Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Slip Bobber Line - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Strictly Fishing

Old 05-04-2017, 02:14 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by KraTToR View Post
Yo-Zuri Hybrid would be an idea. Mono core w/floro outer. best of both. Available down to 4lb test.
I've never used any Yo-Zuri products before, tuff stuff?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2017, 05:00 PM
Wallhanger

Yozuri hybrid sinks. Its going to be a pain in the rump

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-07-2017, 06:26 AM
Minnow

Jim Carrol once told me the Devils lake bobber guys use braid so they can get a hook set a mile out. I said I don't think that will work for me bobbering weeds in Michigan because the braid will sink into all the weeds between me and my bobber.

I don't do it often but I use mono for now. Occasionally trying it on braid if I'm not in the jungle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2017, 09:53 AM
Charter Member

Use heavier diameter, heavier lb test braid, leave 1/4" or so on the tag ends of the stop so they can be re-tightened if the need ever arises. The larger diameter results in few re-tightens needed, and allows bending the hook if snagged while fishing brush. A mind set rethink of lb test used helps - we got accustomed to using light weight line (mono), due to the need to cast out, and when braid came out, we still bought the same test, due to habit. If line sinking is a problem, which I haven't experienced, just take up some of the slack before setting the hook. Quit using that skinny line!

Bill
Old 05-07-2017, 07:19 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Krejca View Post
Use heavier diameter, heavier lb test braid, leave 1/4" or so on the tag ends of the stop so they can be re-tightened if the need ever arises. The larger diameter results in few re-tightens needed, and allows bending the hook if snagged while fishing brush. A mind set rethink of lb test used helps - we got accustomed to using light weight line (mono), due to the need to cast out, and when braid came out, we still bought the same test, due to habit. If line sinking is a problem, which I haven't experienced, just take up some of the slack before setting the hook. Quit using that skinny line!

Bill
How heavy of braid are you talking, Bill?
Old 05-08-2017, 04:24 AM
Keeper

I will stick to my Trilene xl skinny line. Never had a problem with it so why switch. Bill must like bass fishing too, I just get no thrill out of pulling a 1# fish out of water with 65# cable.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Old 05-08-2017, 06:14 AM
Charter Member

Bill likes to spend his time on the water fishing, rather than retying due to getting snags and losing his rig. Here in ol' Ioway, we fish a lot around submerged trees, brush, etc. In this scenario, I prefer 10-12 lb test (it breaks at more than this, normally). On some rods, I go up to 15 lb test. I also use smaller than usual hooks, so that they will tend to bend more easily. How small? Small enough to bend, perhaps no .4 or even 6, sometimes no. 2. I find slip bobbers to serve me well for this type of fishing. Occasionally, I even have been known to heat a hook to soften its temper, so it straightens more easily.

Bill
Old 05-08-2017, 07:14 AM
Keeper

On my Walleye rods that I have set up for bobber fishing, I have been using 10# Power Pro - I have had good luck with it and have not had an issue with the bobber stoppers. I might have to switch back to Mono as it looks like most guys are using Mono. I am a fan of Power Pro - it seams to work good for me when we are night fishing with slip bobbers.

What length of rods do you all use when slip bobber fishing?

I do have a couple ultra light rods set up with mono.

Good to hear what others are using.
Humminbird Solix 12 on Dash and Solix 10 at Bow
MinnKota Ulterra Quest W/Mega SI/DI and I-Pilot Link

Last edited by rootdl; 05-08-2017 at 07:27 AM.
Old 05-08-2017, 08:27 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by rootdl View Post
On my Walleye rods that I have set up for bobber fishing, I have been using 10# Power Pro - I have had good luck with it and have not had an issue with the bobber stoppers. I might have to switch back to Mono as it looks like most guys are using Mono. I am a fan of Power Pro - it seams to work good for me when we are night fishing with slip bobbers.

What length of rods do you all use when slip bobber fishing?

I do have a couple ultra light rods set up with mono.

Good to hear what others are using.
I use 9' MF rods.
Old 05-08-2017, 09:05 AM
Wallhanger

For casting or drifting slips, i use a 7' mmf i believe it is. Typically just fishing straight down off the side though, and just use one of my jigging rods for that since I dont have to make long hooksets or fight fish over a distance.

6/8 lb xl for the slip rods. For when im fishing off the side with jigging rod it is with 15lb braid with a 2' fluoro leader. Braid works fine for that. Its when you are casting and drifting, that braid becomes an issue.

I wouldnt call 10-15lb braid thick, its 2-4lb dia. I thought Bill was going to say 30-40lb braid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk