Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
struggling to load boat straight. - Page 4 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Trailers and Tow Vehicles

Old 09-08-2014, 11:29 AM
Keeper

An "all roller" trailer doesn't normally use keel rollers. They typ only have pads to keep the keel from scraping the trailer cross member.

http://www.midwestindustries.com/documents/manuals/07SLXR30BL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2014, 03:13 PM
Charter Member

True, but if you like, you can get a trailer that is a combination keel roller and roller hull support type trailer.

Be safe
Old 09-08-2014, 03:16 PM
Charter Member

A picture of a trailer with keel rollers and side hull support rollers.
Scroll down the page until you see the picture of that trailer:

http://www.bassresource.com/bass-fis...-boats-weight/
Old 09-09-2014, 08:11 AM
Wallhanger

You guys are much deeper into this than my quick read gets me..but, a WC tip from a couple of years ago might be in order. It totally cured my roller trailer problem of not loading straight.

Are the right and left roller sets in each course EXACTLY equal distances from the trailer centerline? I found that one of my sets was closer in by 1/4" than it's counterpart. After correcting, the trailer loads perfectly every time now....
Old 09-09-2014, 01:09 PM
Keeper

Thanks for more information GBS, REW, and everyone who has helped me along this far.

REW when I went to replace the keel roller bracket and roller like you suggested the first thing I noticed was the old one was starting to crack on the right side where the bend is. I had bought a new one from boattrailerparts.com and of course it didnt work correctly. The up/down adjustment was already as low as it could go with the old bracket. With the new bracket the holes for the 5/8 shaft dont come out straight as the old bracket and raise the shaft close two inches higher compared to the old bracket. I was already maxed out on my adjustment as low as it could go with the old bracket so I was stuck using the damaged one still.

The last time I was out I really started looking closer as my roller sets with the boat off the trailer. The back sets are in good shape, they seemed to have equal play in both sides front back and side to side. No rolllers seems over worn or that they were sticking. When I started looking closer at the front set that is on the the same cross brace as the 12 inch keel roller it was obvious that the left side was in far worse shape from the right. Which I think would make sense since the back of the boat always wants to shift to the right side of the trailer. It had a ton more play up and down compared to the right side bracket. I would say the rollers on the left side had another at least 4 inches of play up and down compared to the right side and about three more inches of play side to side compared to the right side

I have came to the conclusion that the whole left side assembly in the front needs to be replaced. I have been in contact with shorlandr but the guy I talked to said he highly doubted they would have that whole assembly for replacement due to how old it is. I really dont care if I have to replace both sides with new parts, or a new design anymore as long as I can get the problem fixed.

Any suggestions on a good set of aftermarket rollers and brackets that will work on this trailer? Maybe a small set of bunks for the front? Also does anyone carry different styles of the keel roller brackets that the ears arent raised up on bracket for the shaft? I need one that the bracket is level across for the shaft and not raised up.

Thanks for all your help guys. Really do appreciate it.
Old 09-10-2014, 12:39 PM
Keeper

I like Guide rollers. More often tha not my favorite launch site is grand central station when we are leaving and keeping the boat straight without side roller guides is almost impossible when the PB's are playing their games

http://www.veveinc.com/shop/Boat-Tra...FWho7AodjFMAOQ
Old 09-12-2014, 06:49 AM
Wallhanger

I had the same problem until I added a Stoltz keel roller at the rear of the trailer. I also raised the height of all the keel rollers so there was more weight on them. As always the trailer must be not be submerged far enough that the keel rollers are ineffective while in the water.