Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Thorne Bros. - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Muskie Central > General Discussion

Old 02-24-2012, 12:36 PM
Minnow

Default Thorne Bros.

Does anyone own a Thorne Bros custom rod? If so, what are your thoughts? I know the are $$$$$$$$, but, there are benefits to that. Lookiing for some opinions. Thx.
Old 02-24-2012, 05:55 PM
Minnow

I don't own any but I build on their blanks. I just finished up a 9'3" XH Predator for a guy in NY. They're great quality blanks, they're built by St Croix so you know they're quality. I think they're a bit heavier than the Legend Tourney rods...if I'm not mistaking, they are rolled with an extra layer of carbon fiber to give them a thicker wall so they are more durable.

jeremy
Old 02-24-2012, 05:57 PM
Keeper

Default the best

I own 4 Thorne Customs and they are the best of the best. You can use whatever blank you want, customize all sorts of options from handle length to rod guides, wrap colours, and have your name written on it if you like.

I have 2 Predators - a 9'H and 9'6"XH for casting. I was stunned at how light the 9' combo was when I picked it up with reel on if for the first time. The 9'H is hard to put down regardless of what I'm throwing.

Also 2 trolling rods (a 9' and an 8"6") that are absolutely amazing tools for trolling big crank baits.

The guys in the rod shop at Thorne push out quality every time.

I will be picking up a 3rd trolling rod before the fall.

Their annual spring sale is coming up in April and you can usually get 10% off a custom rod build at that time. Check with them for details. You may even be able to order it ahead of time and have it shipped or pick up during the sale with the sale price.
Morson, Ontario, Canada
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2012, 12:53 PM
Keeper

i have 11 thorn bros rods and having a new one built for this year i only have 1 rod in my boat that is not a thorn bros rod and that is a T/I . the T/I rod is ok it is there 9 foot extra hevy for 8 to 36 but casting a pounder its like the whole rod bends in half if i tried a 2 pounder i think it woyld snap in half the thorn bros rods load up faster more tords the tip thats why there building my new on they do cost more but worth it