T Mac; 10-13-2011 at 05:27 PM.