Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Remote border pass and fishing limits? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 04-20-2017, 02:22 PM
Keeper

Default Remote border pass and fishing limits?

I purchased a remote border pass and fishing license for Canada to use while fishing Rainy Lake.
My question is can you catch a limit in Canada in the morning and fish the Minnesota side on the way back and fish from both waters in position at the same time? Or do you first need to clean and put the Canadian fish in freezer and then go back out and fish for Minnesota limit? Same question for when driving home can you have limits for both in your truck?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2017, 02:57 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakerides View Post
I purchased a remote border pass and fishing license for Canada to use while fishing Rainy Lake.
My question is can you catch a limit in Canada in the morning and fish the Minnesota side on the way back and fish from both waters in position at the same time? Or do you first need to clean and put the Canadian fish in freezer and then go back out and fish for Minnesota limit? Same question for when driving home can you have limits for both in your truck?
You can have 1-limit of fish for a body of water. You can not have a canadian limit of fish caught on the canadian side of LOTW, and also minnesota limit of fish caught on the minnesota side of LOTW in possession at any time. And do not cross the border with 2 canadian walleyes and 6 minnesota fish. 2 of those fish will be confiscated and you will be fined. A friend of mine found this out the hard way at the border.

Its the same body of water. If you fished some other canadian lake other than LOTW, and then fished MN side of LOTW, you could have a limit from each as long as they are documented.
Humminbird 1199, 1159, 859 and Helix 7g2n
Old 04-20-2017, 05:57 PM
Super Moderator

https://www.walleyecentral.com/forums...d.php?t=611330

fisherman/people are the problem
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2017, 06:18 AM
Keeper

It takes a few days to have a shore lunch on Rainy Lake. One Walleye per day max. It takes four days to bring a limit back. The four years I fished it, we had trouble catching eaters but big fish were bountiful.
Old 04-21-2017, 10:42 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishmanric View Post
It takes a few days to have a shore lunch on Rainy Lake. One Walleye per day max. It takes four days to bring a limit back. The four years I fished it, we had trouble catching eaters but big fish were bountiful.
Just to clarify the Canadian walleye limit is one fish per day. The US Rainy limit is higher. You may not possess more than one walleye per license while on Canadian waters. You do not need an RABC permit unless you either step on shore or decide to leave Seine Bay and head up to Swell/Red Gut or the North Arm.

One sticky wicked is if you have live bait you need to have purchased it in Canada and have a receipt as proof of purchase. I was fishing in Seine Bay where the Seine River enters Rainy. A MNR boat pulled up, checked our license and the two fish we had on board. They asked for a bait receipt for the minnows we had, and asked where we purchased them. They were US purchased minnows. They explained the rule, allowed us to continue fishing and didn't ticket us.

Make sure you have throwable capable of supporting an adult, and no open beer in the boat. If you had a shore lunch and ate walleyes the MNR is likely to ask how many and will apply the one fish per day limit. If you had walleye for lunch don't have any walleye on board in Canadian waters.

Two years ago we came out of Swell and headed WOT across Seine toward Dryweed Island when we got stopped by Homeland Security and the US Border Patrol. Make sure you have your permits, drivers license and maybe throw your passport in for good measure. One guy actually boarded the boat. They were very professional and checked our documents and asked several general questions about what we were doing on the lake. The stop was quick, but a bit unreal with one guy dressed in a flack jacket and helmet carrying a really big hand gun standing in my 18 foot Lund and three others standing in the other boat looking the same way with automatic weapons within reach.

We must have fit the profile of a drug runner or illegal alien ....... Two 60 year old well fed guys with 10 fishing rods and 8 tackle boxes dressed in well worn jackets and dumb looking fishing hats.
Old 04-21-2017, 10:49 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishmanric View Post
Just to clarify the Canadian walleye limit is one fish per day. The US Rainy limit is higher. You may not possess more than one walleye per license while on Canadian waters. You do not need an RABC permit unless you either step on shore or decide to leave Seine Bay and head up to Swell/Red Gut or the North Arm.

