Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
A Tournament Family Member Needs Our Prayers! - Page 5 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Tournament Message Board

Old 03-08-2012, 12:54 PM
Ted Takasaki

Hang in there buddy and fight a good fight!! My thoughts and prayers are with ya! Dufus needs ya.

Ted Takasaki
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2012, 06:57 PM
Minnow

Hi everyone I am a friend of the families and am putting together a way to raise a little money to help them out with everything! I am the owner of a Pointing Lab kennel out of Northwest Kansas and we will be raffling off one of our pointing lab pups with all of the proceeds going to help out Ron! More information can be viewed at http://jlpointinglabs.com/WinaPointingLabPuppy.aspx Thanks!
Old 03-11-2012, 07:21 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLPointingLabs View Post
Hi everyone I am a friend of the families and am putting together a way to raise a little money to help them out with everything! I am the owner of a Pointing Lab kennel out of Northwest Kansas and we will be raffling off one of our pointing lab pups with all of the proceeds going to help out Ron! More information can be viewed at http://jlpointinglabs.com/WinaPointingLabPuppy.aspx Thanks!

That's awesome! Good luck!

Juls
NPAA#89
Guide (Lake Erie Western Basin)
Vexus DVX22 Merc 400 Verado
Humminbird Helix 12s
MinnKota Terrova 112
Old 03-11-2012, 07:45 PM
Charter Member

Our prayers are with you all the way, get through this and back on the water soon.
May the Lord be with you and your family in this difficult time.

Rebs
Old 03-12-2012, 05:38 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLPointingLabs View Post
THANK YOU!!!

Stay tuned here for details on another effort of fund-raising for Ron in works now.
Steve Fellegy #49
Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about the things that matter. MLK
sf1954@embarqmail.com or 651-270-3383 cell#
Old 03-14-2012, 06:00 PM
Unlogged Eric Olson

Default The wry smile

I also have been lucky enough to get to know Ron over the years and consider him a friend, the wry smile he has when people often asked how he did always brought a smile to my face, though those not knowing Ron don't know the meaning behind it-- look out he's got a bag!!!

Though a man of few words he spoke thru his rods and capabilities, something we can all aspire to...

Good fight or otherwise Ron, hang tough, kick some A** like you always have, and come out the other side with that wry smile...We're all pullin (some lead) for ya!!

Eric
Old 03-14-2012, 06:26 PM
Wallhanger

Default Ron Seelhoff

I met ron one day at the garden ramp prefishing for an rcl wallmart tournament at the bays de noc.What a fun guy to be around he asked me some questions about the bays i know this area is his most unliked place to fish.Well ron i wish you speedy recovery heal up quick and get back in that lund.
Derek LaPointe #7
Old 03-15-2012, 05:51 AM
Charter Member

JK (former PWT boss) wrote and posted this yesterday. Now is the time and here is the place to say thanks to Ron for every trolling walleye you catch.

From JK:

"Writing the tournament series for the fishing fans of walleyefirst.com has allowed me to share the mastery, lessons and advice of the pro walleye anglers. Last month, my story on Ron Seelhoff hit a nerve. Following thyroid cancer surgery, he's now in the beginning stages of radiation treatment.

The reason it resonated was simple. This happened to Ron, and it could have been any of us. Without a larynx or vocal cords he is truly speechless. The surgeons also removed lymph nodes, his thyroid and parathyroid. After a brief healing, he has been back to the University of Nebraska cancer center where he faces seven weeks of intense full-beam radiation. His daughter Ivy said, "This is pretty tough stuff, where severe throat burns are likely, creating more problems."

This is where the story becomes touchy. Ron and Ivy (she is his caregiver, driver, interpreter, translator and much more) are staying in Omaha for the duration. That costs money, and this is an appeal to Ron's friends - those he knew and those who only knew him from afar - for a few dollars.

In talking to Ron via Ivy, he did not do the asking. I am doing that with this article. Ivy said the costs continue to mount, and assistance in the form of financial contributions and prayers will be deeply appreciated.

A fund has been set-up at Cancer Fund, Lisco State Bank, PO Box 105, Lisco, Nebraska 69148. Checks should be made out to the Ron Seelhoff Cancer Fund. I would encourage readers to forward this story (or the link) to others via your social media, and ask them to repay Ron for his pioneering in the walleye trolling world.

