Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Triton 186 Allure boat questions? - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Old 03-20-2017, 08:15 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waresdom View Post
I have a buddy with a 186 Allure and he fishes a ton of walleye tournaments on Lake Winnebago every year. It can handle the big water. I have personally fished out of it and it was great. Huge dance floor in the back.
Anybody coming from a tin boat to a mediocre glass boat will think it rides like a Cadillac. Put a mediocre glass boat along side a top rated glass boat like a Ranger, Yar-Craft, Lund, or Skeeter and you will see the difference. There's a reason those mentioned are thousands more for the same size boat. Another boat that uses the same old Champ hull is the Stratos. How ever, the Stratos dealer I know was not afraid to freely admit it unlike the Triton dealer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	385XF_trailer.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	223.5 KB
ID:	249010  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2017, 10:11 AM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by rks View Post
Anybody coming from a tin boat to a mediocre glass boat will think it rides like a Cadillac. Put a mediocre glass boat along side a top rated glass boat like a Ranger, Yar-Craft, Lund, or Skeeter and you will see the difference. There's a reason those mentioned are thousands more for the same size boat. Another boat that uses the same old Champ hull is the Stratos. How ever, the Stratos dealer I know was not afraid to freely admit it unlike the Triton dealer.
I'm not coming from a tin boat. I have the 206 Triton Fisherman. Does it ride as good as that? Obviously not, but there is nothing wrong with the 186. I've seen that boat keep up with the big boys in rough seas. I don't want to get into a match about which boat is top rated glass boat but Triton is among them. The reason a couple of those cost thousands more and it's not because of the build or fit and finish. It's because of the name.
Old 03-20-2017, 10:15 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waresdom View Post
The reason a couple of those cost thousands more and it's not because of the build or fit and finish. It's because of the name.
Nothing to do with the materials made or the R&D put into them? I think you're misinformed...

And no, I'm not bashing any boats/brands but they are not built/designed the same. Yes, the Triton MAY have been built on the same line as a Ranger, but that does not mean they use the same materials. And if they do indeed use the old Champion hull that means they spent no money in R&D for that hull. Just paid for the old mold. They can then effectively pass the savings on to the consumer.
Old 03-20-2017, 10:53 AM
Keeper

I just got of the phone with my dealer and he discussed in detail the Triton boats. First the 206 is a new Triton design from top to bottom. The 186 is a Champion mold that has a completely new top cap and a reworked hull. They altered the transom and also did some reworking in the bow. So those who said it is a Champion boat are technically correct. He also said these changes improved the ride making it stronger, dryer, and softer. Unfortunately it still doesn't quite compare to a 206 as far as a big water boat. But neither does any other 18 foot boat compare to the 20 foot.

So as always price creates compromise! I will be taking a much closer look tomorrow.
Old 03-20-2017, 11:26 AM
Wallhanger

I checked out the triton allure 186 and the stratos 386 xf extensively. I had dealer tell me the allure 186 hull was modified by triton for better ride. I then looked at the stratos 386 xf and noticed the hulls are exactly the same. Also, while I believe the triton allure 186 and stratos 386 are well built, they are not built to same level as a comparable ranger of that size, for instance the angler 1880 ms. At least that was my findings and I'm very interested in construction/materials since I am engineer and seek to know every detail.
Old 03-20-2017, 01:54 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakerides View Post
I just got of the phone with my dealer and he discussed in detail the Triton boats. First the 206 is a new Triton design from top to bottom. The 186 is a Champion mold that has a completely new top cap and a reworked hull. They altered the transom and also did some reworking in the bow. So those who said it is a Champion boat are technically correct. He also said these changes improved the ride making it stronger, dryer, and softer. Unfortunately it still doesn't quite compare to a 206 as far as a big water boat. But neither does any other 18 foot boat compare to the 20 foot.

So as always price creates compromise! I will be taking a much closer look tomorrow.
If the Triton dealer is who I think it is, I'm glad he's finally admitting it's the old Fishunter 186 champ hull. When they first took over the champ hull, and put a Triton badge on it, he swore on a stack of bibles, it was a brand new hull, 100 percent designed and built by Earl Bentz with absolutely NOTHING in common with the Champ. Look at the intro photos I posted and judge for your self. This is why I swore I would never buy a boat from a dealership that could not be honest with you and it all left a bad taste in my mouth. Sound like he's still fudging a little. But I would consider the Stratos as the dealer was quite honest with the linage history to the Champ.

Last edited by rks; 03-20-2017 at 01:58 PM.
Old 03-20-2017, 02:17 PM
Minnow

Perhaps completely unrelated...but what happened to the old Triton 192 Allure hull? Did that one get moved to a different brand in the merger?
Old 03-20-2017, 02:36 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper2 View Post
Perhaps completely unrelated...but what happened to the old Triton 192 Allure hull? Did that one get moved to a different brand in the merger?
I bet they will tweak that hull and bring it back 7-8 years my guess
Old 03-20-2017, 08:41 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by MERCONLY View Post
It's no Secret that they moved Production about a Month ago

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You don't have to lie to sell whatever it is you are selling these days....
Old 03-21-2017, 08:36 AM
Keeper

I've run a 186 Allure since July of 2014 on both Green Bay and Lake Winnebago. Feel free to message me with any of your questions.