Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
American Angler Ultra or MT3 Fillet Knife? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 12-10-2004, 09:52 PM
Charter Member

Default American Angler Ultra or MT3 Fillet Knife?

I was going to buy an Amer.Angler Ultra when I happened to notice their MT3 model for just ten bucks more. Looks like its built a lot better with the metal gearing. Has a different style blade also.

I'm looking for an all-around electric fillet knife that won't burn out on the salmon I fillet, yet can also handle panfish without being so aggressive it mangles them. Does anyone know how the MT3 performs in comparison to the Ultra?

Woodsdweller
Old 12-11-2004, 07:08 AM
vetspet ind

Default RE: American Angler Ultra or MT3 Fillet Knife?

i just bought several 10 dollar black and decker elec knives which last me longer than the mr twister knife at a fraction of the cost...i used my older b&d on many salmon and panfish...wallmart sells for 10 bucks
Old 12-24-2004, 07:12 PM
stripernut

Forget MT3 fillet knife. Tried one, broke first time. Returned for replacement, broke second time used. Returned for refund and bought cheap WalMart. Works ok, but not very strong.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-25-2004, 07:13 AM

try the rapala elect got one at the start of the year .like it a lot.comes with two sets of blades.
be safe and good fishing glenn
Old 12-25-2004, 09:23 PM

I'm with vetspet -
I work at a camp and see all the electrics in use - some are better than others, mostly in ergonomics, but definately not worth the extra $$$.
I cleaned over 1000 fish last summer (pike/walleye) and went through four wal-mart $9 electric knives. When they stop working, save the blades and throw the rest out. Although they may not look pretty, they work just as good as the high priced ones.
In my opinion, based on what I used and observed, save your money and buy the cheap ones.
chrism
Old 12-26-2004, 10:54 AM
Charter Member

I have used the American Angler for several years with great luck. In fact haven't thrown one out yet. I know, how many fish do I fillet?? Put it this way, I get plenty. Skeeter

I've spent most of my life fishing. The rest of it I wasted!
Use the WALLEYE CENTRAL BUSINESS DIRECTORY under marine supplies, it works!
Old 07-02-2015, 09:12 AM
Cris Buck

Default American Angler

I was a believer in American Angler fillet knives. I have 2 of them.( 110 volt and 12 volt) Over the years, I have worn out the plastic gears and replaced them. I just wore out another set of gears, placed a call to American Angler to order some new gears, and was told they don't support parts anymore except for blades. I told them that was very poor customer service, the lady didn't seem to care. Guess what?- I just ordered a new Rapala Heavy Duty Pro. By the way, the original gears were brass and lasted about 7 -8 years, the replacements were plastic and barely lasted a season.