Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Buying a new vehicle UGH - Page 3 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Notices

Old 04-19-2017, 05:51 PM
Wallhanger

Aspencreek is right on the money. It's very easy to buy over the interweb. Most dealerships have a few folks that only work the internet sales. Take some time and look at a couple of your local dealers web sites -- find what you like. Take that price, vehicle and start shopping around from your desk. The dealer internet folks know you can go anywhere and get pricing so they're very quick to get to their best price.
Good Luck
2007 Triton 220 LTS, 225 E-Tec -- sold
2013 Lund 1800 Tyee, 150 Merc 4S -- sold
2015 Lund 2000 Alaskan SS, Mercury 4S 115 CT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2017, 05:44 AM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddog View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burr View Post
Yes, I have advice for you. You've bought 7 vehicles since 2004. Drive what you have for 20 more years.

That wasn't the point. But, for what it's worth. I still have the Yukon with 208K miles on it and a 99 pickup with 235K.

Surprised no told me I needed a new wife. http://www.walleyecentral.com/forums...lies/smile.gif
And down goes Burr...I agree with most of the advice that suggests having a price in mind and shopping it out via email/internet and see what comes back for offers. Presenting your upcoming vehicle purchase as a competitive process puts the dealer on the defensive side of the negotiation if they want to earn your business they have to find the vehicle and price that will allow them to compete.
Old 04-20-2017, 06:02 AM
Slot Fish

What I have found that I start off figuring out exactly what I am looking for, then I start looking up sale histories on truecar.com out to see a good range of what I should pay. The site shows what the best pricing has been in the area, up to the highest. I want to be in the bottom 10% and most dealers will be ok with that.

Then I check ebay to see where dealers that "wh0re out" on the internet are at in comparison. I also use craigslist. This will help back up your pricing range so you know if someone is trying to rip you off.

Once I know what I want, and what is a fair price, I begin looking on websites of local dealers to look at inventory and pricing. Once I find a few good options, I start using their "Online Chat" tool that all of the dealers now have. I do some negotiating there and I usually schedule a date/time to come onsite to drive the car I am interested in. They have it parked in front and ready. I verify all of my research and then finalize the deal at the dealership.

I have bypassed some of the CS stuff at the dealer. I have a local mechanic that is better than any dealership for work after warranty. Any dealer around you can and will do the warranty work. It really doesnt make sense to have a dealer do your service work out of warranty. They charge 30% more than local mechanics, and hire crappy help most times that they under pay.

Old 04-20-2017, 06:11 AM
Slot Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burr View Post
Yes, I have advice for you. You've bought 7 vehicles since 2004. Drive what you have for 20 more years.
Honestly, this is naive and really not helpful for the guy. He has mentioned he has a wife. He is purchasing vehicles for at least 2, if not for teenagers too. That is 7 vehicles in 13 years. Or one for each person every 3-4 years. Personally, I put on 40-50 thousand miles on my car every year. At 4 years, I have at least 160,000 miles on a car. Sometimes it is better to trade a car in at a certain point for value reasons.

Everyone has different life circumstances. I personally have 6 cars I am responsible for. Myself, My wife, My mother, 2 daughters, and a company vehicle.
Old 04-20-2017, 01:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddog View Post
That wasn't the point. But, for what it's worth. I still have the Yukon with 208K miles on it and a 99 pickup with 235K.

Surprised no told me I needed a new wife.
Hopefully you envisioned a little tongue in cheek and chuckle with the post.

Just thought I would help out. If you don't like a sour taste in your mouth, you could just stop doing it? lol...

At any rate - the industry seems to be well on the way to not having car salesman in the not too distant future. Several I know that manage dealerships expect internet sales will dominate future sales volumes. It's getting like described. Shop online, and drive to the dealership to pickup the purchase.
Old 04-20-2017, 07:01 PM
Minn guest

Talking

Have you ever let your wife do the negotiating on a vehicle? The last three cars my wife bought I looked them over and we test drove them togather, but she did the negotiating....After watching this the last three vehicles I understand why I never win arguments with her.lol
Old 04-21-2017, 06:39 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minn guest View Post
Have you ever let your wife do the negotiating on a vehicle? The last three cars my wife bought I looked them over and we test drove them togather, but she did the negotiating....After watching this the last three vehicles I understand why I never win arguments with her.lol

In my case that would keep her from "needing" a new car so often....good idea!
Old 04-21-2017, 08:26 AM
Charter Member

Tried that and her first question was why was the check engine light on her trade in... rolls eyes
Old 04-21-2017, 08:54 AM
Baffled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baseline View Post
Emotion usually drives the sales. Auto dealers are pros and we are the amateurs. The more the emotion comes down the better the process at least that's the way it works for me.
This the best post I've seen in a while and 100% true. People get to caught up in how much the dealer is making or what the salesperson is making in commission for shuffling some paperwork. Find what you like at a price and like and go for it. The pro's vs. dealers comment is spot on also. There's not a trick in the book they haven't seen. I'm quite sure you're not going to best a dealer in a negotiating process.

I'm in sales and negotiate for a living. I can see things coming before the buyer even thinks about it. It's because I do it every day. Not because I'm any smarter than they are.
Old 04-21-2017, 09:54 AM
Keeper

Just remember one key fact, Invoice pricing is the new MSRP. Forget the sticker. Always ask what the invoice price is and go down from there.
Helix 10SI w/GPS

Monterey, TN