Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Home Grown Tackle:The Wonderful World of Jig's - Page 44 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Home Grown Tackle > HGT Archives

Old 03-23-2012, 08:34 AM
Keeper

You shouldn't have any problems with the Hard as nails and the smell does go away. I have cought hundreds of eyes on bucktails I tied using H.A.N.

I actually use H.A.N. on my thumbnail as years ago I whacked my thumb with a hammer and permanently damaged the cuticile. Ever since then, the middle of my thumbnail is very weak and tears easily. If I am not careful and catch the nail on something it will tear right down the middle = PAIN.
Anyhow, the stuff holds up real well getting wet (showers,rain etc)and I have never noticed any smell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanH View Post
Thanks for the feedback regarding Hard as Nails. I just get nervous with that smell. I took another bottle of clear polish from my wife that seems to have less smell. I will see if it holds up as well. I know what the Hard as Nails that the thread will not move its rock hard. I guess I just have to see how they work out. I will keep the hard as nails with me in the event the other starts to fail.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2012, 08:39 AM
Keeper

Good job SDJ. Those look really nice!
Old 03-23-2012, 01:46 PM
Wallhanger

Location: Philadelphia PA Suburbs/The mighty Delaware/A dirty beach in Jersey

Quote:
Originally Posted by drbrand View Post
Here is a tip. When you are powder painting your jigs, take a piece of tinfoil and tear off a pea size and wrap the jig eye with it. Then you can go ahead a heat it up, dip the jig, and then take off the tin foil while it is still hot. It will leave you with a clean jig eye that requires no jig eye buster and you don't have to worry about roughing up the eye of the hook.

I'm sure it would work well to also do this when dipping or spraying paint.
I'm gonna have a couple of hundred to paint soon I will try that!Sounds like it might just work!Aluminum foil is amazing.

FC
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2012, 03:13 PM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishincrazy View Post
Those are very nice now will you fish rubber on them?

FC
Yes i will be throwing plastics on there.

One thing i learned is that if you heat your jig to much before dipping, it will clog the eye. Figure out how long to heat it so the powder sticks but doesn't clog the eye.
Old 03-24-2012, 06:54 AM
Wallhanger

Location: Philadelphia PA Suburbs/The mighty Delaware/A dirty beach in Jersey

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdjiggerman View Post
Yes i will be throwing plastics on there.

One thing i learned is that if you heat your jig to much before dipping, it will clog the eye. Figure out how long to heat it so the powder sticks but doesn't clog the eye.
Sweet are you a gulp man?I want to try the triggerX baits this season.I've heard allot about them.

FC
Old 03-27-2012, 01:50 PM
Minnow

yeah i have used gulp alive quite a bit with mixed results. have not used trigger x but may try it this year.
Old 03-29-2012, 01:25 AM
Minnow

I seem to be having a problem with my powder paint not chipping off of the jig after using it for a while. i always bake mine in an oven for about 10 minutes but it seems like after banging rocks and the bottom the paint just chips off and i loose all the color. so what do you guys do to stop that or fix it? i've heard about clear coating them but i dont know whats a good clear coat? any suggestions?
Old 03-29-2012, 04:00 AM
Minnow

Bake them longer, I do 325 for 20 + minutes
Old 03-29-2012, 07:47 AM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishincrazy View Post
Sweet are you a gulp man?I want to try the triggerX baits this season.I've heard allot about them.

FC

I tried Trigger X vertical jigging last spring and the fish went nuts over it. It outfished guys using Gulp and plastics at least 3 to 1.I used the 4" minow but many ( I have read on the mississippi River board) prefer the 3" minnow. This year the Trigger X doesn't seem to work as well but then again, nothing seems to be working real well this spring.

I have used and do like Gulp Alive but if I had to choose I would go with the Tigger X if for nothing else it doesn't turn to concrete on your jig if you leve it exposed to air too long. Also, those Gulp Alive containers are just a PIA. I unknowingly had GA 2 containers tip over (with the covers on) in the boat last year and a week later found all the juice inside had leaked out and the baits inside had hardened up = two tossed tubs of GA

TX is worth a shot IMO.
Old 03-29-2012, 07:54 AM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2XL View Post
I tried Trigger X vertical jigging last spring and the fish went nuts over it. It outfished guys using Gulp and plastics at least 3 to 1.I used the 4" minow but many ( I have read on the mississippi River board) prefer the 3" minnow. This year the Trigger X doesn't seem to work as well but then again, nothing seems to be working real well this spring.

I have used and do like Gulp Alive but if I had to choose I would go with the Tigger X if for nothing else it doesn't turn to concrete on your jig if you leve it exposed to air too long. Also, those Gulp Alive containers are just a PIA. I unknowingly had GA 2 containers tip over (with the covers on) in the boat last year and a week later found all the juice inside had leaked out and the baits inside had hardened up = two tossed tubs of GA

TX is worth a shot IMO.
trigger x hardens up as well... i left 1/2 dz in my wading box rigged up and all are like rocks now