Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Most unusual walleye catches - Page 3 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Canada Eh? > Canada

Old 02-27-2012, 03:47 PM
Minnow

Default Things I've caught

I'm not that old, but have time on many different fisheries around the world. Things that I've hooked: Snake, Seagulls, Pelicans, Turltles, Plastic Buckets, Plastic Bags, Hat, Fly-Rod, Anchor, Frogs, Lobster, Blue Crab, Eels, buddies and boats.....My favorite catch was while trolling at one of my favorite spots in So. California. It was a brand new technique I was trying with limited success. Long story short, after a few misses I landed her. Her name is Tina and we've been together for 12 years

Tight Lines All.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2012, 07:15 PM
Wallhanger

We were fishing one afternoon and both of us had a crazy tangle. I was driving and just put motor in neutral so we could get stuff figured out. I got mine figured out but guy in front had not yet. I started getting stuff arranged in the back of the boat as we weren't going to fish much longer. I set my rod down and dangled the minnow over the edge while I cleaned up all my stuff and changed the music. I wasn't paying attention at all and the next thing you know we were bumping up against a small island. Oooops! Literally on the shore with rocks. Looked down and we were in about 2 to 3 feet of water. I went to start the motor and BOOM. Walleye. Pulled in about a 20" walleye. We literally sat in a couple feet of water, would dangle our line with a minnow over the edge of the boat and were pulling in 18 to 23" walleye left and right. Was like fishing blue gills. It was crazy! And, a lot of fun
Old 02-28-2012, 08:29 AM
Wallhanger

One year while on a fly in to a lake in Manitoba the mayflys were just starting one evening. I had my fly rod with me and began casting with it and actually caught a bunch of Walleye. It was a different experience and I would love to have the opportunity again.

Mike Kansas
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2012, 10:02 AM
Keeper

Was once night fishing with a buddy for largemouth on Silver Lake in Southeast WI. We were topwater fishing with SkitterPops. Hooked a walleye that we lost at boatside. It wasn't very big.
Old 02-28-2012, 03:47 PM
Slot Fish

Have caught 2 different rods and reels in roughly same area of same island at remote fly-in lake
Old 02-29-2012, 12:46 PM
Minnow

Default Lake St. Joseph / Lac Seul / Lake Nipigon

Ten years ago on Lake St. Joseph while fishing 3 in the boat we had a walleye with a born to lose tattoo on his chest...three jigs all in a row all over the same side drifting...bam...bam...bam. I was the first one and of course I missed mine...the other two both set the hooks and it turned out to be one 17 inch walleye with both their jigs set through the roof of his mouth and my minnow and mister twister tail in his mouth way down...never seen that...my two others...I netted a dead floater on Lac Seul that turned out to be a 5 lbs jack trying to eat a walleye head first....the walt flared his gills and they both died...the walleye;s head and should were decomposing from the stomach acid i guess because the rest of his body was normal...they were still connected...last story...Lake Trout fishing on Lake Nipigon and all boats in the party are petting deer...slow as can be...so one guy put a barn door hinge with a single barbless hook on and 10 minutes later...Whamo! Only fish that whole day...door hinge!

WMT
Old 02-29-2012, 03:24 PM
Minnow

not a walleye story but figured I would share anyway.. while fishing a cut in St George Island Florida I had just hooked up a nice 8 lb sea trout on a medium heavy rod with 20lb test when out of nowhere a 85lb goliath grouper swallowed the trout in one gulp. Somehow the trout got stuck almost sideways in the groupers stomach and he couldnt (or wouldnt) spit it out.. I fought the fish for 30 min until finally landing it on shore. After the shock of the whole event we tried to get the trout out of its stomach but it was so far inside the grouper it was impossible.. we ended up cutting the line and letting the grouper go..with the trout.
Old 02-29-2012, 07:57 PM
Slot Fish

One year, we were fishing a small bay, and a Loon was swimming near the boat. All of the sudden, it was gone -- as my partner was reeling in his crank, the loon was under water chasing it back to the boat...
Old 02-29-2012, 10:16 PM
Keeper

Location: Illinois- Where there’s a good chance your license plates were made by a former Governor

My wife and I were casting cranks on Gladstone Lake, near Niswa, Mn. On one cast, my sinking Rapala sailed about 30 feet before the reel locked up. The mono line stretched, then contracted like a rubber band. I saw the lure coming back towards my face, but only had time to turn my head away. Two barbs of the forward treble buried themselves in my left nostril.
I was surprised it was painless. I gave the Rapala a tug, but it wasn't moving. My wife was unaware of what had happened, so in a calm voice I asked her to look at my nose and tell me if the barbs were buried. After a little freaking out, she said they were buried to the curve of the hooks.
We returned to the cabin and I asked my Father-in-law for some help removing the lure. He completely lost it. No help. He couldn't even look at me. So, we hopped in the car and drove 18 miles to the ER in Brainerd. I rode in the front passenger seat. At any traffic light we stopped at, I would look at the car next to us and shake my head, rattling the Firetiger Rapala dangling from my nose. Priceless!
In the ER, the doctor said he removes about 75 hooks a year. He said i should consider myself lucky that it missed my eyes. The only painful part of the whole episode was the shot of lidocaine in my nose. Youch! Only one drop of blood and saved the lure.
I have never fished without eye protection since. That very cheap lesson saved my left eye a few years later. I was in a small boat fishing with two other guys. I was in the middle seat. The guy in the front hit me square in the left lens of my sunglasses as he drew back to cast a
Blue Fox spinner.

Be safe, Rick
Old 03-03-2012, 09:47 AM
Keeper

Last year fishing at Vanity Cup my partner gets hit pulling a live rig and it snapped off at the swivel. 2 minutes later a boat drifting behind us gets hit, raps the line in their prop and proceed to hand bomb the line until they have enough in their hand to cut it off. The partner then reties the line to a second rod in the boat while his partner is hand bombing this fish. Reel the fish in successfully with my partners hook, bait and line attached...........only a 12lb eye!! Ouch it hurt. Sometimes you just can't do anything wrong! Was a great catch to see.