Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Sno-Bear - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Ice Fishing - Mainly a winter sport > Ice Fishing

Old 01-28-2009, 10:44 AM
Minnow

Does the Sno-Bear float?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2009, 11:42 AM

Default It's a Floater!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getdanet View Post
Does the Sno-Bear float?
The machine is not amphibious but it will float. Best person to ask about that is Mike from SnoBear since he has stories about guys trying it amphibious style. From what I understand, they didn't get far; but niether did they drown or have their machine sink. Mike's number is 1 (847) 682-8221.
Old 01-28-2009, 01:35 PM
Minnow

Rather than "float", the more accurate word would be "buoyant".
Old 01-28-2009, 05:05 PM

Default Roger that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desperado View Post
Rather than "float", the more accurate word would be "buoyant".
I agree, "float" suggests it is like a boat and is amphibious like an argo. "Buoyant" is a better description since, while it and it's occupants will not sink and perish, I am not sure if it can get out of a hole in the ice once it's dropped through. Although I'm pretty sure it could as long as there was something sturdy for it to winch itself onto the ice from (there are reciever hitches and both ends of the machines to attach a winch).

Hopefully once the new video has been uploaded to the website: www.snobearuag.com there will be clarification on this. Likewise, Mike Niemann whose number I have mentioned above or any of the folks at SnoBear can be called for more information at: (701) 281-8942.
Old 01-29-2009, 07:14 AM
Slot Fish

Saw the sno-bear guys truck parked at Lake Winnipeg yesterday. Any idea how they did? 2 of us caught 28 walleye from 9:00-2:00. Only 2 masters, some dinkers as well. Quite a few nice 24-26" fish. It was hard to find any "keepers" for supper.
Old 01-29-2009, 08:49 AM
Slot Fish

Walleye-on, your thoughts are the same as mine. If I have guys booked to come, I have to be able to get on the lake. I think with the sno-bear and a good GPS mapping unit I would be ok. Took some guys out last week and had fog issues. I couldn't get where I wanted to go. We also have problems getting to our spots because of blowing snow in our trails.
Snowmobiles are not always an option in -30* weather with guests.

I was thinking of using the sno-bear more for transportation and fishing out of my portables most times. I think only about 3 guys can fish in one at a time. I think we would have issues with drilling holes in the sno-bear.
I know they use a battery drill, but I don't think you can drill a 10" hole with one. 8" is about the minimum you can use for the size of fish we catch and using a flasher in the same hole. Also we get ice over 48" some year's.
Old 01-29-2009, 06:35 PM

Default Icegator may be the answer for drilling holes

I agree 10 inch holes may be a problem with the hand drill. It shoots through 30 inches of ice with the 6 inch auger in about 15 seconds though. I was pleasantly surprised. The drill used is a 36 volt hammer drill not the typical, household cordless.

Since I've fished in the SnoBear I've been looking at commercial electric augers like the Strike Master, Jiffy or Icegator and think it would be a good investment.

Believe it or not, if necessary, 4 people can fish comfortably inside the SnoBear. However, if given the chance, I would tow some portables to cover more water when the weather permits (that's what Mike does as well).

Mike's demo SnoBear has a GPS and antennae so he can lay down a plot trail and navigate the machine regardless of weather. I would give him a call and ask him about all these things. He loves visiting about the machine and telling fish stories.

I do not know how they've been doing out on the big lake. On that fishery I'm sure they're finding a few.
Old 01-30-2009, 04:35 AM
Charter Member

Lightbulb Da Bear's

A lot of Snow Bear guys I have worked with get a electric Jiffy STX Stealth auger in 8" or swap the lower out to get a 9.25 auger. So they must be able to use the 9". They said the 10" was a problem though.

Many guys also prefer the StrikeMaster Electric for use in the Snow Bear, but they only run up to 8.25". I have a friend who has a Bear and this is the system he utilizes, the StrikeMaster, he loves it.

I would love to have a Snow Bear, or a WilCraft...I'm thinking hard on one or the other right now.

They are both ideal for the type of fishing I do most.

Old 01-30-2009, 08:01 AM
jro1974

Default gargan.coming

Whats the bottom dollar on one of these units. I heard $30k. Thats insane. Keep them around 12-20 and I'd be all over one. Anybody know for sure?
Old 01-30-2009, 12:12 PM

Default Current price; call the office or Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by jro1974 View Post
Whats the bottom dollar on one of these units. I heard $30k. Thats insane. Keep them around 12-20 and I'd be all over one. Anybody know for sure?
When the machine was brought to Saskatchewan in September it's price was $42,000.00 which included the custom trailer.

After ecomomic meltdown, I do not know what they are asking.

Keeping in mind this machine is built in the USA the price may be more with iron costs etc..