Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Titan Tiller on a 40HP 4 stroke - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Motors and Props

Old 02-24-2010, 06:48 PM
Minnow

Default Titan Tiller on a 40HP 4 stroke

My marine dealer is trying to talk me out of installing the Titan Tiller on my new Yamaha 40HP 4 stroke EFI. He thinks it is a waste of money and would recommend it for 75HP and above. My experience is using a Merc 2 stroke 25HP tiller and a new Honda 20HP tiller. I'm getting older and I think I would like the Titan Tiller to lessen my arm strain I have experienced on these outboards I am currently using.

Would very much like to hear about your experiences with the Titan Tiller on smaller outboards.

Tks in advance,

Ed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2010, 08:43 PM
Wallhanger

I have not had a Titan on a smaller tiller just a 75 & 90hp but I did have a 16' Pike Reble with a 40hp 2st Merc. On long trips 10 miles or better I sure wished I had the Titan on the 40hp. I now can just rest my arm on top of my tiller handle while traveling top speed. I could actually get up and walk to the front of my boat while at top speed. Of course I don't but the Titan holds it in place until I move the tiller either way about 1/4". Love it! I would not hesitate to put one on a 40hp. IMHO
Old 02-25-2010, 07:52 AM
Charter Member

what he said.... I love mine on a 75hp. had a 50hp would have loved it there too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stinkycat View Post
I have not had a Titan on a smaller tiller just a 75 & 90hp but I did have a 16' Pike Reble with a 40hp 2st Merc. On long trips 10 miles or better I sure wished I had the Titan on the 40hp. I now can just rest my arm on top of my tiller handle while traveling top speed. I could actually get up and walk to the front of my boat while at top speed. Of course I don't but the Titan holds it in place until I move the tiller either way about 1/4". Love it! I would not hesitate to put one on a 40hp. IMHO
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2010, 08:53 AM
Keeper

I have a 2005 60hp 4 stroke Merc. I know the fin behind the prop really make s big difference on how the motor tracks at high speed. Mine is good, but I have problems with my shoulder hurting from holding the throttle open, so I have tighted that up while running and helps a lot.

However I am intersted in these Titans expecially for trolling. How much are they, ball park and can get one for my motor.

HUNT HARD, SHOOT STRAIGHT, KILL CLEAN, APOLOGIZE TO NO ONE!!

You don't hunt or fish? I SEE NO POINT IN TALKING TO YOU!!
Old 02-25-2010, 10:46 AM
Wallhanger

Not sure of the cost because it was figured into both my boat packages but I believe it would fall between $700-$1100.
Old 02-25-2010, 02:43 PM
Wallhanger

1100 plus tax installed at Mertens in Oshkosh on a 75 Yammie. 45 minute install from the man himself.
Old 02-26-2010, 08:03 AM
Keeper

Default not current

i think your dealer is not up to speed on ALL the benefits the titan brings to the table.
maybe they don't have any experience??????

good luck Frank
Old 02-27-2010, 06:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfishhunter View Post
I am going to say the opposite of the above posters. I have a 50 four-stroke tiller. I can get my boat and motor up to 34 mph, and I have no problems or pull whatsoever. I honestly think that spending a grand for an assisted steering is a waste of money on your rig.

For me, I have my motor set at the right holes on the transom, after some playing around. My Fin above the prop is adjusted just perfectly, and I have electronic trim. To me the electric trim is the biggest aid. ONce I get on plane I adjust the electric trim and I can totally let go of the motor. In fact on many of my long trips, there are long sections where I don't even touch the handle, and if I do, I am just resting it on it, not doing anything. I have walked up to the bow, while at full throttle.

I wouldn't get it, but that is just me. If I had a 90+ that would be a different matter.
Hi....just a thought, I to have mine set up well, ran the 75 a yr without one and at full trim there is no pull,(a good # of yrs with a 50 without one as well) ONE area where it shines is when condition's need it and your trimmed down some and going at a slower speed as well as going fast in the rough, no need to hang on tight. But for sure to each there own

Last edited by Dave Q; 02-27-2010 at 06:31 PM.
Old 02-27-2010, 06:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfishhunter View Post
I am going to say the opposite of the above posters. I have a 50 four-stroke tiller. I can get my boat and motor up to 34 mph, and I have no problems or pull whatsoever.
I have walked up to the bow, while at full throttle.
That must be an AWFUL long safety lanyard you've got on the kill switch.

HRG
Old 02-28-2010, 08:17 AM
Wallhanger

Don't worry HRG, my wife sat in the driver seat for me, with her hand on the throttle just in case of anything. It is a good job you are giving me crap, cause I havn't seemed to have someone act like my mother since I was 16. Do you wear an orange vest and a flashing beacon on your head whenever you go out, make sure you do, just in case a safety issue arises, you can shout, "have not fear Safety Boy is HERE!"

Last edited by Bigfishhunter; 02-28-2010 at 08:22 AM.