Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Convert 12 volt system to 24, or use jumper plug? - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Old 06-28-2017, 08:54 AM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBS View Post
That diagram seems to be for situations where you want both 12 and 24v to be available at one plug. Is that what you intend?
Roughly, what is your current setup? How many batteries, near or far from each other, do you have - and whether there are 4 wires going to your current plug, or only two. Do you just want 24v at the plug end for a TM, or is something else going on with the electricity at that end too?

From your first post: It sounds like you may have two separate batteries, each with it's own wire pair running to the plug. So yes, you could combine one pos/neg pair to be the new neg run, and the other pair to be the positive run, with a jumper between the remaining pos and neg battery terminals. That would give just 24v at the plug. Make sure the plug you use can handle the increased amp/voltage. Many plugs used in 12v systems just can't handle the increased volts/amps in a 24 v system (pigtail wires too small, terminals inside too small, etc.) If you are reusing the plug, make sure that the same two wires coming off one plug termination go to the same post on the battery. And the other pair coming off the other go to the other post.

So is this diagram correct?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4645.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	486.1 KB
ID:	264394   Click image for larger version

Name:	image1.JPG
Views:	64
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	264402  
Lowrance HDS-9 and two HDS-12s
Minnkota Terrova and 12' Talon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2017, 09:07 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImpactFishing View Post
So is this diagram correct?
What color wires exist currently? If there is a red and an orange, I would use those for the positive side, and then the black & black/stripe for the negative side.

HRG
Old 06-28-2017, 09:09 AM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Runr Guy View Post
What color wires exist currently? If there is a red and an orange, I would use those for the positive side, and then the black & black/stripe for the negative side.

HRG

2 pairs of red and black wires. Here is how the receptacle is wired.

If I wire it like the diagram I posted, what kind of breakers do I need? Right now both positive leads have 40 amp breakers. Will that suffice?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_4642.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	493.3 KB
ID:	264410  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2017, 09:13 AM
Keeper

Quote:
That diagram seems to be for situations where you want both 12 and 24v to be available at one plug. Is that what you intend?
Roughly, what is your current setup? How many batteries, near or far from each other, do you have - and whether there are 4 wires going to your current plug, or only two. Do you just want 24v at the plug end for a TM, or is something else going on with the electricity at that end too?

From your first post: It sounds like you may have two separate batteries, each with it's own wire pair running to the plug. So yes, you could combine one pos/neg pair to be the new neg run, and the other pair to be the positive run, with a jumper between the remaining pos and neg battery terminals. That would give just 24v at the plug. Make sure the plug you use can handle the increased amp/voltage. Many plugs used in 12v systems just can't handle the increased volts/amps in a 24 v system (pigtail wires too small, terminals inside too small, etc.) If you are reusing the plug, make sure that the same two wires coming off one plug termination go to the same post on the battery. And the other pair coming off the other go to the other post.
I have the 12/24 Marinco jumper plug, will that work? The receptacle is good, says 12-24 volt on it. Will I need to rewire the receptacle? It has 4 wires running into it right now
Old 06-28-2017, 09:33 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImpactFishing View Post
Where your batteries in 12 volt parallel or 24 volt series. If they were 12 volt, what were you using for breakers? I don't think the two 40 amp breakers on the current 12 volt system will suffice.
I used the regular 50 amp breakers as the inline ones were in a battery compartment you had to move 5 rods to get at if you needed to reset they were not cheap bought them several years ago do not remember where I think Fleet Farm
Old 06-28-2017, 09:48 AM
Charter Member

this would be so much easier if your boat was backed into my garage, since I don't have a Marinco 4-wire plug and socket in stock to look at.

Going back thru my notes, it appears as though the terminals labeled A- and B+ would be the ground (A-) and 24V positive (B+), and the jumper that is currently in the TM plug goes from A+ to B-. Can you confirm that?

If that is the case, I would take both black wires, and connect them to A- on the socket. Then, both red wires would go to B+ on the socket. At the battery, the 60amp breaker you need would be as shown.

Let me know if this is clear enough.

HRG
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Marinco 4-wire.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	418.6 KB
ID:	264434  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Marinco 4-wire.pdf (390.0 KB, 77 views)
Old 06-28-2017, 05:27 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Runr Guy View Post
this would be so much easier if your boat was backed into my garage, since I don't have a Marinco 4-wire plug and socket in stock to look at.

Going back thru my notes, it appears as though the terminals labeled A- and B+ would be the ground (A-) and 24V positive (B+), and the jumper that is currently in the TM plug goes from A+ to B-. Can you confirm that?

If that is the case, I would take both black wires, and connect them to A- on the socket. Then, both red wires would go to B+ on the socket. At the battery, the 60amp breaker you need would be as shown.

Let me know if this is clear enough.

HRG
Thanks for your help HRG. The plug hasn't actually arrived quite yet, but I will confirm when it does arrive.
Old 06-28-2017, 06:07 PM
Wallhanger

Is this the plug? http://www.marinco.com/en/2018bp-24

And is this the already wired socket you have? http://www.marinco.com/en/2018br-mb

Marinco's "Tech Sheets" leave a lot to be desired. Easy enough to hook the trolling motor up to the plug, but wiring the socket seems to be clear as mud....
Old 06-28-2017, 06:14 PM
Wallhanger

And here's a thread from a couple of years ago about the same issue, with comments by HRG and REW:

https://www.walleyecentral.com/forums.../t-482737.html
Old 06-28-2017, 06:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Is this the plug? http://www.marinco.com/en/2018bp-24

And is this the already wired socket you have? http://www.marinco.com/en/2018br-mb

Marinco's "Tech Sheets" leave a lot to be desired. Easy enough to hook the trolling motor up to the plug, but wiring the socket seems to be clear as mud....
Yeah, no kidding. I found this diagram of the socket once, where the back-side is labeled A+, A-, B+, B-, and it looks like the socket his current wiring is attached to.

In reality, the current plug is now rated to 60 amps, and he could use the 4-wire scheme, but I still don't trust the internal jumper, and he would need (2) breakers.

HRG
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Marinco 4-wire socket.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	103.0 KB
ID:	264562   Click image for larger version

Name:	Marinco 4-wire internal jumper burnt.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	277.3 KB
ID:	264570