Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Bunk vs Roller - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Trailers and Tow Vehicles

Old 07-20-2011, 10:49 AM
Minnow

Default Bunk vs Roller

I am wondering which is a better option for a 17 foot fishing boat. The salesman insists that a bunk trailer is the best option and easiest to load, but I have had nothing but negative experiences with bunk trailers (all with smaller, older Lund fishing boats). I have noticed that in recent years more of the pro v style boats have bunk trailers and wonder if the manufactures have improved the designs or if he is trying to sell me a cheaper trailer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-20-2011, 10:58 AM
Charter Member

I believe that the deciding factors are how and where you tend to fish. The resort I go to in the spring has such a shallow ramp I can't get my boat off the bunks, so I have to launch elsewhere. Yet, when I'm by myself, I find a bunk trailer easier to deal with, especially when loading, since the boat won't "roll off" when you go to attach the winch strap.
Most trailer manufacturers offer the same basic frame with the choice of rollers or bunks, so one isn't necessarily cheaper than the other. It is important to make sure it is sized correctly for the intended load, and if at all possible, try to get a trailer design that allows the hull to fit lower, between the fenders, rather than up above them. The lower the hull, the less you need to back in.

HRG
Old 07-20-2011, 10:59 AM
Wallhanger

If we can get HRG to respond, he has the best of both worlds I think, bunk and rollers.
The think bunks help keep the boat from rolling off the trailer a bit before your ready and I'm assuming help guide the boat on.

Something I'm looking into as a project.

HRG??

Al

I see he beat me to it, don't you have a trailer with both???

Last edited by AllenW; 07-20-2011 at 11:00 AM. Reason: HRG is quicker than I thought
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-20-2011, 11:08 AM
Minnow

I should have also stated that the bunk trailer is custom made for the boat, so I am guessing that will make a difference. I do land in some shallow water areas, but the salesman said the trailer design keep the boat very low between the fenders. The boat is a Smokercraft Ultima with a custom Smokercraft trailer. I have not owned a newer boat and nothing close to this size. Thanks for the help
Old 07-20-2011, 12:36 PM
Keeper

Pope - my 18'-6" Reata with a bunk trailer will launch in much skinnier water than I expected. As long as I can back the trailer into water just below the top of the fender, the boat will come off. Not saying that the Smokercraft trailer is the same, but this has been my experience. As HRG mentioned, the bunks are great for keeping the boat on the trailer when loading/unloading by yourself; especially on a windy day.

Will the salesman let take you take the rig out to a shallow launch to try it before you make the purchase?

Last edited by 1MoreLastCast; 07-20-2011 at 06:29 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 07-21-2011, 03:30 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by pope View Post
I am wondering which is a better option for a 17 foot fishing boat. The salesman insists that a bunk trailer is the best option and easiest to load, but I have had nothing but negative experiences with bunk trailers (all with smaller, older Lund fishing boats). I have noticed that in recent years more of the pro v style boats have bunk trailers and wonder if the manufactures have improved the designs or if he is trying to sell me a cheaper trailer.
Where do you live?... Most anywhere west or south of Minnesota... you'll see bunks on almost every boat around. And there are good reasons.

Then only time a roller trailer has an advantage is if you have such a shallow ramp that you must physically push the boat off the trailer.
Old 07-21-2011, 04:06 PM
Wallhanger

I had issues with shallow ramps with my bunk trailer. I installed some engineered plastic bunk boards, when I had some issues with rotting wood, and I was then able to push the boat off very easily. That would be something I wouldn't even consider in your case, unless you really have issues with the new trailer. But it did work well.

For all the reasons stated, I've liked the bunk trailer much more than the roller I had on the last boat. Lots of "oh #*@#" and lots of brusied hands and forearms from the winch handle taking off on me, as it would roll off. If it's sitting lower and between the fenders, you got a leg up in the shallow ramp area, and loading too.
Old 07-21-2011, 05:44 PM
Minnow

Default Bunk or Roller

I prefer a bunk the boat has more to ride on and seems to me a lot easier to get loaded. had a shorelander roller with my last lund and it was hard to get it on trailer centered. was set up with factory specs. was my first roller and last. have had 5 other boats all were bunks.

let dealer take you out with both kinds is a good idea.
Old 07-21-2011, 07:43 PM
Minnow

Thanks for the help.
Old 07-22-2011, 06:56 PM
Keeper

I have had good luck with one of these.

http://www.trailmastertrailers.com/t...master_channel

It centers real nice and the bunks give the boat a good solid place to sit when not on the water.