Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
I found my fuel line problem, check this out! - Page 7 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Motors and Props

Old 04-05-2012, 08:17 PM
Keeper

Just checked fuel lines on my 2003 C.Liner Fish Hawk 1650
No sign of deterioration so far
F90 and 9.9 Yamahas
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2012, 08:54 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerr unlogged View Post
Exactly the reason I run 91 octain (non-oxy) in my f115. Not taking any chances with a like situation. I also have a tendency to overdose with Seafoam. Knock on wood, never have encountered this unpleasant situation- - jerr
Hate to say it but non-oxy doesn't mean non ethanol. You need to make sure your pump is non ethanol. Usually 30-40cents a gallon more than non-oxy stuff.

Look your station up here.

http://pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=MN
Old 04-07-2012, 08:27 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Pederson View Post
Hate to say it but non-oxy doesn't mean non ethanol. You need to make sure your pump is non ethanol. Usually 30-40cents a gallon more than non-oxy stuff.

Look your station up here.

http://pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=MN
Steve:

I'm a little confused by your post. Ethanol is classified as both a biofuel and an oxygenate. I would expect non-oxygenated or "non-oxy" fuel would have no ethanol. You say differently, so perhaps you know something I don't? BTW, this is a sincere question.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2012, 08:47 AM
Wallhanger

My knowledge comes from reading topics like this on different forums, and the puregas.com website.

If i'm wrong disregard. Can anyone confirm if non oxy, is non ethanol? The station i go to has non-oxy 91 octane, and non-ethanol 91 octane. Different pumps, different prices. This is confusing. If non oxy is non ethanol i could save some $$
Old 04-07-2012, 10:29 AM
Wallhanger

I can only guess, but I suspect the "non-oxy" fuel has no oxygenates at all, while the "non-ethanol" fuel could have an oxygenate other than ethanol (most of which are more expensive than ethanol). The EPA requires oxygenates in fuels for over-the-road use in many parts of the country. Some of the recognized oxygenates are:
Alcohols:
Methanol (MeOH)
Ethanol (EtOH)
Isopropyl alcohol (IPA)
n-butanol (BuOH)
Gasoline grade t-butanol (GTBA)
Ethers:
Methyl tert-butyl ether (MTBE)
Tertiary amyl methyl ether (TAME)
Tertiary hexyl methyl ether (THEME)
Ethyl tertiary butyl ether (ETBE)
Tertiary amyl ethyl ether (TAEE)
Diisopropyl ether (DIPE)

It would be unhelpful (but not deceptive) if the "non-ethanol" fuel had methanol or isopropanol as the oxygenate. There is a simple test- mix a small amount of water with a 10X as much gasoline, shake and let settle. If the volume of the water (lower) layer increases, there is probably methanol, ethanol or isopropanol in the fuel. I have a kit that makes this easy to do, similar to the plastic tube in this test kit:
http://www.fuel-testers.com/

Last edited by yarcraft91; 04-07-2012 at 10:34 AM.