Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Trailer Coming Off Hitch - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Trailers and Tow Vehicles

Old 05-12-2015, 07:48 AM
Charter Member

Steve,
I also assume that when you checked the latch on the hitch, that the latch was still down and locked after the hitch had come off of the ball?

Be safe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2015, 01:07 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by REW View Post
Steve,
I also assume that when you checked the latch on the hitch, that the latch was still down and locked after the hitch had come off of the ball?

Be safe
Absolutely! I have a locking pin on the boat trailer and an enclosed trailer. I hadn't used a locking pin until someone decided to try and steal our new enclosed trailer when my wife and I stopped for dinner in Brainerd on our way home from the cabin. We parked well away from any other vehicles when we stopped as we needed more than one space. As we walked back to the truck in the dark we saw two guys get in a pickup and leave in a hurry. It turns out they were interested in borrowing our trailer on a rather permanent basis. I purchased locking pins for both trailers the next day.

I am confident that the trailer was all the way down on the ball when I connected it. If not, I think I would have had an issue at the boat ramp, as I used a very steep ramp.
Old 05-14-2015, 12:37 PM
Keeper

Take a floor jack (can use jack on boat but floor jack would be better) with you and a block of wood. Put the wood on the trailer close to the ball mount and jack up the trailer when you think everything is tight and fixed (balls do wear out and so do couplers but Adjustment normally on the coupler to tighten to keep in tolerance till junk). If you jack up and it move the tow vehicle up in height you should be safe. I'd bring a new ball along with you so you know it isn't worn out as well. Cheap insurance.

When I connect a boat or any trailer I can lift up on I always do. Messed up as a kids and Dad's truck had a dent in the tailgate till he traded it in. Reminded me every time to double check.

Some grease on the top of the ball is a good idea but don't go overboard. Just so it pivots w/o wearing either part down prematurely. For most dry how they are run but a small dab of grease on the top helps reduce wear (most boaters would never see this in a boats normal lifetime).

Best of luck and should have picked up as many lottery tickets because your darn lucky no vehicle damage.
Old 05-14-2015, 08:42 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBO View Post
Was the latch still down in the "locked" position? Most likely you set the ball down and it caught the backside of the latch assembly. Therefore the ball wasnt "cupped" properly and only had gravity holding it on the ball.
x 2 this is the most common problem of losing trailer. it is very easy to drop the trailer down on top of the locking cup. a good habit is to always reach under the ball/coupler after hook up and make sure the cup is under the ball and therefore won't allow the trailer to bounce off the hitch.
Old 05-15-2015, 07:48 AM
Wallhanger

there is a nut that adjusts the locking mechanism. if this nut backs off then it will allow the hitch to come off the ball. with the latch in the locked position make sure the locking mechanism is up close to the ball. you may need to tighten the nut.
Old 05-15-2015, 01:32 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by last chance View Post
there is a nut that adjusts the locking mechanism. if this nut backs off then it will allow the hitch to come off the ball. with the latch in the locked position make sure the locking mechanism is up close to the ball. you may need to tighten the nut.
That is also the first thing I would look at. If that nut loosened up it will not grip the ball the way it is supposed to and allow the hitch to come off the ball even though everything else is the way it should be.
Old 05-15-2015, 07:55 PM
Wallhanger

When I was a teenager my brother and I borrowed my grandfathers old fiberglass boat. We were towing it, hit a bump and low and behold the hitch came off the ball. We were only going like 35 mph(luckily). The safety cables were old and snapped as we were trying to stop. The boat and trailer cruised down into someone's front lawn and the boat slid off the trailer into their ditch. That was scary. We were able to muscle the front of the boat back onto the trailer and winch it back on. Luckily there wasn't any damage. We went home and found out the nut on the hitch was loose. We fixed that and replaced the safety cables with chains. Luckily grandpa was always more understanding than my father!! Lesson learned. I always check the fit of the hitch every spring before I take my boats out now.
Old 05-16-2015, 04:24 AM
Wallhanger

I was hooking up the boat the other day and found the trailer ball loose. It's a stainless ball. I've never had a ball loosen up before. Check everything.
Old 05-16-2015, 05:56 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by brigeton View Post
I was hooking up the boat the other day and found the trailer ball loose. It's a stainless ball. I've never had a ball loosen up before. Check everything.
I was going down to Brookville lake a few yrs ago and went over a rr crossing and lost my trailer. thank god for safety chains and a spare ball in my truck. it was a little squirrely at first but once I got slowed enough to take the tension out of my chains it was no problem getting stopped.
Old 05-16-2015, 08:22 AM
Keeper

When ever I put my boat on my truck I check everything. However I rented a trailer from homedepot to pick up a tractor for my uncle. They put the trailer on the ball while I did the chains and lights. Took it for granted they did it right. Uncle and I bring tractor home no problem, on way back to return trailer it pops off ball. Glad it had spare tire on front that's what cushioned against my tail gate as I slowed it down. Lesson learned always check and never trust anyone else. The weight of the tractor must of kept it down on way home. The hitch pin was in coupler, they must of closed the coupler above the ball and not around it.