Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Has Anyone Fried Fish In Lard? - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Canada Eh? > Canada

Old 03-13-2015, 07:48 AM
Wallhanger

Default Tenderflake Lard - Canada's Contribution to Great Cooking

Although we never used Tenderflake lard for cooking fish, we always had to stop in Dryden on the way back to Wisconsin and pick up a case of Tenderflake at the old IGA. I think a case was 24 1-pound packages. My grandfather was told not to come home without the Tenderflake lard or it would be his last trip to Canada

My grandmother used Tenderflake for pie crusts and it was "sworn" to be the reason that the crusts came out so flaky. To date, my wife uses the same lard ( when we can get it )and pie crust receipe.

I would think that fish would be outstanding as well. Give it a whirl, we on;y live once and trying new things can be enjoyable, but also addictive

PjShorthorn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2015, 07:57 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjshorthorn View Post
Although we never used Tenderflake lard for cooking fish, we always had to stop in Dryden on the way back to Wisconsin and pick up a case of Tenderflake at the old IGA. I think a case was 24 1-pound packages. My grandfather was told not to come home without the Tenderflake lard or it would be his last trip to Canada

My grandmother used Tenderflake for pie crusts and it was "sworn" to be the reason that the crusts came out so flaky. To date, my wife uses the same lard ( when we can get it )and pie crust receipe.

I would think that fish would be outstanding as well. Give it a whirl, we on;y live once and trying new things can be enjoyable, but also addictive

PjShorthorn
I forgot about Tenderflake, thanks for jogging my memory. Will give it a try.
Old 03-13-2015, 08:02 AM
Wallhanger

we use nothing but lard for frying fish. it just gives it a better flavor. we don't use lard for anything else. no more fish than we eat a little lard isn't going to hurt us that much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2015, 08:09 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjshorthorn View Post

PjShorthorn
My "Busia" (Grandma) used lard in all her pie crusts...
She also put in a tbsp. or two of bacon fat...
Man, Her APPLE pies were remarkable.... The crust just had that extra touch of flaky and flavor...
She would also fry her "ponczki" (filled bismarks) in a large pot of lard..
When I make a homeade pie crust, maybe twice a year, I use lard...
HDS 8 Gen 1
Old 03-13-2015, 08:20 AM
Keeper

I know a group that have shore lunch every day. They use Coleman camp stoves and lard for the grease.

In my fishing file I borrowed a recipe from a Canadian Guide. He first fries up a pound of bacon, removes the bacon for the beans, and adds lard to the bacon grease to fry the fish. Use any fish coating you choose.
Old 03-13-2015, 08:26 AM
Wallhanger

Don't know if it is true or not but I have been told that the reason lard works so well when frying food is that lard is a large molecule grease and because of that it does not penetrate into breading as easy as smaller molecule oils .

Mike Kansas
Old 03-13-2015, 08:28 AM
Wallhanger

Using Crisco is far worse than using lard. Trans fats are just that bad.

Mike, you can buy No Name brand Lard from any Loblaws chain store. It's called, well, Lard and it comes in a little box. I have some in my kitchen.

I think your fryer temperature is probably more important than what oil you use though.

Personally, I love fish fried in butter. Now that is good stuff (as I clutch my chest)!!!!

Last edited by adempsey; 03-13-2015 at 08:34 AM.
Old 03-13-2015, 08:28 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimirjr View Post
My "Busia" (Grandma) used lard in all her pie crusts...
She also put in a tbsp. or two of bacon fat...
Man, Her APPLE pies were remarkable.... The crust just had that extra touch of flaky and flavor...
She would also fry her "ponczki" (filled bismarks) in a large pot of lard..
When I make a homeade pie crust, maybe twice a year, I use lard...
And there you have it folks....

Now the question is whether we will share our Busia's receipes

PjShorthorn
Old 03-13-2015, 09:04 AM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Kansas View Post
Don't know if it is true or not but I have been told that the reason lard works so well when frying food is that lard is a large molecule grease and because of that it does not penetrate into breading as easy as smaller molecule oils .

Mike Kansas

Mike I believe you are right. In my experience I have found if lard is at the right temperature it does not soak into the fillets like other oils. Hard to do over an open fire but possible in a deep fryer. I find it also stands up to higher temps than other oils. I agree 100% with Tenderflake.....best lard there is.
Old 03-13-2015, 09:19 AM
Wallhanger

My grandfather lived on lard. Pies, steaks, eggs, etc all fried in it. Grandmother would put a dollop of lard to fry hamburger. It probably contributed to his death by heart disease. But he was 92. And it could have been 75 years of camel straights.