Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Leech Lake Sept. 2014??? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 12-30-2013, 11:25 AM
Keeper

Default Leech Lake Sept. 2014???

I have never fished MN waters in Sept. due to employment. I will take retirement in May 2014 and can now start to empty my bucket list. My desire is to spend 10 consecutive days on Leech Lake fishing for walleye but need some insight. Assuming 2014 is an average year,would the last week of Sept.be worth my time. This time frame from Sept. 20-30 is based upon cabin availability. Normally I am not this desperate for information but the resort of choice(highly recommended) has just a couple of cabins that are still available.

Thanks to all
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2013, 12:57 PM
Charter Member

If it were me, I would not want to fish Leech in September. The weather can change the bite in a hurry, and I've never done well in September period.

I love late May and the 1st half of June.
Old 12-30-2013, 01:05 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reelmn View Post
I have never fished MN waters in Sept. due to employment. I will take retirement in May 2014 and can now start to empty my bucket list. My desire is to spend 10 consecutive days on Leech Lake fishing for walleye but need some insight. Assuming 2014 is an average year,would the last week of Sept.be worth my time. This time frame from Sept. 20-30 is based upon cabin availability. Normally I am not this desperate for information but the resort of choice(highly recommended) has just a couple of cabins that are still available.

Thanks to all
I agree the weather can change a lot. But, you're going for 10 days and this will give you opportunity to get solid fishing in because not every day is going to be terrible weather wise.

We fish Cass Lake that last week of Sept (which is on the north end of Leech) and do quite well.

Also if you have a blow day and cannot or do not want to hit Leech you can travel 20 min to Cass and have a great day on the water. Cass does not get the wave size that Leech does on the same day. 5 footers on Leech is like 2-4 footers on Cass.

10 Days gives you options.

Pics from last week in Sept both this year and 2012
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	21.5 inch.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	78.7 KB
ID:	61826   Click image for larger version

Name:	28.5 incher.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	85.1 KB
ID:	61834   Click image for larger version

Name:	A 24 incher released.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	61842   Click image for larger version

Name:	29.5 incher.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	523.3 KB
ID:	61850  
Helix 5

It's all fun and games till someone loses a walleye!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2013, 03:08 PM
Keeper

I'd love to fish leech for 10 days in September. You can always slip into Walker, Agency and Kabekona bays on bad windy days but that depends on where the lodge is located.
Old 12-30-2013, 06:03 PM
Keeper

Default Reservations have been made

I pulled the trigger today and made reservations at Brindley's Harbor for Sept 20-30. Ten years ago Dutchman recommended this resort to me but it has taken me this long to finally make the trip. I think I'm really going to enjoy this retirement thing!!
Old 12-30-2013, 06:38 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reelmn View Post
I pulled the trigger today and made reservations at Brindley's Harbor for Sept 20-30. Ten years ago Dutchman recommended this resort to me but it has taken me this long to finally make the trip. I think I'm really going to enjoy this retirement thing!!
Helix 5

It's all fun and games till someone loses a walleye!
Old 12-30-2013, 07:06 PM
Wallhanger

That's MUSKY TIME on Leech, and the resort you picked is often the September hotspot.
Old 12-31-2013, 05:40 PM
Charter Member

Our group has fished out of Brindley's for over 35 years now. Tim and Greg will definitely put you on fish as the location is fabulous.
Old 01-01-2014, 07:19 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Anderson View Post
Our group has fished out of Brindley's for over 35 years now. Tim and Greg will definitely put you on fish as the location is fabulous.
++++

The night bite can be outstanding around Goose Island, the Duck Points and the Meadows; just to name a couple of places. Most of the time I use a #5 rap, in Crawdad, trolled in the 7 to 10 foot range, with changing speeds until you find out what they're in mood for.

If you're in the mood for a little daylight action try trolling from Goose to 1st Duck Point, with a #7 rap, in the 10 to 14 foot range. Again change speeds to find out what they want and keep your eyes on your fish finder for large schools of bait fish as the eyes will normally be right below those schools.

Good luck

USMC 1967-1971 Once a Marine always a marine.