Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Garmin question, can anyone give me the answer - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Strictly Fishing

Old 04-30-2005, 08:50 PM
Wallhanger

Default Garmin question, can anyone give me the answer

I currently have a Garmin Vista hand held GPS. I also have some of the Garmin mapping discs. With these, I can send maps to the GPS and send data from the GPS to the computer.

I am thinking about adding the Garmin 178c to the boat. All I can find on these is that they use data cards. Is it possible to make data cards on my computer (which has a built in card reader/writer) from the discs I already have? If so, can I assume that I can transfer data back onto the computer from the data card. By data, I mean waypoints, routs, and plot trails.

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2005, 09:49 PM
Charter Member

Default RE: Garmin question, can anyone give me the answer

Generally speaking - Yes.

With the 178C - you will be able to use a usb data card writer, and quickly write information to your data card, using the Mapquest software.

As long as you have your data in this format, or can convert to this format, you will be able to write the data cards.

Take care
REW
Old 05-01-2005, 10:38 AM
Charter Member

yes. the blank data cards are the way to go. i have one card and save individual maps on my computer. i have a half dozen maps and depending on where i'm fishing i load one to the gps the night before. it only takes a few minutes. i have a usb card reader, but most of the time i hook up the gps directly. if you use a preloaded map card from garmin and write over it the original map is history. so unless you only fish one body of water, use the blank card. if you pick up street software you can use your 178 in the truck too.

when we lose the 2nd. amendment the others will be history too!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2005, 08:37 PM
Wallhanger

Jake, a couple more questions.

when you load direct to the gps (178), are you hooking the 178 up to your computer with the garmin data transfer wire. It would be nice if it is the cable I already have.

Are you writing to the 178's internal memory or on a blank card in the unit. I know when I load maps on the hand held, it only writes over the base map for the selected areas.

I like the idea about running the unit in the truck. I have the US topo set. It shows pretty good detail as far as the roads go, plus it shows quite a few of those dirt trails. When you use your 178 in the truck, how did you mount it.

Thanks
Old 05-02-2005, 09:40 AM
Charter Member

You can use the serial cable to your gps if you like. However, if you are loading a large data card; it takes a long time.

A much better idea is to purchase the USB data card programmer. this uses the usb 2.2 port of your gps, to transfer data to the card. It is about 10 times faster than the serial port. Very nice if you are transferring a large amount of data.

I purchased a couple of the 128 meg data cards, and the data transfer for these large cards with the usb programmer is under 5 minutes. With the serial port, it is about an hour.

--
I believe that the usb programmer is commonly available on line for about $39. Well worth the money.

After programming a data card, when the gps is powered up, the data is transferred to the units internal memory. Then, the bulk of the gps opearation is run from internal memory. You can look at the screen, and see a progress bar move from 0 - 100% as the data card information is transferred to internal memory. Of course, when the unit is powered down, the internal memory is cleared.

Take care
REW

Old 05-02-2005, 09:50 AM
Charter Member

i connect directly to the computer. the connection cable has a power supply. if you don't buy that cable you wont be able to install any updates. as far as i know the internal memory is read only. this forces you to buy a chip if you want to use anyting but the basemap. my unit is a 188 and the base map is pretty rudimentary. i haven't made a permanent mount for the truck. when i do i'll come up with something i can plug into my vans cupholder. if you plan to use your's in the truck on a regular basis get the external antenna. it's a bit of a pain to remove the external antenna to get access to the plug. i use mine on the boat more and i'd rather just have the one power/data connection to make when i'm loading up to go. on the map page in the menu you can select what maps you want to have on. i've never had a reason to turn the base map off, so if i were to run out of the map on the chip at least i can still use the base map. that did happen to me once on erie. when you buy your unit i'm sure you wil have many questions. i'm no tech but, feel free to ask. send a pm or e mail. the garmin tech support people are very good. when you call they will hook up a unit the same as yours and walk you through any issues that you may have.

when we lose the 2nd. amendment the others will be history too!
Old 05-02-2005, 10:25 AM
Charter Member

The following is a "typical" e-bay opportunity to buy the programmer.
Typically $30 on a buy it now.

If you buy it "retail", I believe it sells for $55.

Well worth the money in any event.

Another nice feature, is that you only need the data card, you don't need to have the gps by the pc to make the data transfer. Generate the map using mapquest, and use the data card usb programmer to program the data card.

Plug the chip in the programmer, hit transfer, and a few minutes later the transfer is complete.

It is nice to purchase several chips. that way, you can have one for your favorite lakes, one for main roads, and then one if you want detailed city data for a particular city, or another for topo information if you want to go that route.

--
For mounting in the vehicle, I simply use a 1X4 - that I have attached a ram ball. I use the ram mount that is on the gps, mount it on the ball, and slip the board under the console arm in the auto. I plug the power cord into the lighter socket and I am good to go. The gps is at finger tip reach and very convenient to use.

Take care
REW