Hundreds of cards have cheered Ron through the pain and buoyed his spirits. He is hearing from folks he hasn't seen or shared a boat with for 20 years. People remember Ron. He influenced most of us, and pro angler Keith Kavajecz said, "To some, Ron's methods of trolling (especially lead core trolling) may seem a bit hap-hazard. What most people don't understand is that Ron has a great sense of where his baits are running - not only behind him, but in the water column.

"By altering his speed, he alters how deep the lead core runs - and therefore how deep his baits run. While most anglers have to try to maintain a certain depth for their lures to be in the strike zone, Ron works several depths at once, but changes his speed to keep his baits in the feeding zone. Ron actually made me change how I fish tournaments. After years of letting him troll his way to high finishes and big checks, I finally had to re-evaluate the percentage of time that I cranked as compared to other techniques. I now put cranking highest on my list of preferred methods to fish tournaments and have enjoyed much higher finishes as a result. Thanks Ron!"

One of Ron's amateur partners from when the PWT fished Lake Sakakawea in North Dakota, Pastor David Johansen, emailed from the Middle East. He said, "I pre-fished a day with Ron and what a great day it was. I learned a bunch and then some, including his trademark lead core techniques. He was kind, patient and down to earth. At various other PWT events, I'd see him and talk with him. He treated everyone, great or small, with kindness and gave them the time of day."
Seelhoff And Me! Pastor David Johansen

Pro Tommy Skarlis had this to say, "Ron will always be one of the top five greatest walleye anglers in history! He's the Dale Earnhardt of walleyes - the Intimidator. It always amazed me how he would take off at the start of a tournament with his rods standing in the air, loaded with baits for everyone to see, and not caring if anyone could read his mail. It's as if he was saying, 'I'm trolling these baits; see if you can keep up boys!'

"Ron has always been a fierce competitor, yet a man with a heart of gold. He would say something brash, yet if you had enough patience, he would crack and smile. He appreciated people who stood up to his 'attitude' and I know that's one of the reasons he and I enjoy each other's bantering. Although he lost his voice, I am sure he will get his 2-cents in. I also know he still has the ability to come back and dominate."

Ron got his fingers working the other day and sent me these comments via an email. He said, "Thank you from the bottom of my heart for all you and many others are doing to try and help me. It's amazing how things like this seem to bring us all closer together. I didn't have a clue how many people cared. I really thank everyone for their thoughts and prayers. I am where I am and will make the best of it, and am very hopeful to fish Lake Erie and get back into the ag plane again this year."

The doctors may be able to mark progress, but when I asked Ivy how Ron was doing the other day, she said, "Grumpy." I laughed and said, "He must be getting back to normal." Then, Ivy laughed with me. We both know he has a long, bumpy road ahead.

Ron's accomplishments on the Professional Walleye Trail include pocketing $670,000, qualifying for 16 championships and winning two of them, along with three second-place finishes at these elite events. He won on Mille Lacs in 2006 by trolling cranks. He won on Fort Peck in 2000 rigging. The next event that year was the Championship, and he won that trolling cranks on rip-rap. In 1999, he won the Championship (only back-to-back PWT Championship winner). In 1993 and 1995 he won Lake Oahe tournaments and claimed the prestigious 1995 Angler of the Year title. He won many other titles and events along the way.

Ron Seelhoff can be reached via email at rseelhoff@hotmail.com. Donations should be made to Ron Seelhoff Cancer Fund, and sent to Cancer Fund, Lisco State Bank, PO Box 105, Lisco, NE 69148. While Ron thanks us, it's really us - the collective walleye world - that owe him a debt of thanks!"

Editor's Note:
We are happy to provide permission to anyone wishing to post/reprint this article
Steve Fellegy #49
Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about the things that matter. MLK
sf1954@embarqmail.com or 651-270-3383 cell#
Old 03-17-2012, 03:34 PM
Minnow

Default One of a kind

I remember selling Ron crankbaits at Bonny Marina many years before he ever entered a walleye tournament! We are keeping him in our prayers as he fights this battle with cancer.

He truly is one of a kind. Hang in there, Ron!

Julie
Old 03-18-2012, 11:10 AM
Minnow

Hey ... Ron ... so sorry to hear of your illness ... you and Ivy are in our prayers ... praying that good health will return to you ... hoping to see you on Big Mac this summer ...

Steve & Sheryl Mullen