Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Anyone fished Sturgeon lake. - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Canada Eh? > Canada

Old 02-20-2003, 04:37 PM
Geoff

Default Anyone fished Sturgeon lake.

Heading up to Stugeon lake in July. First time, was wondring ig anyone could give me a rough guess on how many walleyes I could expect to run into. Also going to try some of the smaller off the beaten path lakes around that area. I'm taking a shot in the dark on this lake, hope that I'm not wasting my time. Any help would be good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2003, 06:31 PM
hoosiercanadian

Default RE: Anyone fished Sturgeon lake.

If you are speaking of the Sturgeon Lake that is north of Ignace, it is known as a very good lake trout lake, and good northern, it does have walleye in it, but I don't think the locals can even go out and know they are going to catch one. There are many good walleye lakes in the area, that will give you plenty of action, if you like to fish for lake trout Sturgeon is the place.
Old 02-20-2003, 07:26 PM
Minnow

Sturgeon lake is the lake i stay on, but don't even fish the lake for walleyes. it is just so massive it's hard to find them. But it is a great lake trout lake!!! i do fish the lakers there and have done quite well. gotta have a fish finder though to find the schools of minnows and the main lake basis. also get a good map and GPS and compas, cuz you can get lost on it very easy!!! mark reference point every 200 yards or so to find the channel to get you back to camp. Downriggers are a big plus if you have them, otherwise a huge weight about 3 feet ahead of a big muskie bait(rapala) is my favorite way to fish. The bigger the bait attracts that big fish. My personal best on that lake was a 22lber on a huge "grandma" bait. Try other lakes for walleyes and notherns though. I tried fishing for them for one day and almost got shafted, but one small 22 northern fooled it. If you can find them all the better fisherman you are, cuz i sure as ##### can't who wants to spend a full week trying to find them when i can go to another smaller lake and have my limit in an hour or so...good luck.
P.S. what resort are you staying at?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2003, 12:56 PM
Geoff

Don't know if we are going to pull the camper up or stay in a tent yet. What lakes would you recomend for walleyes? How are the roads getting to these lake and how many walleyes can we expect to catch? What do you use for bait/jigs or do you troll with spinners. If we have to rent boats to fish these lakes then we'll probably pull up the camper.Plan on staying at Whiskey Jack Lodge but could relocate if another lodge is closer.
Thanks for the help
Old 02-21-2003, 01:09 PM
Minnow

Geoff,

Send me an e-mail and i will get you the name of the camp that i have been going to. she has no website, but the place is pretty nice, and it is cheap as dirt($125 a person a week) That does not include a boat though. i've been going there for years and to tell you the truth, we only fish the last 2 hours of eveyday and get our limit of norhtherns and walleys. We then waterski the during the days and hike. i know, sounds weird to be water skiing in canada, but we have such a good time. Please respect me for not posting the name of the places i go, but would be happy to tell you in e-mail.
Techmonster

tebr9802@stcloudstate.edu
Old 02-21-2003, 11:16 PM
Minnow

I have fished Sturgeon Lake and the other posts have it correct.If you want to fish walleye you will need to go to the far north end of the lake and thats a long ride from Whiskey Jack lodge.Much better off trailering to the nort end or just try some of the smaller lakes in the area.