Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Minkota Vantage ?? - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Motors and Props

Old 10-25-2011, 02:56 PM
Wallhanger

Thanks guys...Is it safe to assume that this is when back trolling?

I am able to "slip" pretty well with the bow mount, particularly against current...but think I may be thinking of something else.
Advertisement

Old 10-25-2011, 03:28 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Further North View Post
Thanks guys...Is it safe to assume that this is when back trolling?

I am able to "slip" pretty well with the bow mount, particularly against current...but think I may be thinking of something else.
Backtrolling, controlling the speed/direction of a drift, or simply hovering on a precise spot when you've got wind and waves pushing you around. Regardless, you've got the stern of the boat facing into the wind/current or the direction you want to go.

The Vantage or any rear RM is pretty useless at pushing a boat forward. It can be done, but it's not pretty, kind of like trying to push a boat backward with a bow mount...

Waxy
Old 10-25-2011, 06:41 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waxy View Post
Backtrolling, controlling the speed/direction of a drift, or simply hovering on a precise spot when you've got wind and waves pushing you around. Regardless, you've got the stern of the boat facing into the wind/current or the direction you want to go.
Thanks, that makes sense (except for the hovering part...I just press the spot lock button on the Terrova remote for that ). Your explanation helps quite a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waxy View Post
The Vantage or any rear RM is pretty useless at pushing a boat forward. It can be done, but it's not pretty, kind of like trying to push a boat backward with a bow mount...
Funny you should mention that...I got my Pro-V way down a creek up in Canada this summer that was too narrow to turn around in...found a down tree blocking the way...hadda back 'er out the whole way....against the current....
Old 10-25-2011, 07:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
What would the advantage to a rear mounted TM vs. a bow mount?
Forgot to mention, I'm a lousy shore-caster, so when we have to go get those $7 Rapalas out of the trees, it's easier to "nose in" with the TM on the transom.

We leave no "soldier" behind, so to speak

HRG
Old 10-25-2011, 09:07 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Runr Guy View Post
Forgot to mention, I'm a lousy shore-caster, so when we have to go get those $7 Rapalas out of the trees, it's easier to "nose in" with the TM on the transom.

We leave no "soldier" behind, so to speak

HRG
Ha! Been there, done that....as recently as Sunday afternoon...
Old 10-26-2011, 09:33 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Thanks, that makes sense (except for the hovering part...I just press the spot lock button on the Terrova remote for that ). Your explanation helps quite a bit.

Funny you should mention that...I got my Pro-V way down a creek up in Canada this summer that was too narrow to turn around in...found a down tree blocking the way...hadda back 'er out the whole way....against the current....
I plan on having a Terrova with I-pilot on my rig next year, but from what I've heard from guys that have them, is that the spot lock is great, but definitly not a replacement for the precision of the Vantage. With a Vantage, I can keep my line almost perfectly vertical until the conditions get to the point where it's just ridiculous and it's time to change presentations. My understanding of the spot lock feature is that it will keep you on a spot, but it isn't nearly that precise (unless conditions are ideal), and you'd have to be standing right at the tip of the bow to get the maximum effect, as opposed to at the stern. I look forward to being able to use both motors though, who knows, maybe I'll be a convert to the bowmount.

That must have been a fun journey lol.

Waxy