Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
lund livewell - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Old 07-31-2011, 09:58 PM
Minnow

Default lund livewell

2002 Pro V Lund, many problems with livewells not filling but the pumps keeps humming. i am not a contortionist so it is very hard for me to actually access the pumps. This is my second set of pumps in this boat. There are two holes in the bottom of the livewells, one is for the drain plug, what is the outside threaded hole for?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2011, 04:58 AM
Slot Fish

On my 1998 Pro V I sometimes have to put it in reverse and back into the waves a bit to prime the pump. Once it starts to pump it will work fine. The second hole in the bottom of my livewells is for recirculation.
Old 08-01-2011, 08:33 AM
Minnow

Default lund livewell

Thanks, do you have a screened screw on cover over the re-circulation hole and how do you keep water from coming in that hole if you want the well dry?
Old 08-01-2011, 08:50 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodfish View Post
2002 Pro V Lund, many problems with livewells not filling but the pumps keeps humming. i am not a contortionist so it is very hard for me to actually access the pumps. This is my second set of pumps in this boat. There are two holes in the bottom of the livewells, one is for the drain plug, what is the outside threaded hole for?
From your last question I can see that you don't understand this livewell system.
You are certainly not the first to be in that position.

Here is a short explanation.

That other hole is the one that allows water to return to the pump when in the "recirc" mode.
"Recirc" closes system, so you can pump while on plane...or where legal, while on the trailer.
This hole also allows the livewll to drain if the valve is in the "empty" position.

If you want to bring (outside) water in... from the lake...... put the switch to "fill".

The "empty" and "re-circ"" positions open the valve in that pipe that goes to that threaded hole.

So... when you put the boat in the water... have the valve lever on "fill"... this allows water into your livewell system...including some showing up in the rear livewell...and now your pump is primed...before even turning on the pump.

Normally people screw things up by leaving the valve on "fill" when they take off to their next spot...When they get to their next spot, the pump has either drained or pumped itself dry, is air-locked (empty) and can't pump.
When they get to the next spot... no water is pumping....and naturally, they blame the livewell system.

At this point... simply move the selector lever to "recirc" and leave it there for about 3-5 seconds. This will allow water from the livewell to drain back to...and prime, the pump.
The air clears.....and turn on the pump, and you are back in business.

Check out the photos here: http://www.flow-rite.com/marine/prod...alves/v4-valve

I can't remember if this is the exact model for 2002... but it is the same general set up....if not exact. The one thing not shown in this photo is the intake pipe for bringing freshwater in from the lake.

Last edited by T Mac; 08-01-2011 at 08:54 AM.
Old 08-01-2011, 04:34 PM
Wallhanger

to shortly sum it up, T Mac nailed it!
my 01 pro-v has the exact issues with the livewell's losing their prime. when i go under power, i turn my pumps off and just as i get to my spot and "that wave" follows my boat a little too closely, i kick my pumps back on and don't have issues with it losing prime.

otherwise like t-mac stated, turn it to recirc for a few seconds then back to fill and you should be golden.

if that doesnt work, you will have to turn your pump(s) on. then open up the access to your pumps and crack them open a bit until you can get some water to flow thru them
Old 08-02-2011, 08:15 AM
Minnow

Thank you for the livewell lesson, i appreciate your time and excellent explanation. Another question, I have been using the front livewell for storage, occasionally I need more space for fish or bigger fish (steelhead/salmon) and could use the front livewell to keep the back well from being overloaded with fish bodies;
1. Assuming I only use one well, which one would you recommend?
2. I usually don't fill my well until I catch a fish or when it is really cold ( I fish all year) i prefer to keep the well dry and fill by hand, how can i keep the well dry until I want/need water?
Old 08-02-2011, 08:32 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Thank you for the livewell lesson, i appreciate your time and excellent explanation. Another question, I have been using the front livewell for storage, occasionally I need more space for fish or bigger fish (steelhead/salmon) and could use the front livewell to keep the back well from being overloaded with fish bodies;
1. Assuming I only use one well, which one would you recommend?
2. I usually don't fill my well until I catch a fish or when it is really cold ( I fish all year) i prefer to keep the well dry and fill by hand, how can i keep the well dry until I want/need water?
1) Rear... I employ the same logic. as you.
------I only use the front in a situation like you describe... which for me is like, never. LOL

2) You have to plug the inlets, close the valve on the "on the fly pick up", and plug outlets)

But... just so you know...it won't be dry if if you get into wet conditions (heavy rains, lots of spray, etc) . The lids are not sealed.
Old 08-02-2011, 04:07 PM
Minnow

Gracias, I just took it out for a test run and all of your suggestions worked perfectly. Now i just have to repair two broken bunk boards.Thanks again for your time and be safe out there.
Off to Banks Lake tomorrow to catch up with the summer crank bite.
Old 08-02-2011, 04:40 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Gracias, I just took it out for a test run and all of your suggestions worked perfectly. Now i just have to repair two broken bunk boards.Thanks again for your time and be safe out there.
Off to Banks Lake tomorrow to catch up with the summer crank bite.
One of my favorite places...good luck!
Old 08-06-2011, 02:07 PM
Minnow

T-MAC

I have a 2011 Lund Fury with just an on/off livewell switch. Often when I turn on the livewell I can hear the pump but no water is emptying into the livewell. After a minute or two the water gets in. Any advice in this case? Should I run the boat in reverse to re-prime the pump or just wait the minute or two? Again, I have no switch options, just on and off.