Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Anchor a pain - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Strictly Fishing

Old 02-26-2017, 08:32 AM
Keeper

Default Anchor a pain

Here are photos of the anchors I use. It is good to have one in the boat when you need it, but it is a love-hate relationship. What do you all do with yours? I don't have a good under deck solution. Even if I can get it in a storage compartment, don't want to put a hole in the aluminum. Thanks for your help!

Gonz
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170219_191124.jpg
Views:	444
Size:	309.5 KB
ID:	244769   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170219_191215.jpg
Views:	393
Size:	412.2 KB
ID:	244777  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2017, 08:59 AM
Wallhanger

I stick mine in one of the compartments. I use an old winter automotive floor mat (rubber) to protect the bottom and sides of the compartment.
HB 1199 CI HD Si (Helm)
Helix 10 GPS (Dash)
Evinrude 15HO Kicker (Tiller)

Old 02-26-2017, 09:28 AM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by KraTToR View Post
I stick mine in one of the compartments. I use an old winter automotive floor mat (rubber) to protect the bottom and sides of the compartment.
Thanks KraTTor...that might work for me up in front...I'll go out and see if it'll fit!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2017, 06:36 PM
Keeper

I have that same anchor. I cut the side bars off flush with the digger blades so it digs deeper and holds better. It also fits nicer into a storage compartment i have dedicated for my anchors. I cut the handles off of a rubbermade tote and squished it in there. Once in there i pushed the bottom and sides into place and it keeps the anchor from wrecking my boat. I also used those foam interlocking mats under the tote and around the sides after the first year with the tote so if it does get rough and bounces the anchor around it will cushion things a bit more. They are cut to size and just pressure fit outside of the tote.
Old 02-26-2017, 06:48 PM
Wallhanger

I don't use my center rod locker, so I put my anchor in there in a cut down 5 gallon bucket. Then surround it with tackle boxes.
Old 02-26-2017, 07:12 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by npauls View Post
I have that same anchor. I cut the side bars off flush with the digger blades so it digs deeper and holds better. It also fits nicer into a storage compartment i have dedicated for my anchors.
This is a "duh", why didn't I think of that? Thanks that will help it fit better in a lower padded compartment.
Old 02-26-2017, 08:27 PM
Super Moderator

I stow my anchors in the very front compartment where it's just carpet over my aluminum hull. Had the same concerns. I just went to the dollar store and picked up a cheap duffle bag for each one. I store the anchor and it's rope in the bag with the rope on the bottom.
Old 02-26-2017, 08:56 PM
Keeper

If I cut the bars off, I might be able to get both of them in the front compartment. Will get to measuring and cutting this week. Thanks for the ideas everyone!

Gonz
Old 02-26-2017, 11:01 PM
Wallhanger

What size is that anchor? I need to grab one for anchoring up on sand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-27-2017, 12:09 AM
Charter Member

Gonz,
Before you cut the side bars off of your anchor, you do realize that the anchor side bars perform a useful purpose don't you.

On some bottoms if the anchor gets to the bottom laying sideways, the long side bars will tip the anchor back horizontal, which might not happen if the side bars are removed.

Of course, if you do remove the side bars and find that the anchor does not hold on the first try, just try, try, try again, until it does land flat and hook up.

But, if you do trim the side bars, it will certainly be easier to stow.

Several of my friends own the "water spike" anchor which is essentially the same anchor that you have - except for the fact that it can be disassembled. Remove one C clip, pull a pin, and the flukes come off of the main anchor stem. Then, you just lay the two piece together and it stows in a very compact place.

The storage space was the reason that I did not select an anchor as you have but rather - navy anchors. I use a 5,10, and 15 lb navy anchor. I always use the lightest one that will hold the boat. If the heaviest one does not hold, I put out another 50 feet of anchor line and add the next heaviest anchor. If that doesn't hold, I put out another 50 feet of anchor line and add the 3rd anchor. I have never been in a position where the boat will not hold - even in the worst waves if all three anchors have been deployed. It is just easier to raise and lower the lighter anchors than one heavy anchor. The navy anchors are all coated and stow easily - even in fairly small spaces.

Good luck