Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Oahe - Page 6 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Members Fishing Reports

Notices

Old 04-19-2017, 07:57 AM
Slot Fish

For years and years the GFP in SD have trapped big female spawning walleye and harvested their eggs. They stock other lakes in the state. You really think a few fisherman putting big fish back will have any impact on the big picture. SMH It would be nice if they would at least put some back in OAHE.

Guys, you really need to read up on the this. Slot limits on BIG lakes and resevoirs are not needed nor do they have any effect. The slot of 1 over 20" on oahe hasn't helped one bit. In fact even less over 20" fish are being caught. The smelt should be running right now on OAHE. Has anyone heard anything about anyone getting any? Any reports of a run anywhere?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2017, 10:28 AM
Minnow

Another example of the GF&P taking from the river but putting nothing back! I have nears that they take eggs from the river to restock other state lakes.
Old 04-19-2017, 11:43 AM
Minnow

Anybody that believes over harvest is the problem with lake Oahe is insane.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 04-19-2017, 05:10 PM
minnestoa walleye 3

Default regs work

thanks for the note Rowdie and the cut and paste on personal that make their paycheck from license revenue

OF COURSE they will contend fishing pressure has little impact and do not want to restrict potential anglers
from purchasing revenue generating license

in minnesota there are regs galore -- each fishery pretty much has its own restriction - look at winnibigosh and leech - 20 miles apart but totally different regs - why ?

GFP do great work - most of them are incredibly gifted people that have great devotion to wildlife resources
they answer to the boss which is basically the incoming revenue and tax dollars -- SD had a shortfall this year - can't be short there - plus you have resort owners and guides really pushing extended seasons -- i know this i helped them lobby

i see a huge drop off coming for some of these reservoirs -- you can already see the trend the last few years that it is tough to catch a keeper walleye size related as late spring early summer progress i know there are pockets where it is good but not even close to where it should be
Old 04-19-2017, 05:51 PM
Slot Fish

If regs work, like the one over 20", then why is it so rare to catch a fish over 20"? OAHE has had the one over for a long time now. Again, look at tournament results. Any team tat manages 2 overs, are in the $$, probably top 5. You can't compared lakes in MN to HUGE reservoirs like OAHE. Regs might work wonder on those lakes. To discount facts and data because licenses pay their salary is just nuts. Two systems that produce the biggest walleye in the USA have no slots, Erie and Columbia in WA. In WA they have no slots or limits on walleye, at least on the Columbia.
Old 04-19-2017, 07:47 PM
Minnow

This thread has been one of the most insightful and demonstrative posts I've read. I think this whole thread illustrates the the extent of the concern for our beloved species of fish (I think it applies to all other species of wildlife too).

- there are drastically differing opinions on the extent and cause of the concern
- there is little agreement to work together on a solution as people are so passionate about their individual opinions and solutions. ( I'm not nocking or trying to offend anyone as I am as passionate and stubborn as the next person)
- there is a drastic lack of funding to enact and/or enforce existing rules. Of which their effectiveness can be debated

All in all, it makes me appreciate the freedoms that we have, as well as the opportunities we have to spend as much time and money on a recreational activity while not solely trying to survive.
Old 04-19-2017, 08:26 PM
minnesota walleye 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdie22 View Post
If regs work, like the one over 20", then why is it so rare to catch a fish over 20"? OAHE has had the one over for a long time now. Again, look at tournament results. Any team tat manages 2 overs, are in the $$, probably top 5. You can't compared lakes in MN to HUGE reservoirs like OAHE. Regs might work wonder on those lakes. To discount facts and data because licenses pay their salary is just nuts. Two systems that produce the biggest walleye in the USA have no slots, Erie and Columbia in WA. In WA they have no slots or limits on walleye, at least on the Columbia.
well you need little fish to grow to big fish -- they pulled out hundreds of thousands of walleye in oahe - you keep saying look at the data - the data shows that over bagging hurts the resource - lake of the woods is an example - there are no overs because they were caught prior to reaching that -- ask the divers -- lake erie will soon catch up to depletion eventually - i do know erie is not a good example it is an inland sea basically with more biomass than it can handle so not a good comparison

why is oahe s other species at all time highs -- bass, northern and catfish - look at gfp net results they even admit it -- cut walleye limits and pull off slots - let the walleye eat those herring out of system -
Old 04-19-2017, 09:32 PM
Slot Fish

Actually the data shows that fishermen have little impact on the system.
Old 04-20-2017, 11:35 AM
Keeper

Default Fishing Pressure? Maybe not...

In one of the previous posts there was a mention of the fact that 50,000 anglers visit Oahe and the Missouri River system annually.

Well, let's say each guy gets his limit every time he hits the water....(not my experience, but just for the sake of argument)...and assume he takes home his possession limit every time, too.

That's 50,000 anglers times 8 fish apiece...that's 400,000 walleye a year out of the system. A lake the size of Oahe must have multiplied millions of walleye...I couldn't find even an estimate, so fishing pressure would probably have the smallest impact on the total walleye population.

Although F&G is planting 300,000 little fellers in the southern lake, so they are obviously very concerned.
Old 04-20-2017, 07:51 PM
no dak angler

Thumbs down actual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisher-man View Post
In one of the previous posts there was a mention of the fact that 50,000 anglers visit Oahe and the Missouri River system annually.

Well, let's say each guy gets his limit every time he hits the water....(not my experience, but just for the sake of argument)...and assume he takes home his possession limit every time, too.

That's 50,000 anglers times 8 fish apiece...that's 400,000 walleye a year out of the system. A lake the size of Oahe must have multiplied millions of walleye...I couldn't find even an estimate, so fishing pressure would probably have the smallest impact on the total walleye population.

Although F&G is planting 300,000 little fellers in the southern lake, so they are obviously very concerned.
the 50,000 anglers your are referring to above are just North Dakota numbers - so your facts are wrong