Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
alleghy river ? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Members Fishing Reports

Old 02-28-2003, 09:22 AM
Minnow

Default alleghy river ?

heading up to the pittsburg area on sat.. could anyone tell me the stream conditions. don't know if you got my e-mail shadowman but thanks again. hope to see ya up there sat. also would love to know color and depth to start at. if i read the pa creel limits corectly i assume you can keep 6 sauger 12" , and 6 walleye and/or saugeye 15". are they safe to eat from the river? also what is the average wieght to use for jig heads.

wallydvr
(formely wally)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2003, 01:39 PM
Wallhanger

Default RE: alleghy river ?

wally never got your e-mail, try again ( ctfaz@bellatlantic.net ) most people who fish there take the sauger to eat, i try to talk people out of taking the eyes right now unless of corse its a wall hanger, the walleye fishing is on the comeback right now and we try to do our part as far as catch and release goes but it is up to the individual themself to do their part, as far as fishing goes the river is up a few feet and off color but is fishable, and chartuse would be a starting color or just a plain jig and minnow, they could be at any dept from 8 to 30 ft, for me the fun is in finding them and than catching them, there will be several of us there tomorrow so if you need help i,m sure there will be someone including me to help you out, if the bite is still the way it has been in the last week i suggest you eat your wheaties cause you,ll need them.
Old 03-02-2003, 01:41 PM
Minnow

Wallydiver, I'm the guy in the jet boat who was fishing near you yesterday at HP. Here's some info on the rest of the Allegheny:

Where we were is just above Pittsburgh. Water is cleaner and scenery is better as you go up river. There are good free public ramps on all the pools except below Lock 6. All the other dams are a lot narrower than at H.P.

The upper dams may not be fishable at all this year before the season closes, because of ice. You can still catch & release after season closes. Most guys fish below the dams this time of year, but the creek mouths can be good also.

The further North you go, the sauger seem to get more scarce. They are there, but not like at H.P. At Lock 9, some days you don't catch any sauger at all, just walleye. There are more muskies and a few Northerns as you go North. Lots of smallmouth, plus some crappies and the usual river fish - big channel cats, flatheads, drum, etc. You have a legitimate shot at a really big eye. I know of fish over 14# and bigger. My personal best is only about 27", but I've got a few of those. I've only had a boat for about 5 years - I know the more experienced guys have done better than I have. A guy caught a 54 lb. muskie last winter, and I got one about 48".

If you want to fish below the dams, take US 422 straight to Kittanning. Mapsonus.com shows it as 71 miles, straight shot from Youngstown. You can easily get to Locks 9, 8, 7, and 5, all within about 15 miles of Kittanning. For H.P., Locks 3 and 4, you'd be better off to take the pike to Harmarville exit. Best bet right now might be Lock 7 at Kittaning. The ramp is right below the dam, with a bait shop and a Sheetz store right beside the ramp - can't beat it.

Fishing above Lock 9 is iffy for prop boats, but it can be done if you're careful and stay in one pool. I'll give you info on this if you're interested. You'd take I80 to Emlenton exit.

Here's a link to to the navigation dams - this particular one is for Lock 9 - all the other ones are on the same site.

http://www.lrp.usace.army.mil/nav/ld9.htm

E-Mail me if you have any questions...

carolcnm@portsys.net

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2003, 02:45 PM
Minnow

thanks roughneck i'll be up there during the week. i'll let u know how i do.
wallydvr
Old 03-03-2003, 12:50 PM
Minnow

hello roughneck,
did you catch anything at the river when you were there?
just curious. i would like to check it out sometime if i
ever get the chance to get out before season closes.
Old 03-04-2003, 07:58 PM
Minnow

Default RE%3A alleghy river %3F

I didn't do as well as Wallydiver - I only caught 8 or 10, nothing big. It was my first time there in about 3 years, and only my 2nd trip to HP ever. I'm going to try up at Lock 4 later this week - I'll post my results.