Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Switching to Tiller - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Old 09-16-2008, 07:07 PM
Minnow

Default Switching to Tiller

I currently have a walk-thru windshield with steering wheel and would like to switch to a tiller. Problem is I am left handed and I'm not sure how easy it will be to make this transition. The obvious solution would be for me to hold the rod in my right hand while trolling.

Are there any other lefties running tillers and if so have you had any problems/issues and how did you adapt to a boat set up for righties? Thanks
Don
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-16-2008, 08:25 PM
Charter Member

This may sound strange, but there's not "rule" that say's you have to have the drivers seat mounted on the starboard side, and run the motor with your left hand. Look at some of the newer motors, the tiller handle is mounted on the motor centerline. In fact, I think the E-tec tiller handle is adjustable from a port to starboard orientation. New boats come with the drivers seat un-mounted, so the dealer can place it where YOU are most comfortable. Sure, I'd add a Titan steering-assist system, but if you really want to hold your rod with your left hand, why not?
HRG
here's a pic from the G3 website. and no, it's not photo-reversed, the boat and motor names are shown correctly
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_mainImg.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	82.6 KB
ID:	211  
Old 09-16-2008, 08:39 PM
Keeper

Default south paw

Might be hard with todays tillers. My Warrior has the livewell on the port side so it wouldn't work to run the boat "lefty". Even the lunds have there electronics boxes on the port side so that would'nt work either. With todays power steering its pretty effortless to run these big motors and I think a person would get used to it. Tillers Rule. You'll be happy you made the switch.
cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-16-2008, 08:46 PM
Minnow

I appreciate the feedback guys. I wasn't aware that some of the newer motors have centerline mounted or switchable tiller handles. I was already planning on looking at the E-Tec, so that might work out well.

As Topwater pointed out most if not all consoles are on the port side on tillers, which woldn't work if I ran the boat as a leftie. To me it's worth making the necessary adjustments to my fishing style to accommodate the tiller setup. Thanks again.
Don
Old 09-16-2008, 08:58 PM
Keeper

Hi Don,

Unfortunately, you'll have to learn. You won't have an option. I'm left handed. Keep one thing in mind (and you already know this), you're living in a right handed world so you're already quite ambidextrous. You'll have little trouble getting used to it.

The reason you'll have to learn is because all of the electronics consoles are set up so that you drive with your left hand. Yar-Craft, Ranger, Warrior and Tuffy are all set up so the electronics have to be mounted on the port side (left). It wouldn't work too well with your back to your electronics.

Good luck...you'll love a tiller. I've got a Yar-Craft 2095BT with a Yamaha F150/Power Tiller Steering. I'll never go back to non-hydraulic steering. Love my Yar-Craft too. Big boat...it flies.

Tom

Last edited by tharder; 09-16-2008 at 09:02 PM.
Old 09-18-2008, 05:55 AM
Charter Member

HRG is right.. My E-Tec and be adjusted left right or straight. And up and down. So I know its can be adjusted anywhere you need it to be.
Good luck ind the Tiller search.
Pete
Old 09-18-2008, 06:24 AM
Charter Member

Default Lefty

Feel free to call me to discuss running the tillers. I'm left-handed and have over 30K hours with the tiller handle in the left hand--and the rod in the right hand.

218-678-3103

Steve Fellegy
http://www.npaa.net/memdir/49.htm