Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
LOTW Walleye in September - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Canada Eh? > Canada

Old 06-09-2006, 05:47 PM
Slot Fish

Default LOTW Walleye in September

I normally spend two weeks on LOTWs in late May early June, however, this year my trip has been pushed back to the week of Labor Day. What can I expect during the fall? I have read some stuff about lake turnover (hope I don’t hit it) but thought that might occur more towards the end of Sept early Oct. How will the fishing compare to May, June? How is the fishing for other species? I know it is several months away but I would like to know what to expect.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2006, 08:22 AM
Well

Default RE: LOTW Walleye in September

>I normally spend two weeks on LOTWs in late May early June,
>however, this year my trip has been pushed back to the week of
>Labor Day. What can I expect during the fall?

Seeing as no one else has replied, I will give you some of my experience.

Frankly, it depends on where you go on LOW. I have fished the NE Quadrant for 2 decades now. I now limit my fishing to mid-June through mid-August for predictability of the fishery.

I have found that the weather in May is so unpredictable that the fishing is feast or famine, depending on the spawn cycle, which in turn is driven by weather and water temperatures.

September sees a lot of cold fronts going through. That means lots of high winds, lots of temperature changes, and lot of changing in fish patterns. I have seen this area nearly shut down for walleye catches. I am talking going from 70 fish a day during the summer period to 7 a day during September for some pretty good fishermen!!! I fished this area in September for 4 or 5 years before I gave up. When you do find fish, they are generally concentrated on deeper water food shelves, but getting them to take bait is nearly impossible. Pretty frustrating.

I can't address other LOW areas. I have not fished them.

Old 06-11-2006, 08:41 AM
RH

If you go end of Septemeber first week of October, the walleyes are starting to group up in water 25-35 feet deep. Morson area, Miles bay can be very good. 50-100 walleyes a day not uncommon when you find them. Chance for 6# plus as well. Bonus crappie are on the bite in Miles then also.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2006, 09:02 AM
Slot Fish

I will be fishing the Whitefish bay/Sunset Channel area the week of Labor Day.

Thank you for your responses
Old 06-11-2006, 12:34 PM
Well

I CAN give you some info about the Morson area. I ran into these folks at the Milwaukee Sports Show this past March. I have corresponded with them by e-mail as well as spent some time talking to them at the Sports Show.

It is a place I have not tried yet, but I would be willing to go there based on my conversations with them. The husband of the husband-wife team that own and run the place is an avid fisherman and bought the place for its year-round fishing. Honest, conscientious people. I discussed specifically September fishing with him and he assured me that they see no drop off in the September catch.

In fact, I considered going there this year and may yet decide to do so after my July and August trips to my usual Canadian camp.

http://www.morsonoutfitters.com/grassy/index.htm
Old 06-11-2006, 02:57 PM
Wallhanger

You should have decent fishing around Labor Day. Be prepared for any kind of weather. I think the walleye should still be on the mid-lake humps.

I've made 14 trips to the camp in Miles Bay run by morsonoutfitters (Grassy Narrows Lodge). The October fishing can be amazing. Walleye, crappie and muskie are all good in October.
Motorguide Bow Mount
Hummingbird Helix 7
Dual Pro Onboard
Bert's Rod Holders
Custom EZ Loader Trailer