Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Idle Hours - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Motors and Props

Old 08-21-2008, 10:36 PM
Yellowfin

Default Idle Hours

I just took my 2006 ETEC 90 (Alumacraft Navigator 165 Sport) in to see if there were any upgrades for the computer. I looked at the diagnostic printout and was very surprised to find out that I am at idle 57% of the time. I do not troll and also do a fair amount of tubing and skiing along with my fishing. Does any one else know if that is a normal number or do I just have strange driving habits.

I changed the plugs along with the computer update and I know get about 2 MPH more out of what I thought was a very strong engine to begin with. I was very happy with the engine before but I am even happier now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2008, 05:41 AM

sounds like you idle in/out of the launch area, idle when near your fishing spot and your fishing location is just not that long of a run.. so i wouldn't doubt that number. just think.. your saving gas here on the great lakes an averge run is 10 to 40 miles one way. and my last motor (before it died) did record alot of idle hours.
Old 08-24-2008, 06:03 AM
Charter Member

could also be from that water skiing and tubing stuff. A lot of idle time is spent waiting for skiers and tubers to get ready

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2008, 09:07 AM
Charter Member

Actually, if you look at the majority of outboard motors, you will find that between 50-70% of their time is spent at idle speed.

I suspect that the place where you might find this to be an exception, would be for those motors which are used in commercial service, making long high speed runs on a daily basis.

However, for the average personal use motor, much of the motors time is spent at or near the dock, in no wake zones etc.

----------
Even on a typical fishing trip - make a diary sometimes on your typical engine use. I suspect that you will be very suprised.

Lets see, you get the boat out, dump it in the water, idle out - make a 5-10 minute run to your fishing ground - then the rest of the day, the motor is used in spurts or at low speeds for the bulk of the day. Then, at the end of the day, you make another 5-10 minute run back to the dock and trailer. This relates to about 80% low speed operation, and 20% high speed operation.

Take care
REW
Old 08-26-2008, 09:32 AM
Charter Member

Big 10-4 on REW's overview of ave engine use!

Myself, I'm a 24/7 day/nite retired person who ave around 10 hrs on the water p/day when I'm not on the internet or catching some winks in the softwater season. I either cruise @ 22-25 sog or run WOT @ 33-35 sog for location runs from home, but for only 20-30 minuts p/day. The balance of the 10 hrs is spent cont-trolling w/my 4-stroke.

I do use the ETM AP for steering for dogday strag-pulls with the main doing the pushing.

Fishing w/buds is a fun social event, while
Angling is a serious skill-growth rung-climbing event with loads of self-improvement satisfaction w/each step... Hang a Hog, Not a Smelt

Ray da sUMo 'Chaser
Old 08-26-2008, 05:02 PM
Wallhanger

The hours don't sound strange to me...
I am always surprised when I get the results on mine. Typically, my idle hours are almost 70% of my hours... and I usually use the kicker when I am trolling.

I leave it run when I go park the truck ...and when I come back in and go get the truck. Almost always bump into somebody I know and shoot the bull a bit...eh?
Old 08-27-2008, 06:43 AM
Wallhanger

Industry testing shows that at least 40% of the time is spent at idle and 15% is above idle but below about 2000 rpm.