One sticky wicked is if you have live bait you need to have purchased it in Canada and have a receipt as proof of purchase. I was fishing in Seine Bay where the Seine River enters Rainy. A MNR boat pulled up, checked our license and the two fish we had on board. They asked for a bait receipt for the minnows we had, and asked where we purchased them. They were US purchased minnows. They explained the rule, allowed us to continue fishing and didn't ticket us.

Make sure you have throwable capable of supporting an adult, and no open beer in the boat. If you had a shore lunch and ate walleyes the MNR is likely to ask how many and will apply the one fish per day limit. If you had walleye for lunch don't have any walleye on board in Canadian waters.

Two years ago we came out of Swell and headed WOT across Seine toward Dryweed Island when we got stopped by Homeland Security and the US Border Patrol. Make sure you have your permits, drivers license and maybe throw your passport in for good measure. One guy actually boarded the boat. They were very professional and checked our documents and asked several general questions about what we were doing on the lake. The stop was quick, but a bit unreal with one guy dressed in a flack jacket and helmet carrying a really big hand gun standing in my 18 foot Lund and three others standing in the other boat looking the same way with automatic weapons within reach.

We must have fit the profile of a drug runner or illegal alien ....... Two 60 year old well fed guys with 10 fishing rods and 8 tackle boxes dressed in well worn jackets and dumb looking fishing hats.
Old 04-21-2017, 11:19 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baseline View Post
You do not need an RABC permit unless you either step on shore or decide to leave Seine Bay and head up to Swell/Red Gut or the North Arm.
This is not the way I understand the permit. http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/prog/canp.../menu-eng.html I can't find where it says anything about not needing it if you don't set foot on shore. What I found is:
Program conditions

-You must have the RABC permit in your possession when you cross the border into Canada at
the remote locations identified above.
-RABC permits are valid only for the above locations, and may not be used to cross the border
into Canada at any other location. If your RABC permit is expired, it will not be accepted .
-RABC permit holders entering Canada to work must be in possession of a valid work permit,
where applicable, under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act.

BTW to the OP. Make sure all of your fish of whatever species, are within the Minnesota size limits.
Old 04-21-2017, 01:16 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackmacs View Post
This is not the way I understand the permit. http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/prog/canp.../menu-eng.html I can't find where it says anything about not needing it if you don't set foot on shore. What I found is:
Program conditions

-You must have the RABC permit in your possession when you cross the border into Canada at
the remote locations identified above.
-RABC permits are valid only for the above locations, and may not be used to cross the border
into Canada at any other location. If your RABC permit is expired, it will not be accepted .
-RABC permit holders entering Canada to work must be in possession of a valid work permit,
where applicable, under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act.

BTW to the OP. Make sure all of your fish of whatever species, are within the Minnesota size limits.

My understanding is that if you dont have a RABC, you will need to call into customs and check in via oars phone or jims corner or somewhere else if your crossing into canada from minnesota.
Humminbird 1199, 1159, 859 and Helix 7g2n
Old 04-21-2017, 01:22 PM
Slot Fish

I buy a RABC every year for the last 10 yrs. That allows you to boat in Ontario waters to fish. You can not step foot on shore. Your legal Ontario fish have to count as your Mn limit. You can't stop and fish in Mn on your way back unless they are legal to have in Mn ( under 17" or what ever the Rainy size limit is ) . I fish the Ontario side of Namakan lake there the limit is 2 one can be over 18.1". I buy the Ontario sportsmans lic which allows me to have 4 walleyes in possession but just 2 per day.
No live bait can be brought into Ontario except Night Crawlers in bedding, No dirt. We use crawlers all season.
Old 04-22-2017, 12:38 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackmacs View Post
This is not the way I understand the permit. OP.
The way I explained it is the way I was informed of the rule several years ago. If it isn't that way I would be happy to be corrected. I'm heading up in about 10 days for some early pike fishing. I'll asked the Canadian border cops for a clarification.