Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Buying a new boat - advice needed - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Old 01-02-2015, 01:51 AM
Wallhanger

Default Wierd I think different

Get boat you like motor is secondary! I would be happy with impact running old school 2stroke carb 75hp.
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2015, 04:59 AM
Wallhanger

I bought a Classic 165 cs with a Merc 60 4s a couple months ago, and really like it so far. The 60 pushes me and a light load to 30mph easily at around 4500rpm. Redline is 5-6K, so more speed is there but 30 is fast enough for me on a normal day and my style of fishing. I have a 55# Terrova on it but no kicker. I can troll all day (8 hrs) on one group 27 battery from .8-1.2mph. I can't say if a kicker would fit on the classic, others can advise on that but a 9.9 might be a bit much for a Classic. Something else for you to consider.

The dealer had an Escape with console, 40 Merc 4s on the floor as well, and it looked to be the same size/weight/layout as the Tracker Super Guide 16V which a buddy has. The 40 on his tracker seems a bit underpowered with two people (425#) and gear, but fishes good, a bit crowded but manageable. I've spent several days in the Tracker SG 16V and I considered it but the 40 concerned me, and that was one reason I went with the Classic, more room/hp in the Classic, for just a few more $$'s. Even my buddy wishes his Tracker had a bit more room.

Last edited by TNtroller; 01-02-2015 at 05:09 AM.
Old 01-02-2015, 05:38 AM
Minnow

Thanks for all the advice fellas. I'm leaning towards a tiller model which may seem silly, but I have two reasons. First, floor space is important because when fishing locally I usually have two buddies in the boat with me and a console would make things even more crowded. Second, I'm a big guy (6'6" 280 lbs) and am concerned with leg room at a console (I plan to sit in various models at the Minneapolis boat show and see whether or not I can fit my fat a## behind any of the consoles).

As far as power goes, most of my fishing will be done at a local 'no wake' lake. Our annual Canadian fishing trip is at a chain of lakes with lots of hazards. Over the last 18 years we've hit enough reefs and damaged enough props/lower units to know that tearing around full throttle usually leads to bad things. Over the years we've found most of the problem areas and know our way around really well, but the water levels fluctuate from year to year and we still 'discover' new reefs from time to time

The local lake I fish has a 10hp max from Memorial Day to Labor Day so ideally I would simply switch outboards from the main one to the 9.9. My understanding is that all outboards larger than 25hp bolt to/through the transom so switching out becomes a chore. The regulations allow for the larger motor to still be on the boat so long as it's not being operated, so I could leave it on and simply use my 9.9 like a kicker but that sounds a little clumsy to me so any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Most of my fishing is for walleye and pan fish, and I'm pretty well set on a 16-17.5' deep V with anywhere from a 25-60hp motor. Once I get this new boat I'll hopefully get out more often and try new lakes. Maybe even head north for long weekends on some bigger water (we don't have much of that in Iowa).

I've never owned a boat with a decent trolling motor so thanks for the tips on that TNTroller!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2015, 05:53 AM
Keeper

Wanting a tiller doesn't seem silly to many of us. I had one boat with a wheel. I went back to a tiller and never wanted for the wheel again. I can assure you that there was plenty of times I wanted a tiller when I had a wheel
2014 G3 V167T Angler
Yamaha F40LA
MinnKota V2 PD45
Humminbird 581i HD DI Combo
The Esox Lucius

U.S. Army 95B30-Z6 1979-1990
Old 01-02-2015, 06:28 AM
Wallhanger

If you are looking for a tiller and will be running a 9.9 most of the time you could even look to buy a boat minus a motor for now and see what you could find used to run as a bigger motor if/when needed. I like having both motors of the back of my boat. Hopefully at least one of them will start and run to get me back to shore, especially when I amoved in Canada and may not see another boat for days.

Most tiller models have a lower hp rating than their console or walk thru models do.

I think you need to go and look at different models and see what layout you like best. Is your current boat a tiller? I know lots of people prefer them, I am not one of them. For trolling I like to sit behind the steering wheel. Although the ipilot really makes it nice to walk around the boat, fight fish, land fish etc. Without worrying about going toout far off course.
Old 01-02-2015, 07:22 AM
Wallhanger

For years I had nothing but utility boats with tiller. I got fancy ideas and bought a wheel boat, and I missed sitting in the back being able to control things from there. Back to tiller. I bought a Lund Rebel XL, it has a nice big compartment in the stern bench, I'm able to put all my tackle in there, and I have nothing occupying floor space except a small cooler for lunch/etc, and minnow pail. I really like being able to walk around the wide open floor if necessary to land a fish or whatever. Also, I went overboard on trolling motor. I put an 80lb Terrova ipilot on there. No need for kicker, I can run the trolling motor while sitting in "my place" at the stern. I know that doesn't wholly address the op's issue of the ten horse limit, but I'd think maybe the 9.9 would suffice or maybe a Vantage? This setup works well for me, but I'm really not able to travel to big waters either.

Just a quick edit, I looked real hard at Alumacraft Competitors, it has a very nice layout. Almost bought one, but just couldn't swallow the attitude of the salesman at the local dealer, and could never get a call back from salesman from Cabelas. So, I went with a dealer I knew would take care of me and bought the Lund here locally.

Last edited by goldman; 01-02-2015 at 07:27 AM.
Old 01-03-2015, 08:41 AM
Minnow

So if I were to mount my 9.9 Yamaha with a 20" shaft on the transom would I need a mounting plate? The transom is 20" high and dips down in the middle for the main outboard, so if I were to clamp the 9.9 on the left side would I be OK (see pic)? Thanks again
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_0402.jpg
Views:	298
Size:	285.7 KB
ID:	124154  
Old 01-03-2015, 09:57 AM
Wallhanger

I know nothing about Alumacraft boats. The only advice I can offer is, don't mention your certificate until you have made your deal. Good luck.
Old 01-03-2015, 11:38 AM
Wallhanger

You can clamp the 9.9 on without a jack plate.

Competitor in the pic?

On that particular boat I would consider placing the kicker motor on the starboard side to offset the weight of the live well when it is full.

I know that my 165 Competitor will list slightly when running at speed with the live well full and 2 passengers in the boat.

Last edited by man164; 01-03-2015 at 11:44 AM.
Old 01-04-2015, 06:15 AM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by moondog71 View Post
So if I were to mount my 9.9 Yamaha with a 20" shaft on the transom would I need a mounting plate? The transom is 20" high and dips down in the middle for the main outboard, so if I were to clamp the 9.9 on the left side would I be OK (see pic)? Thanks again
I have a 9.9 Yamaha with a 20" shaft mounted on my Dominator 165 which appears to have a transom similar to the one you show in the picture. Mine is clamped right to the transom. The dealer did not not use any type of a plate or additional hardware.

I hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DOM 165 4.jpg
Views:	301
Size:	365.5 KB
ID:	124306