Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Hard starting in cold weather - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Motors and Props

Old 10-18-2011, 07:13 AM
Keeper

Default Hard starting in cold weather

My 60 HP Mariner 2 stroke tiller 1996 has a tough time warming up when temps are low close to freezing . It's one of those push in key chokes and it's getting worse over the last couple years . It takes longer and longer to warm up . Use to just push in the key once or twice and she'd run great . Now it's pushing in the key 5 or 6 times to keep her running until she's warmed up . What to do ? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-18-2011, 08:02 AM
Wallhanger

Yours kept running with only 1 push of the key choke??? That was not really normal to begin with on those ole Merc carbed 2 strokes.

Any of my Mercs always required choked several times through the initial cold start warmup. Always. Not really unusual, as most any motor needs a little choke or primer to get through initial warmup,whether it was manual or electronically controlled like on the newer stuff.

There have been a few threads about this on and off here. Conclusion was for these Merc carbed 2 strokes,it was pretty normal,especially in as cold as you were complaining about. But, if performance degrading,just could be wear and tear on stuff. Could be your carbs need a good cleanout. Try fresh plugs,they may be close to fouling. Do a compression check. Replace your fuel primer bulb and hose,may be loosing prime or sucking air through a connector fitting. These are just some basics to start with.

Last edited by MarkG; 10-18-2011 at 08:06 AM.
Old 10-20-2011, 08:54 AM
Slot Fish

Default Hard starting

I also had a 1991 merc 60hp. It always was rough when started but needed to be choked every time. After running 100 yards at half throttle it would run as normal. When I tried to start when it was cold I mean down to 32 degrees it was harder to start for sure. Full choke was needed and usually multiple tries to evenyually get it going. But once it warmed up it always idled and ran well in the 16 years I owned it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2011, 07:11 AM
Slot Fish

Put some Sea Foam in the tank, did that with my little Evenrude and it runs like a top. Do you change your spark plugs regularly? Gas is getting worse and worse as far as ethanol goes, that stuff reeks havoc on fuel systems in older boats.
Old 10-21-2011, 04:52 PM
Wallhanger

Ihave an older 150 merc. Starts great when warm, but gets fussy when its cold. The nature of the beast.