Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Any WC people travel to the Dominican Republic? - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 01-15-2014, 07:07 AM
Minnow

Aaron,
Have fun and be safe. Lot's of good security information from the State Dept. Read this and you will see why we stay at all inclusives that we trust.
http://travel.state.gov/content/pass...-republic.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2014, 08:40 AM
Wallhanger

thanks, the condo is directly in between two all inclusive resorts.
Old 01-15-2014, 08:46 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzuki View Post
After all these stories I cannot imagine going someplace where I had to stay in a compound to be safe.
If I cannot move around freely amoung the inhabitants there's no way I would go.
Great, and I'm heading there in 10 days.
HB Helix 12 SI
112Terrova I-pilot
101 Vantage
Noco Genius Battery Chargers
w5
Old 01-15-2014, 08:49 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwalleye5 View Post
Great, and I'm heading there in 10 days.
Don't mind me. I've never been a fan of leaving the US. I wont even go to Canada anymore.
Old 01-16-2014, 04:01 PM
Charter Member

I have been to the Dominican Republic twice, once in Puerto Plata (all inclusive) and once in the Punta Cana (condo) area.
You are staying near Punta Cana, which has a beautiful beach. We took a tour of the countryside and toured a school. This is a country of extreme poverty. The roads are absolutely horrible, thus adding lots of extra time to get anywhere. The tour was interesting, gets you out of the condo. We also took a river cruise, lots of wildlife.
We left extra toiletries for the hotel maid and brought supplies for the school. I think those supplies are sometimes sold by the school children because we saw kids hustling supplies in the streets.
There is a Brugal Rum plant in Puerto Plata. Interesting, so I have heard. Brugal is Pooch's favorite rum.
As others have said, be aware of your surroundings. Where we stayed, there were security guards who made scheduled rounds along the premises. From the condo grounds, someone stole shoes that were placed at the edge of the property. Some people moved into our condo resort after being ripped off in the middle of the night in the resort they had been staying in. Like I said, the people are nice, clean, but the poverty in the Dom. Rep. leads some people into lives of crime.
Little kids will follow you, begging..sad. Try to watch the kids play baseball in the parks. Future US major league players?

Pooch's throttle stop (AKA wife)

"Human beings seldom think for themselves... For the most part, members of our species simply repeat what they are told and become upset if they are exposed to any different view. The characteristic human trait is not awareness but conformity... We are stubborn, self-destructive conformists. Any other view of our species is just a self-congratulatory delusion."

Last edited by Pooch; 01-16-2014 at 04:20 PM.