Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
HDS-10 Users=Inconsistent Green Bottom Fuzz - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Electronics

Old 03-05-2010, 08:53 AM
Minnow

Question HDS-10 Users=Inconsistent Green Bottom Fuzz

I am searching for those HDS owners who notice the inconsistent green fuzz that shows up on the lake bottom whether it is the lake's flats or breaklines. These fuzz lines create a guessing game for me when I am searching for those eyes that are tight to the bottom. I own the HDS-10 and the LCX-110. My 110 is wonderful with its bottom color tracking mode. I am very effective and confident when searching for belly bottom eyes...it is so evident when the green arcs scatter the bottom. However, my HDS-10 creates a guessing game when I search for those same fish...the fuzzy green shows on areas/breaklines that I have fished in the past with my LCX 110...but it interferes with reading the tight bottom....I'm frustrated. My buddy's HDS-5 also has the green fuzz going up the breakline and down the breakline. He turns around to search the area again and the fuzz goes away and he gets a pretty distinct bottom tracking. It is so inconsistent. So much so, that it becomes a guessing game in which I am not sure whether the arc above the green fuzzy line is fish that are off the bottom or whether the top of the green fuzzy band is the bottom itself...I know this is a bit confusing so I have attached a few pictures of the great bottom reading with the LCX110 and green fuzzy of the HDS-10. Please take a look, and I would appreciate any feedback.

Are there HDS-10 owners who have a perfect bottom reading all the time...?

I have contacted Lowrance...I sent my first HDS-10 in for water problems...I used my second all last summer...both units have had this fuzz...the unit dims itself once in a while too...strange...waypoints upside down too...ready to send in..kind gentleman from Navco told me to do the latest update first...could be transducer, but I would love to hear from you guys...I'm ready to send in and pursue a new transducer...

Thanks,

Slapdriver Click image for larger version

Name:	HDS green fuzz.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	3769

Click image for larger version

Name:	HDS green fuzz4.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	88.7 KB
ID:	3770

Name:	HDS green fuzz3.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	88.1 KB
ID:	3771

Name:	HDS green fuzz7.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	88.4 KB
ID:	3772

Name:	LCX110perfectbottom2.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	41.8 KB
ID:	3773
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2010, 05:53 PM
Keeper

i myself had that same prob when i was fishin on shapr break lines with my new hds 7 exactly what u got another freind of mine had it on his hds 8 n we couldnt figure out what it was or why it did that i had other issues with my unit so i sent it in n got a brand new one so i havent been able to try it yet still got ice here but it sure was totally confusing when i was markin that same green fuzzy bottom n guessin if there was fish in it or not and it did it the whole time i had the unit so i thopught it was just another way of bottom readin man i wish i could help ya more but we coul;dnt figure it out either so we both sent ours in he switched to the hb unit i will stick with my lowrance n see if this one is better if not i deal with it there to dam pricey to keep sendin back in least for me good luck in ur findings and ill keep a good look out for others to on other sites
Old 03-05-2010, 10:29 PM
Minnow

Thanks for the response SoulFulCry! At least I am not the only one out there. I too am waiting for the ice to vanish to try possibly a new software update...or another dang transducer...I'm ready to pull the trigger on the Down/Side Imaging...but trying to clean all bugs up before the purchase. If you find anything new with this issue, please keep me posted.

Thanks.
Slapdriver
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2010, 05:36 AM
Keeper

I have a HDS7 and I beleve when I got it last spring I seen the samething when fishing the Detroit River, if I remember right when I turn off the Depth Line it help correct it. I think I also changed Palltte colors.

Depth Lined on, it displays a dark line over the bottom surface, it's suppose to making it easier to distinguish the bottom from fish, trees and other objects. I didn't think it help, it might be better now in my unit after the update that I did but I have never tryed Depth Line again.

On my HDS7 you go to the view menu highlight Depth Line then press enter to turn it off/on. If I get out next week on the Saginaw River I'll check the Depth Line and report back.
Old 03-06-2010, 12:23 PM
Minnow

Thanks chitterchad! I have also played around with the depth line setting. Whether I turn it on or off I still get the thick bottom line. At first I thought it cleaned it up, however it became apparent that it only defined the bottom as a white line or black. I have played with the pallete colors, and it still presents fuzz but in different colors. Thanks for checking it out and testing yours. I really do appreciate people's thoughts and troubleshooting. Thanks again!

Slapdriver
Old 03-07-2010, 08:08 AM
Charter Member

I suggest changing the palette from 13 to 1. I have never liked the palette 13 (bottom tracking mode on the LCX/LMS). Test palette and show us some more screen captures.
Old 03-07-2010, 08:17 AM
Minnow

Thanks Doc. I will try that as soon as I get open water. I am used to the bottom color tracking where the green is a stronger echo. What color is the stronger echo with the other palette screens? Yellow=stronger Blues=weaker?

Again, thanks a bunch.

Slapdriver
Old 03-07-2010, 08:22 AM
Charter Member

Yellow, red, blue
It is much easier to see bottom hardness changes on palette 1 than palette 13. Bottom hardness is very important for many types of fish.
Old 03-08-2010, 08:43 AM
Charter Member

Try the palette 13 with the sonar sharing turned off. You can just disconnect the Ethernet and see if there is any difference. Since the HDS and LCX are different the sonar sharing can be different than with 2 HDS or 2 LCX models.