Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Help with Verado 250 Pro and Ranger 620 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Motors and Props

Old 05-03-2012, 03:59 PM
Minnow

Default Help with Verado 250 Pro and Ranger 620

Hello everyone!

I picked up my new 2012 620 a couple weeks ago and I'm now done with the break-in. Just my opinion of course...top end and the ride are incredible (I was in an Alumacraft 165 Trophy with a 115 before...so yup, I'm dig'n it!) but the hole shot leaves a little bit to be desired. I know it's not going to jump out of the hole as it's a big, deep, heavy boat with a 4-stroke but it sure seems like it could be better.

As the title states I have the Verado 250 Pro and it's swinging a Rev 4 (14-5/8" x 21") with solid PVS plugs in place. I'm not looking to switch props just adjust the venting to increase performance with the stock equipment. I've spoken with Mercury and they recomended a 9 step process (which includes ordering 4 sets of plugs mind you) to find the sweet spot. I'm more into dunking my boat in the lake and fishing than I am "performance tuning", any of you guys out there able to share some wisdom on this setup and save me a whole lot of tinkering around??

Thanks in advance!
Old 05-03-2012, 04:58 PM
Wallhanger

For starters, remove one plug at a time until the prop "breaks loose" when getting on plane. After you reach that point you can put one back in.

You may be able to run with all 4 open. You can fine tune (if you want) by drilling out the solid plugs.

FYI, the PVS holes ONLY effect holeshot.

-Eli
Old 05-03-2012, 06:37 PM
Wallhanger

Default plugs

take em all out, it wont break loose, then send it to John at DAH
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2012, 07:24 PM
Wallhanger

I run 1 solid plug in my rev 4 like it on my 621.21 pitch.
Derek LaPointe #7
Old 05-03-2012, 08:13 PM
Slot Fish

Default Vrod 620 Proping

I called John at DAH when I ordered my 620 with a 250 Pro Vrod for his advice. His response was a Rev 4-19. After reading many reviews, etc I was concerned John was mistaken. He called me back and reassured me the 19 was correct ( I wanted a great hole shot with 2 or 3 guys). The prop is perfect! Jumps out of the hole and races to 6400 plus with me and one other fisherman. Came from John with no plugs.....I was very concerned as the REV 4 -19 that came with the boat had all the plugs ( the one with no plugs I ordered tuned from John), my dealer was also concerned about putting the DAH prop on with no plugs but it it comes out of the hole unbelievable. I did have a chance to run the stock prop with all the plugs in and it was a lot slower out of the hole. I just got the second prop back from John. Just in time for my trip to the Whitefish chain in MN.
Bottom line, lose the plugs, you won't be sorry. For my liking, the 21 might be too much prop. Someone told me, john's reworked 19 is close (or is equal to a 20") so depending what your looking for you might be right on. Remember with a Vrod WOT should be over 6000.

Regards,
Gave
Old 05-03-2012, 09:09 PM
Wallhanger

Default dah

also have a reworked rev 4 19P from John, different boat, different motor, similar results as green, rocketship like holeshot, **** good top end with a huge load on board, doesn't matter what boat or which vrod(250 or 300), i would still want to be running near 6400 with a full load
Old 05-03-2012, 07:53 PM
Wallhanger

Default 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJEli View Post
For starters, remove one plug at a time until the prop "breaks loose" when getting on plane. After you reach that point you can put one back in.

You may be able to run with all 4 open. You can fine tune (if you want) by drilling out the solid plugs.

FYI, the PVS holes ONLY effect holeshot.

-Eli
Second the motion,worked for me.Chico