Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Losing bearing buddies - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Trailers and Tow Vehicles

Old 07-25-2011, 02:38 PM
Keeper

REW,yes they can support a lot of even weight but you don't get even weight by pounding.I do here what you are saying, but by pounding on the hub you can distort the bearing races and that can cause cracking.I worked for 35 years in maintenance and we did things like that all the time because we had to get something running,but when we had set down time we would go back and fix them right.If you ever take a bearing class they will say the same thing that is why they have bearing heaters.You could take the hub off the axle taking the bearings out including the outer races,or if you replace the bearings leave them in until you are finished.Then check the size of the bearing surface if they check out, sure the hub could be used.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2011, 09:50 AM
Charter Member

Drummer,
Well said and all good points.

As others have suggested, it is likely the best bet to simply buy a new hub when you began to throw buddies and not look back.

Just make sure that when removing and replacing dust covers or bearing buddies, that you either pry, or reinstall with the dust cover and or bearing buddy parallel to the installation surfaces of the hub to not ever distort or bell out the end of the hub and you will be good to go.

Right on with the bearings and the bearing races.

REW
Old 08-05-2011, 06:57 PM
Minnow

Default trailers

Have eagle 8000lb trailer.bearing buddie popping of rear axle called eagle trailers or i guess yacht club now.They informed me inner id of hub milled @ factory a little to much.It pops of reguarly.Trailer still under warr its been a week i guess they put me and there trailer on the back burner for a while.I will keep you updated on there disposition.......D.D.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2011, 01:34 PM
Slot Fish

Default Bearing buddies

Put a bead of silicon where the bearing buddy and the hub attach. Make sure to let it dry before pulling trailer down the road otherwise it ends up on the rim instead of where you put it. When you need to take them off just use a knife to break seal. Be sure to clean the area well before application.