Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Need drift sock advice - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 01-26-2003, 02:18 PM
Slot Fish

Default Need drift sock advice

Will those of you with drift sock experience please respond. I have a Lund 1800 fisherman. I am looking to purchase drift socks. Any candid advice for me given the size of the boat? A good wind starts me moving like a sailboat! Pros / cons of different styles and brands, where to purchase, what to definitely get or stay away from. How to properly store... anything will help me in these departments. Thanks in advance for your thoughts!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2003, 02:29 PM
John

Default RE: Need drift sock advice

Great question. I have a 1700 Fisherman and have 2 new dirftsocks that I have not used yet. I look forward to the responses.
Old 01-26-2003, 02:52 PM
curt

get slightly larger one than recommended. also i bought quick snap and a large orange float so can keep track of where it is. i bought mine at fleet farm, but should find them anywhere. with the quick snap i can very quickly change which side of the boat it is on and just leave the female ends on my cleats sp?, had lost 2 socks in the past years and the buckle snaps ended this. it's the way to go, i use mine extensively with no hassles now
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2003, 02:55 PM
Slot Fish

Thanks Curt. Can extra clips be bought to leave on each side? Also , which brand did you buy, and why?
Old 01-26-2003, 09:50 PM
curt

yea, the quick release buckle came with 2. i just leave them on the cleats the whole weekend. sorry,don't remember the brand but they are all very similar. i got the bigger one to slow troll down, mostly troll live bait for walleye. also don't have kicker yet so it works well with electric motor on front. in windy conditions i can turn power up so auto pilot steers better and still won't go too fast. if i remember correctly the box had a picture of gary roach on the front. i dont even hook up the line thru the middle to vary the water amount that goes thru it, we just leave it fully deployed, fewer headaches :) i have 18.5 ft. boat, got one for 20 ft. plus. hope this helps! ps.the buckles and float were extra item i bought, but very very well worth it!
Old 01-27-2003, 11:12 AM
Spike

The absolute best bar non driftbags on the market are made by JNB Origianials.Check out their web site at www.driftbag.com They are available everyewhere.
Old 01-27-2003, 12:44 PM
Minnow

I visited the new drift control website this weekend and it has some tutorials in there that might help you. No offense to JNB but I think the new Magnum Drift Sock from drift control which comes with a floating harness buoy is the best product on the market.

Check it out.

www.driftcontrol.com

Old 01-27-2003, 01:44 PM
Charter Member

Will second the motion for www.driftcontrol.com - get the ones with attached floats. Quick releases are good also. 60" and 50" will slow that lund down. Use smaller model for trolling forward. Attach to bow eye so bag deploys under middle of boat and you won't believe difference in boat control and reduced trolling speed. Very happy with the ones I purchased last year. Have 2 new brand X bags at dirt cheap price but you would be better off to go with the best.
Pete Harsh
Old 01-27-2003, 01:58 PM
Charter Member

Try Cabelas for drift socks. They have a better grade with built in weights and floats. That is very easy to use. Get one size larger than they suggest. Good luck.
Old 01-27-2003, 02:00 PM
Charter Member

Drift bags made a big difference for me last year. Although I used them a lot for drifting and a little for trolling, I am looking forward to using them even more this year - especially for the (already mentioned) boat control when trolling.

You won't regret getting them!