Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Demo boat, too many hours! - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Old 06-20-2010, 08:13 AM
Keeper

Default Demo boat, too many hours!

Recently I purchased a demo boat that was advertised to have 130 hours on it. After sending payment for the entire boat and driving 750 miles to pick it up, the boat actually had 250+hours on the 250 V-rod. I didn't make a huge stink about it, because I had already driven that far and paid for it, but now am having second thoughts, since the hours on it will REALLY affect resale/trade-in value.

Should I have thrown a fit or asked for a deeper discount? Just curious how all the rest of you WC'ers would handle this. Not going into names or anything else, just wondering. My wife tells me that sometimes I need to 'grow a set' and handle these kind of things different.

Appreciate any/all comments and advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2010, 08:23 AM
Keeper

Default demo boat

The first mistake you made was paying the full price for the boat before you got a chance to check it out. If you have the number of hours as advertised in writing then you could have used the higher hours to negotiate a lower price. How did you find out the actual hours? Have you talked to the seller about your concerns? Next time bring your wife with !!!!!
Old 06-20-2010, 09:03 AM
Charter Member

It too late now.
NPAA #499
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2010, 09:03 AM
Wallhanger

What's the difference between a 'used' boat, and a 'demo' boat? I used my boat a ton last season, and at the end of the year had 80 hours on the main motor (I have a kicker for trolling). 130 hours seems like a lot of hours to advertise the boat as a 'demo'. A buddy of mine bought a boat as a 'demo' and it had 38 hours on it.

If the deal is done, I'd say rack it up to 'buyer beware'. You should have asked for documentation of the advertised 130 hours before writing the check, in my opinion.
Old 06-20-2010, 09:21 AM
Charter Member

I know it is hard to think of everything when buying a new or new to you boat, you should make out a list on paper of everything you need or want to ask about the boat and take the list with you. Before you talk price go completely over the boat and add to the list any more questions you want to ask. It may also help to take a fishing buddy with you that knows boat and motors, let him look it over and see what he would ask.
The time to get everything answered is before you even talk price, once the price is agreed and the papers signed it almost always too late if you find something not right.

Rebs
Old 06-20-2010, 09:35 AM
Starcraft Fish & Ski

You say that the boat was "advertised" with 130 hours on it. If you can prove this, tell the dealer that you expect some financial discount due to false advertising. If he refuses, contact an attorney to see what your options might be. I don't mean to pile on but your wife may be correct. Good luck and if it were me, I would have no problem making public the dealer that shafted you.
Old 06-20-2010, 10:29 AM
Keeper

Default demo boat

First of all you did not say what year the boat was. If it was in '09 I would say that the dealer used the boat as his personal water craft and racked up a lot of hours pulling tubers or skiers. I purchased an '05 621 in '07 and it only had 84 hours on it. But in two years of a lot of fishing I personally had put another 200 + hours on it. Remember "SHOW ME THE CARFAX". I am not sure what you can do. If he advertised as 130 hours and you immediately had the computer check done before putting it in the water I would say that you have a litttle leverage. If anything call the Better Business Bureau in the city where the dealer is put in a complaint.
Old 06-20-2010, 10:40 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starcraft Fish & Ski View Post
You say that the boat was "advertised" with 130 hours on it. If you can prove this, tell the dealer that you expect some financial discount due to false advertising. If he refuses, contact an attorney to see what your options might be. I don't mean to pile on but your wife may be correct. Good luck and if it were me, I would have no problem making public the dealer that shafted you.

Sounds good to me, I'd only make the dealer public if I had documented proof he cheated you.
There's two sides to every story and your side in writing makes it much easier to believe when one says one thing and the other says another. imho

If it'd been 10-20 hours I'd probably just blow it off, but this is more than just a bit extra.

Al
Old 06-20-2010, 10:48 AM
Keeper

Mtelkhunter,

I would defiantly pursue the issue with the rep you bought the boat from and hopefully before you used the boat. If I recall you were going to pick it up and then hit the river so that may not be the case already.

Never the less.... I would pursue the issue till you are blue in the face! Remember this.... The squeaky wheel gets the grease! And in this case I think you were treated poorly! Also there is always someone else up the ladder to complain to. It may take some research online but you should be able to fing the guys boss that you bought it from.
I would guess the guy you bought it from was working a commission deal on that rig and was looking out for number 1 when he made the deal. However it may have been a simple mistake and if brought to his attention and given a chance to make it right he may work with you.

Whatever the case may be I would go after this guy until you get something you feel is satisfactory!

Take Care!

JT.

A friend will help you move.
A best friend will help you move a body!
Old 06-20-2010, 01:33 PM
Keeper

If you can find papers stating that the boat was advertised with 130 hours, then I think you still have a great case for false advertisement! I would check into it, I would be pretty mad if I found out my boat had double the hours on it as advertised!