Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
What lights for night fishing? - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Strictly Fishing

Old 01-27-2017, 05:47 PM
Keeper

I made a pole for night fishing. It hangs my white gas Coleman lantern about 4' off the side of the boat and about 5' above my head while standing. I wear a wide brimmed hat, or a baseball cap will work, to keep the light out of my eyes. The lantern has the advantage of drawing the bugs away from me, and over the water. When they die the fall into the water, not in my boat.

Plus there is more than enough light to provide working light in the boat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2017, 02:27 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanr3 View Post
I made a pole for night fishing. It hangs my white gas Coleman lantern about 4' off the side of the boat and about 5' above my head while standing. I wear a wide brimmed hat, or a baseball cap will work, to keep the light out of my eyes. The lantern has the advantage of drawing the bugs away from me, and over the water. When they die the fall into the water, not in my boat.

Plus there is more than enough light to provide working light in the boat.
Nice. Off to the side that's a great idea. I could do that with some white or green LEDs super quick.
Thanks!!!
Old 02-05-2017, 09:46 AM
Wallhanger

We do quite a bit of night fishing for walleye and musky. We have always used headlamps for almost everything until it comes time to land a fish. I built a light mast out of a seat pedestal and pvc pipe. I drilled a hole through the top of a pedestal and fit a pvc pipe inside of it held in place with a clevis pin. The pvc pipe is about 8ft high to the top and I mounted a 12v light to it. I wire the light to a toggle switch which is mounted about 3ft up the pvc pipe. Then I run alligator clips down the pvc pipe to connect to a battery. It lights the whole back of the boat up and the light is rigged so you can point the light to either side of the boat or off the back. It works pretty good and only takes 2 minutes to put in or take out. The pedestal can be installed on the front casting deck, a rear passenger seat mount or the rear casting deck so you can use it for any type of night fishing and keep it relatively out of the way.