Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Lund Impact 1775 cavitation and other issues - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Old 04-24-2017, 10:14 AM
Minnow

Default Lund Impact 1775 cavitation and other issues

Hello,

So I have a 2016 Lund Impact 1775 with a Mercury 115 on it. I'd like to first say I will likely never purchase or recommend a Lund product after the problems I've dealt with on this new boat with maybe 10 hours on it. I've also received virtually no help from Lund or my dealer. Basically stating it's normal. Our last boat was a 1990 Sylvan with a 110 Evinrude that ran without issues whereas this new boat has been a PITA.

Onto the problems....

It cavitates REALLY bad, unless you have the trim perfect which seems to be all the way to the left (not in the middle which is where I'm use to) it won't get up to speed easily and feels as though the motor is causing a lot of drag if that makes sense.

If and when you turn you have to keep adjusting the trim otherwise it sounds like the motor is over revving and the boat slows down very quickly.

It also seems to go through gas quickly and I'm guessing that's because of the issues I'm describing. It just seems like the motor is having to work very hard.

Hard steering to the left is also another thing.

So anyone else have these problems? We've thought about trying a trade in for an AlumaCraft or something. This boat has just been an annoyance because of these issues I pointed out. Could a new stainless prop help and maybe moving the motor? Just sucks you can't get a new boat without having to mess with things. It currently has a 4 blade Mercury prop that the dealer gave to me to try.

Last edited by Anders31; 04-24-2017 at 10:26 AM.
Old 04-24-2017, 10:24 AM
Wallhanger

Sounds like your motor height is incorrect not necessarily a boat issue. Did your dealer suggest moving the motor down?
Old 04-24-2017, 10:28 AM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Mag View Post
Sounds like your motor height is incorrect not necessarily a boat issue. Did your dealer suggest moving the motor down?
Yes, we've brought it up there twice and they did move the motor.

Is there a specific hole that it should be mounted? ex. second from bottom/second from top etc?

The dealer is about 35 minutes from my house which requires me to pull the boat from my dock and then bring it up there. You'd think it would be ready to go from the showroom but it's proven not.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2017, 10:35 AM
Slot Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders31 View Post
Yes, we've brought it up there twice and they did move the motor.

Is there a specific hole that it should be mounted? ex. second from bottom/second from top etc?

The dealer is about 35 minutes from my house which requires me to pull the boat from my dock and then bring it up there. You'd think it would be ready to go from the showroom but it's proven not.

Make sure your av plate is about 1" above the bottom of the hull. Sounds like your motor is still mounted too low.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-24-2017, 11:04 AM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by shell_guy View Post
Make sure your av plate is about 1" above the bottom of the hull. Sounds like your motor is still mounted too low.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I agree it is more likely the motor is to low.

I have a pro guide ( understand it is not the same boat) but it was mounted in the top hole and would pull hard left with 90Hp motor with 13 7/8 X 17 prop. It took me a couple of weeks went with a smaller prop 13 X 17 four blade and raised to second hole from top, still pulled left about week later raised it to the third hole form top. Now i can take my hand off the tiller and goes straight as an arrow no pull either way. Side note i tried moving the trim tab on motor with out no help at all.
Old 04-24-2017, 12:31 PM
Minnow

When I get home I'll snap a picture of it. I had always thought the motor mounting was the issue. Like I mentioned it just feels like it's really dragging. Also, the trim gauge is strange how it's basically all the way to the left. I've never owned a boat that wasn't somewhere near the middle
Old 04-24-2017, 12:35 PM
Wallhanger

Its a lund/Mercury issue and your dealer should be helping you. You motor is hardly broken in and it gets better in time, just like fuel mileage in a brand new vehicle. Your motor should be mounted in the second or third hole from the top mine is in the third hole. If it has a vengeance prop on it , take it off and use it for an anchor, get the dealer to put on a spitfire or if you yell loud enough an x7 spitfire 17 p.
Terrova w-Link

Last edited by Darrenf442; 04-24-2017 at 12:37 PM.
Old 04-24-2017, 01:00 PM
Wallhanger

I had a 2012 1775 Impact with a Merc 115 four stroke. I was shown on the water how to use the trim by the dealer, before taking possession of the boat. It was different from my previous boat, which did not even have a trim button. I was told to start out completely trimmed in, to get on plane. Once on plane, adjust the trim out, until at optimal performance. It did not take long to figure out where that spot was, and it eventually became second nature.

The 2012 Impact came with the aluminum Black Max, 13 X 19. It planed very easily, and quickly got to speed. If memory serves, top speed was just around 40 mph, at around 6000 rpm. On sharper turns, I had to trim in a bit to avoid cavitation. Again, it eventually became second nature. I had been told on this site, and elsewhere, that a stainless prop would help to avoid blowing out on turns. Before I managed to try different props, I traded in the boat -- for another Impact. I just went a little bit bigger, with a layout a bit more to my liking the Impact 1850 XS, with Merc 150 four stroke. This one came with a a stainless prop, the Tempest Plus, 13 X 19, and trimming down on turns has not been necessary in most cases. It rides beautifully.

As to your issues, here's my non-professional advice. As far as trimming, take the time to learn your boat before getting upset and looking for something else. All Makes and models are different, and will take a bit of time to find best performance. Ten hours is barely engine break-in time. Your motor should not struggle to get up to speed. I think I would get a Merc mechanic to go out on the lake with you to see if he can figurte that out. I believe my motor on the 1775 Impact was mounted second hole from the top. Wherever it was, it was where Lund recommended it be. Maybe there is something that needs to be fixed, or adjusted, because that 115 four stroke should be a sipper, not a guzzler.

I hope you find your answer, and begin to enjoy the boat.
Old 04-24-2017, 10:38 AM
Wallhanger

I'm not sure which hole I don't have an Impact. I'm sure with all the impact owners on this site someone will be along shortly.
Old 04-24-2017, 10:43 AM
Keeper

Have any pictures of how the motor sits on the back of the boat? I also think height is not right. Or you have a prop that is no where near the pitch you need. What's top speed at what rpm?

I've got a 1775 with a 115 opti on it, running a 21p 3 blade. running my trim is set just below the half mark for optimal performance. I have too trim down in turns or it blows out at higher speeds.