Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Fishin' Fashion: Long sleeved shirts for hot weather? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Strictly Fishing

Old 03-19-2012, 11:33 PM
Wallhanger

Default Fishin' Fashion: Long sleeved shirts for hot weather?

I've been cursed with fair, burns-easy skin. Face, neck, arms and tops of my hands get ROASTED on days I forget my SPF 10 Million sunblock.

My face will have to be goobed up with sunblock. Neck and hands will be protected (hopefully) with these new SPF rated gloves and neck gaiter. Arms... Long sleeves rule. I have one old long sleeved shirt from a Tarpon tournament I was in years ago. Worked GREAT to keep my arms protected from the Florida sun. No idea what it's made of but it feels like that silky fabric like basketball shorts.

So my question is... Besides sun goo, what do you wear for sun protection?
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2012, 11:36 PM
Charter Member

Do as the Arab's do in the desert.
Cover every square inch of skin with protective clothing.

I favor long sleeved loose shirts that are typically light in color.
I also like loose baggy slacks that are not tight at the waist.
A very large brimmed hat that has a large brim all of the way around your head.
Fingerless gloves that cover the backs of your hands.
If you like to walk around in bare feet, wear socks to keep the sun off of your feet.

Life is short and none of us need to have large episodes of skin cancer as is tending to be a larger and larger problem.

Take care
REW
Old 03-19-2012, 11:39 PM
Charter Member

Moose,
An even bigger part of the equation, is to be off of the water in the heat of the day.

Fishing is best in the early morning and late evening, So, do other things in the middle of the day and be on the water at 3 or 4 am and be off by 10 in the morning.

Then, hit the water at 4 in the afternoon and fish until midnight.

Not too much sun during these times of the day.

Take care
REW
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2012, 11:46 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by REW View Post
Moose,
An even bigger part of the equation, is to be off of the water in the heat of the day.

Fishing is best in the early morning and late evening, So, do other things in the middle of the day and be on the water at 3 or 4 am and be off by 10 in the morning.

Then, hit the water at 4 in the afternoon and fish until midnight.

Not too much sun during these times of the day.

Take care
REW
Good advice!! And this is my typical S.O.P.. However, when I drive a few hundred miles to fish a lake for a couple days, I want to spend as much time as possible on the water. And tournaments won't stop for Bluebird skies and bright sun. Gotta be prepared ya know...
Old 03-20-2012, 03:21 AM
Lund Man

Sam's Club selsl those same long and short sleeved, thin, vented fishing shirts for $20 that the catalogs sell for $50. I bought a couple of them last season. They work great.
Old 03-20-2012, 06:08 AM
Wallhanger

Along with the long sleeved shirts I'm a fan of the spray on sunblocks,
Old 03-20-2012, 07:28 AM
Wallhanger

I wear long sleeve Columbia fishing shirts and an Indiana Jones Style hat with ventilation.

Thankfully I don't have fair skin so this seem to be sufficient for me most days on the water.

The wife got diagnosed with skin cancer last summer so as you can imagine we are extra aware of avoiding the sun when we can.

Last edited by Wade B AKA: Ruger2506; 03-20-2012 at 08:01 AM.
Old 03-20-2012, 07:50 AM
Keeper

I too burn a lot, my ears and nose used to bleed and crack all summer.

A fellow fisherman turned me onto this, and it is AMAZING. Keeps you cooler all day because you are in the shade. Dunk it in water for more cooling. When it gets dirty run it through the washing machine. It floats in case it gets blown off, you can fold it up and stuff it in a pocket.

Every fisherman should have one...I will not fish without it.

http://www.sundayafternoons.com/stor...field-hat.html

I use it and sunblock on my arms and legs, but I need the sunblock less because a large portion of me is in the shade due to the HOUS (hat of unusual size)

I was famous one summer when I fished a lake a lot...people started telling others to look for the guy in the little boat with the huge hat!
Old 03-20-2012, 08:57 AM
Charter Member

On really hot days, besides the brimmed hat, I put a wet washcloth(read fish rag) under my hat and periodically re-soak it. A long sleeved shirt, soaked, also helps. I like to be a style leader.

Bill
Old 03-20-2012, 09:20 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade B AKA: Ruger2506 View Post
I wear long sleeve Columbia fishing shirts and an Indiana Jones Style hat with ventilation.
X2.

A long sleeve non-cotton shirt is pretty much the only thing I'll wear these days if I know I'm in for a long hot day on the water. It seems completely counterintuitive, but the long sleeves actually keep you cooler. The modern wicking fabrics are amazing, they're light, soft to the touch, and they keep you incredibly cool and dry, even compared to a t-shirt. If it's blazing hot a quick dip of the shirt in the lake and back on is like turning up the A/C, especially if there's a bit of a breeze.

I wear pants of the same material too, and compared to standard pants or jeans, the difference is incredible.

I've always got a Tilley hat or something like it with a wide brim too. Once you get used to it, you'll wonder how you ever got along without it.

You look a little goofy fishing next to all the guys in t-shirts and ball caps, but you quickly forget about that when you're a lot more comfortable and you have a lot more energy at the end of the day than they do.

Waxy