Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Good insulated boots for ice fishing? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Ice Fishing - Mainly a winter sport > Ice Fishing

Old 12-06-2010, 05:11 PM
Wallhanger

Default Good insulated boots for ice fishing?

What are some good insulated waterproof boots that has worked good for you guys when icefishing? Especially when you encounter slush sometimes that soaks the boot. I have rockys with goretex liner but my feet always got soaked. Would like to use it for regular winter boots as well. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2010, 06:07 PM
Minnow

Default Muck Arctic Ice

I fish almost exclusively in a coupe (Shappell DX3000) so my feet are always off the ice and I run a Mr. Buddy to heat the shack. Muck Arctic Sport are a 16" neoprene boot rate to -40, that are completely waterproof and very comfortable for a pull on style boot. I wear a mid to heavy weight snowboard sock from Bridgedale and my feet have never been cold. Last year I sat out for 5 hours on LBDN in sub zero temps. I highly recommend them, but I don't sit outside on a bucket, so I am not sure this applicaiton they would be your best choice. Tight Lines

Last edited by Crooked Dave; 12-19-2010 at 06:42 PM. Reason: misquote on model of Muck
Old 12-06-2010, 06:36 PM
Keeper

Matterhorn, waterproof but they're not that well insulated. I've worn my in that slush all day and did get cold toes, but never wet. 15 yrs on my old pair.
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2010, 04:27 AM
Keeper

I like the LaCrosse 1500 denier. Great in slush, no leakage. Only your feet sweat in them a little, at least mine do. Great for walking on ice. I think they cost $130.00 at Reeds.
Old 12-07-2010, 08:51 AM
Wallhanger

Default Ice boots

If you are fishing in a shack (floor or not), I carry a cocoa mat and put it on the ice where my feet set. Keeping your feet directly off the ice/slush makes a huge difference in foot warmth. I'm handicapped and need to fish in a shack. If you are out wandering around this probably won't do. Just my 2 cents
Old 12-09-2010, 06:53 AM
Slot Fish

Default Boots

I bought a pair of Dura traxs (SP?) 800 gram rubber boots from cabelas and I love em. Great for slush and popping holes. My dad bought the 1200 gram because his feet always get cold. He loved his and hasn't complained about cold feet since.

Just a thought.

The Old Mud
Old 12-09-2010, 12:22 PM
Charter Member

I have a pair of timberland insulated leather boots and really love them, my feet stay dry and warm. I also have a pair of snowmobile boots, rubber bottom and nylon upper with a thick felt liner, I like these just as well, but they are a bit bulkier. I have never found a really great light weight boot for winter. I don't like real heavy boots but I guess there has to be a compromise somewhere.

Rebs
Old 12-09-2010, 08:03 PM
Charter Member

Have had great rsults with Sorel Caribou boots.Mine dont have the leather but they have the Cordura uppers.
Old 12-10-2010, 03:41 AM
Charter Member

Thumbs up

I recommend the Cabela's Trans Alaskan III boots. I have several seasons on them, still the best ice boot I have ever used, including the Military Mickey Boots I used for 25 puss years.

They have an extra thick sole to hyperinsulate you from the ice and keeps you up out of the slop. Watterproof, rated to -100+.

http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/large..._830531_999_01

Cabela's Trans-Alaska™ III Pac Boot

From the Iditarod trail to the treestand, these boots have proven they are true cold-weather performers. A 13mm Texel® removable liner reflects heat inward to minimize loss. Beneath that, the Moisture Trap footbed wicks away perspiration and condensation. A 1/2" layer of EVA foam, coupled with the nylon-covered Phylon midsole, puts 3" of cold-blocking material between your feet and the ground. The tough, flexible vamps are protected by a triple-layer, abrasion-resistant toe guard, and the rubber toe cap ensures longer wear. These boots have a reflective, lightweight waterproof shell with lightweight, reflective nylon shafts. Radiantex™ reflective coating. The 8" liner allows for pants inside the boots, and the rip-stop nylon gaiter has a cord-locked drawcord to keep out snow. They're easy to tighten, thanks to a one-pull ball bearing lacing system. Inside, a heat pack pocket allows you to insert toe warmer heat packs.

Height: 15".
Average weight: 5.8 lbs./pair.
Men's whole sizes: 7-13.

I just checked, and they just went on sale too. I never seen them any cheaper. $149.99

If your in deep deep slop, 6" - 8" of water at times, then a waterproof over-boot would also be wise. But once the slush and slop is 8" or more, it's time for tall rubber boots.

Old 12-11-2010, 02:05 PM
Wallhanger

Default Ice Kings

Boots have gotten lighter over the years, but they have sacraficed a bit of warmth in the process. You will never hear it from the manufactures as they rate their boots mostly by the amount of insulation in them. 800 grams, 1000 grams, 1200 grams, etc. But where is most of that insulation going? More than likely right around the ankles as that is the easiest place to put it and keep the boots lighter.

I am a huge fan of the traditional pac boots for ice fishing as they do a great job insulating the bottom of the boot, and they stay dry. But yes, they are a bit heavy and clunkly.

My recommendation is the Lacrosse Ice Kings. They have a thick felt footbed, thinsulate in the boots, and warm and cumfy liners. I retired my last pair after 20+ seasons on them, and am hoping to get quite a bit of time out of my new(er) ones. The quality still seems to be up there despite the boots no longer being manufactured in the USA (which made me a bit sad).

These boots are pretty reasonably priced too, I picked my pair up for $75 + free shipping from Reeds; but you should be able to find them under $100 from just about anywhere.