Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Walleye Fishing in Missouri??? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Strictly Fishing

Old 01-18-2013, 07:05 PM
Minnow

Default Walleye Fishing in Missouri???

Down here in the south there are Walleye believe it or not. Usually they aren't targeted as a species because not many folks know about them. My father and I have known about them for sometime around our reservoirs and the popularity is picking up. I've fished for walleye in MN and Canada and have caught some trophies. That said I would like to catch more walleye around my area. I live with in 20 minutes of Lake of the Ozark's, and an hour to Stockton, Pomme De Terre, and Truman. There are walleye on all of these reservoirs but finding steady walleye fisherman to share info with is tough going. Has anyone fished these lakes? We catch walleye in the early spring running up the rivers, around here the water rarely freezes solid so should I fish the rivers in the winter too? Were should I go with the water temp at 37 degrees or so? Deep points? Bluff Walls? Use a spinner rig? Jig and minnow? Fish deep brush? Any help counts here fellas. I am also wanting to get a new walleye boat but I think to keep from getting this deleted I should post my questions on that over on the boat side. Thanks again and good fishing.
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2013, 06:38 AM
Keeper

Default Lake of the Ozarks

Danny,

I have the same problem. I live on Lake Ozark. I have been told by the locals that the fishing below our dam continues to improve and now through May is the best time to target Walleye below the dam. Unfortunately, I haven't taken the time to explore it myself.
With the weather in the 50's today, I plan on chasing some crappie after my honey do list is complete for the day.

TonyO
Old 01-19-2013, 09:33 AM
Wallhanger

If the post isn't offensive or something, the mods will simply move a post with boat questions over to the "Boats" forum, rather than deleting it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2013, 02:55 PM
Keeper

This is the best walleye forum. Two specialized forums exist for the Ozark walleye fisher. I hope I am not offending anyone if I post this information, but these locations are special needs specific.

1. ozarkanglers.com
2. mo-walleye.com
Old 01-20-2013, 12:41 PM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyo View Post
Danny,

I have the same problem. I live on Lake Ozark. I have been told by the locals that the fishing below our dam continues to improve and now through May is the best time to target Walleye below the dam. Unfortunately, I haven't taken the time to explore it myself.
With the weather in the 50's today, I plan on chasing some crappie after my honey do list is complete for the day.

TonyO
Look for me out there Tony I'm usually on the Niangua arm fishing out of a 22ft Lowe deck boat. It's white with some crappie.com decals on it. I'm like you, If I can catch a limit of crappie I usually leave the walleye alone. I plan to focus pretty hard on them this year though. Especially like you said now through the end May I will be up the Niangua Osage arms and down below Bagnel quite a bit. Feel free to come right up if you see me and say hello. Or if you ever need a fishing partner don't be afraid to shout at me.
Old 01-20-2013, 12:45 PM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Mac View Post
If the post isn't offensive or something, the mods will simply move a post with boat questions over to the "Boats" forum, rather than deleting it.
Great thanks. I'm new to the form. I'm thinking about a used Tundra, Ranger 600 series, or a Triton used. Either that or going with a 290 new because they're going to be a lot cheeper than the Z21. I want glass or something that resembles such as in the tundra. I want something affordable and something I can troll all day in comfortably. Any suggestions would be nicely appreciated.
Old 01-20-2013, 12:46 PM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by rps View Post
This is the best walleye forum. Two specialized forums exist for the Ozark walleye fisher. I hope I am not offending anyone if I post this information, but these locations are special needs specific.

1. ozarkanglers.com
2. mo-walleye.com
Thanks for the links. I will check those out as well.
Old 01-20-2013, 01:15 PM
Keeper

Default will do

Danny
If I see you I will stop by.
I am in a 1990 Crestliner with a 150 johnson on the back.
I spend most of my time from the Dam to the 5 Mile Marker.

TonyO
Old 01-20-2013, 08:16 PM
Minnow

Danny (and Tonyo) RPS offered sound advice. Join those forums, ask questions, do some research. You should easily reach your 2013 goal. The Missouri Ozarks area offers some fine walleye fishing.

H
Old 01-21-2013, 02:22 PM
Charter Member

I too live in MO and fish Truman, Stockton and Mark Twain for walleye. The walleye numbers have steadily increased in MO over the years with the three mentioned bodies of water having fishable populations. The easiest place to start is below Truman in the tailrace usually starting in mid-February. Its freaky how many 10#+ walleyes come out of there in the spring. It would also sicken a lot of diehard walleye guys to see how many of those hit the frying pan too.

The mid-south impoundments can be a bit challenging for a traditional walleye fisherman at first. At least it took me a bit to get a handle on. One great source of information is the local MDC lake biologists. Every time I have spoken with one about "their" lake they were tripping over themselves to pass their knowledge along about walleyes locations and behavior on their specific body of water.