Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Anyone running an Aluminum prop on a 150hp? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Motors and Props

Notices

Old 04-20-2017, 04:17 PM
Slot Fish

Default Anyone running an Aluminum prop on a 150hp?

I'm getting ready to pick up my repowered boat next week, I ask the dealer about props and he suggested that I stay with the Aluminum that comes with the motor(Mercury 150 four stroke). He mentioned Prop rattle when trolling as a reason. He did say that Stainless comes with Better performance, but that as a guy who fishes he suggests the Aluminum.

Does anyone run an Aluminum? How bad is the prop rattle with Stainless?
How much performance are you giving up with Aluminum vs. Stainless?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2017, 04:25 PM
Minnow

I do not run an aluminum prop. So I could not tell you the differences. Honestly, I don't know that I have ever seen an aluminum prop on a 150 Four Stroke. Sure they exist, just not as common. Hope someone will chime in for you.

I have never noticed any prop chatter or vibration though with my stainless prop.
Old 04-20-2017, 04:48 PM
Keeper

I've never seen a aluminum prop on a 150 either. Personally I wouldn't use anything but a stainless steel, and that seems to be the same feeling of the mass majority of boat owners.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Lowrance Elite 7 & 7X

Old 04-20-2017, 05:36 PM
Wallhanger

I switch back and forth between a stainless and aluminum depending on where I am fishing. If I am fishing on Lake Superior, Winnie, Leech, or Mille Lacs, then I run stainless. I make 8-10 trips to the family cabin in Canada every season- when there, I run my aluminum. With all of the rocks all over the Canadian Shield, everyone that travels with me runs aluminum.

Apples to apples, they perform fine for every day use. Compared to a same pitch stainless, they run a couple hundred RPM's higher, and a couple MPH slower. No big deal. They're cheap to fix or replace if we bang a stump or rocks in Canada- which happens regularly where we fish.

If you're not looking for high end performance, aluminum works fine. If I need to have a prop repaired, I send it to Ricky at Brainerd Props in get it back in a few days.
Old 04-20-2017, 05:39 PM
Wallhanger

On my Merc 150, I did notice a fine vibration at slow RPM's that I don't have with aluminum, and there is a noticeable cleaner shift when using the aluminum.

If you're willing to give up the performance, they are fine.
Old 04-20-2017, 07:55 PM
Wallhanger

Stainless all the way. I would never run an aluminum prop, less performance, easier to blow out and not as durable. I had an "incident" with some rocks when going through some rapids in Canada a few years ago. My motor was banging off the rocks, prop grinding into the rocks, the only way I was getting out of it was more throttle and more grinding. When I got through the rapids I stopped thinking when I lifted my motor there would be nothing left of the prop and that it was going to be a long ride back to camp with the 9.9 kicker! To my surprise, the prop had some rough edges but was hardly damaged. The skag was bent, had gouges out of the lower unit but the prop was not bad. When I took it to the prop shop go get it fixed I asked if an aluminum prop would have been better.........his answer was that an aluminum prop would have been mangled and I would have been heading to camp with the 9.9!! The new prop hubs will break lose before the motor breaks. I'll risk it and run stainless, all the time. The benefits far out way the negatives. I also don't put much trust in what the "stealer" has to say, I haven't seen a boat that came propped correct from the dealer yet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
MinnKota Terrova 80 w/iPilot Link
Humminbird Helix 10 G2N, 998HD Si, 959HD

Towed with: 2015 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel Laramie CrewCab 6'4" Rambox 4x4.
Old 04-21-2017, 07:13 AM
Slot Fish

That's a situation I hope to never be in! I found his suggestion odd but I have to pay for the Stainless if I want it, So it's not like he is saving money or has any ulterior motive. I msg'd Propmann he suggested a stainless for me. He also said that Flo Torq iv hub should help with prop Rattle.

has anyone had their prop balanced? What did that cost?
Old 04-21-2017, 07:30 AM
Wallhanger

Ricky/ Propmann is THE guy. Go with his recommendations. I was lucky enough to live in Brainerd until recently and used him exclusively. He knows walleye boats/ props......
Old 04-21-2017, 08:21 AM
Slot Fish

I have a spare aluminum prop in the boat at all times just in case I need it but it has only been used on one trip. Like others have said if you are willing to give up performance they work just fine. The prop chatter wasn't as noticeable with it for sure but I have virtually no prop chatter anymore on my stainless prop after switching to the FLow Torq IV hub like Propmann suggested. Because of that I would say go with stainless hands down. Really the only reason I have an aluminum spare is because it was cheap and I figured it would never really get used anyway.
Old 04-21-2017, 09:59 AM
Keeper

The previous posters are probably right with everything they have said. My dad has said on many occasions that if you have never seen the great white elephant, then you never know what you are missing. I have an aluminum prop and am very happy. Rarely am I at wide open speeds except in the early morning supper flat waters. If I am going to make the big turn I hit a quick trim down and never think about blow out. Joe