Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Ice Shanty Construction - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 08-27-2002, 06:53 AM
Wheels

Default RE: Ice Shanty Construction

I agree with the wheel idea!! I made the same mistake you are about to make! Honestly, if you are planning on fishing without a partner ever, put wheels on it!!! It may cost you a little extra right now, but you won't regret it later.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2002, 07:52 AM
Jason

Marco,

I 15th the idea of a wheel system. It's no fun trying to shove something onto a snowmobile trailer. Been there. The easiest and most cost effective way for a nice shanty is to find an old pop up camper. My dad finds them all the time for 50-100 bucks. The key is to find a big one. I think mine is 7X13. Most of them already come with the furnace and cook top stove in them. Just crank up the top all the way and tear all the fabric out. Next, bolt a few 2x4's around the outside to hold the roof up. find some old windows and plywood and your all set. I even saved the door on mine so I built that in. The only disadvantage is that it sits up on the ice. I put smaller tires on to help this. I cut holes in the floor and took 10" x 24" tubes and stuck them down the holes. This keeps the wind out. You can drive down the road at 70mph with this rig.
Send me your email if you want some pictures or any more questions.

Jason
Old 08-27-2002, 10:05 AM
Keeper

Jason:

dowds4@msn.com

I'd like to see some pictures of your shack.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2002, 10:49 AM
Wallhanger

Jason:

I too would like to see your pictures. Thank you!

walleyeguywi@yahoo.com
Old 08-27-2002, 01:07 PM
Minnow

Marcopolo, where do you live? I spent several years planning and hired a excellent carpenter to build mine. It is 5 by 8 and very lightwieght. The floor is 4 by 8 and the other foot of floor space is where you pull all of the fish from. It is state of the art, I have yet to see a better ice house for under 5 bills. Your wlcome to come and check it out. I think you will like it. This thing is slicker than snot on a hoe handle!
Old 08-28-2002, 05:11 AM
MarcoPolo

I am in northern Wi (oneida county). I would only be moving my shanty a maximum of one-half mile on the lakes I fish, and hauling it only a few miles down any road. Would love to see any drawing or pics. mph@newnorth.net
Old 08-28-2002, 05:16 AM
MarcoPolo

I am in northern WI. Have any pics? How is yours constructed? mph@newnorth.net
Old 08-29-2002, 03:15 PM
Charter Member

Eric; I received your email but there was no address included. For anyone who wants diagrams of the ice house and retractable wheel system leave me a personal message with your snail mail address (click on the icon at the top of this post). Sorry; I don't have a picture scanned at this time. I will be getting a new scanner when I get the new computer. Until then no pics.