Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Alumacraft vs Fiberglass - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Old 07-17-2011, 09:50 AM
Slot Fish

Default Alumacraft vs Fiberglass

Everyone seems to love their Ranger 1850 and 1862, Triton Alure 192, and equivalent Skeeter and Lund glass boats.

Just curious how something like the Alumacraft Trophy 185 or 195 would compare with similar engines and trolling motors. They seem a touch less expensive, and I know Alumacraft has a good reputation. How would you evaluate the fishability, station keeping, trolling tracking, inside room, etc. to the glass boats?

Alumacraft also makes 3-4 models of 18' + boats, is one funner/better to fish from than another (Trophy, Dominatar, Competitor, etc.)
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2011, 10:19 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Hemstreet View Post
Everyone seems to love their Ranger 1850 and 1862, Triton Alure 192, and equivalent Skeeter and Lund glass boats.

Just curious how something like the Alumacraft Trophy 185 or 195 would compare with similar engines and trolling motors. They seem a touch less expensive, and I know Alumacraft has a good reputation. How would you evaluate the fishability, station keeping, trolling tracking, inside room, etc. to the glass boats?

Alumacraft also makes 3-4 models of 18' + boats, is one funner/better to fish from than another (Trophy, Dominatar, Competitor, etc.)
I have some friends with Alumacrafts and they are fine boats. There are advantages to glass boats, but it's not like tin Lund and Alumacrafts are garbage in comparison. I wouldn't say I'll never own another tin boat, but it's highly unlikely.

Last edited by Wade B AKA: Ruger2506; 07-18-2011 at 06:55 AM.
Old 07-17-2011, 10:36 AM
Gordon Sumner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Hemstreet View Post

They may compare equally in speed, room, layout, fishability, ect.....

But when it comes time to compare smoothness of ride, dryness of ride, and overall ride quality, there is no comparison.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2011, 01:37 PM
Wallhanger

Default tin has advantages over fiberglass

Trophy is cool boat no doubt but softest driest boat goes to Fishmaster or superfisherman. Lunds are also great including Crestliners have there own advantages. I had glass and will not go back. You can not paint them, they get spider cracks easily. For fishing boat I think tin in only way to go plus resale. Now ive never fished out Ranger 621 and for money they better be real nice. What is $65k ranger worth after few years I doubt anything over $40k so that's $20k hit right there something to think about. I guarantee they will be fastest hull and smoothest if that's important. Layout is super cool on newest Rangers but so are tins.

Last edited by beeman; 07-17-2011 at 01:42 PM.
Old 07-17-2011, 01:51 PM
Keeper

I have a 2002 alumacraft tournament pro 185, it didn't break the bank when i bought it, I've used it all over the great lakes & ony wish I went with a larger boat!
I think the trophy's have the same hull, only with higher sides. I have a 150 Johnson on it, best I've ever seen was 46 mph on gps. The hull rides really nice, it has a decent amount of room for trolling.
If they didn't have the top compartments on the gunnels, I wouldn't hesitate buying a trophy 195/205 based on my experiences. I have downriggers mountes & Berts tracks on top of the gunnels now, I wouldn't be able to mount the holders/riggers how I like them with the top opening gunnels.
Sorry, I can't help with a comparison vs. the glass boats. Good luck in your search!
Old 07-17-2011, 02:47 PM
Keeper

I had a 04 trophy 175 with a 140 4 stroke for 5 years. I have owned a '10 Skeeter WX 1850 for just over a year now. Both boats were bought new. In my book, the Skeeter FAR outshines the Trophy in every category. In addition, I fish with live bait exclusively early season and a separate baitwell is something I don't ever want to do without, which isn't an option on the Trophy. Almost all of my fishing is on big water (mille lacs, winnie).

Alumacraft makes great boats and if I were going to buy another tin boat, they'd be on the top of my list but after having a glass boat, I can't see myself going back.

I think you will find guys that are equally as enthused with their Trophy's as I am with my Skeeter, so the best advice I could give you would to be to get in both boats, check out all the storage available as well as other features, then if you could get on the water with both boats in some rougher conditions, you would be able to make a informed decision.

Lastly, when I was shopping, I didn't see much, if any difference between the price of a new Trophy vs Skeeter, equally equipped. Good luck.

Last edited by Kdawg1966; 07-17-2011 at 02:49 PM. Reason: pricing info.
Old 07-17-2011, 08:30 PM
Minnow

My last boat was a 17ft Alumacraft with a 115 Evenrude. Very nice boat, but....my home water is Lake Winnebago and when she gets rough you'll take a beating in your aluminum boat or you'll stay home.
Upgraded to a Ranger 619 3 yrs ago. No comparision. If your going to fish primarily smaller bodies of water you'll be OK.
Check into used glass boats, that's the route I went. You can easily buy a used glass boat loaded for the same as a new aluminum.
Old 07-17-2011, 08:38 PM
Charter Member

A glass or aluminum boat can have equal space and fishing capability.
But, glass boats can be made in shapes that are impossible for metal boats.
As a result, if you have a well designed glass boat - the ride of a Glass boat will be vastly superior to even the best designed and built aluminum boat.

Your choice.

REW
Old 07-17-2011, 10:37 PM
Slot Fish

Lakes and big water glass. Mississippi and smaller water tin for sure. I fish mostly the miss, and I put my crestliner places I wouldn't want to take a glass boat. I've been in the big rangers, and they ride the best of any I've been in. Good luck!
Old 07-18-2011, 06:56 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by willyd5 View Post
Lakes and big water glass. Mississippi and smaller water tin for sure.
I'm not so sure about that. Mississippi (Pool 4) is my home waters. There isn't anywhere I would have taken my Wetliner that I won't take my Skeeter.

Last edited by Wade B AKA: Ruger2506; 07-18-2011 at 07:09 AM.