Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
No posts about the new 350 Verado and 400R - Page 3 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Motors and Props

Old 02-18-2015, 04:21 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by rschoening View Post
Moonshine?
got a quart of black cherry in my Skeeter, waiting for a day to go "fishing"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2015, 07:21 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeter012 View Post
Except there is ONE outboard you never see in the salt. Yep that would be Merc.
Actually the last time I was in the Keys (last month) I noticed almost every Merc on a boat had the decals removed. Either every Merc owner was embarrassed or Merc used poor decals.

I saw probably 40% Merc and 50% Yammi outboard, Johnson and Suzuki were the other 10%.

Most the used bay boats I've looked at have Merc's on the back.

Last edited by Wade B AKA: Ruger2506; 02-18-2015 at 07:24 PM.
Old 02-18-2015, 11:50 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade B AKA: Ruger2506 View Post
Actually the last time I was in the Keys (last month) I noticed almost every Merc on a boat had the decals removed. Either every Merc owner was embarrassed or Merc used poor decals.

I saw probably 40% Merc and 50% Yammi outboard, Johnson and Suzuki were the other 10%.

Most the used bay boats I've looked at have Merc's on the back.
now u r just stiring the pot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2015, 06:41 AM
Slot Fish

Quote:
you got me there, sponsored boats have mercs on them.
Billy. You might want to come down out of the hills once in awhile. Maybe take a trip down to the sea shore some where, but I sugjest leaving your plow ,harness and blinders at home. Look around, but pull your hat out of your eyes so you can truly see what you see. Last year in the Keys, 2 trips off shore for strippers, yellow fins, & a bunch of fish I can't even remember, 2 different boats , 2 different Captains and for some reason both boats had Mercs on them. 1 had 2 Mercs the other had 3. Also 2 trips into the Everglades , and for some reason both them boats had Mercs on theirs too. Simple amazing. Wade's right, them guys leave their boats sitting in the sun, everyday day in and day out, very seldom do they every have a cover over them. And Mercs stickers suck, a couple years of sun and they are gone.
Minnkota 101 Terrova
2 Lowrance HDS12s & 1 HDS9 touchs

Life's good if ur Fishin
Old 02-19-2015, 02:12 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutter Bob View Post
Billy. You might want to come down out of the hills once in awhile. Maybe take a trip down to the sea shore some where, but I sugjest leaving your plow ,harness and blinders at home. Look around, but pull your hat out of your eyes so you can truly see what you see. Last year in the Keys, 2 trips off shore for strippers, yellow fins, & a bunch of fish I can't even remember, 2 different boats , 2 different Captains and for some reason both boats had Mercs on them. 1 had 2 Mercs the other had 3. Also 2 trips into the Everglades , and for some reason both them boats had Mercs on theirs too. Simple amazing. Wade's right, them guys leave their boats sitting in the sun, everyday day in and day out, very seldom do they every have a cover over them. And Mercs stickers suck, a couple years of sun and they are gone.
I like "strippers". I am in the gulf often, hardly ever see mercs. Mostly Yamaha and Honda. Are there a few mercs out there, sure there is but not in numbers as there are on the inland waters.
Old 02-19-2015, 03:14 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
I like "strippers". I am in the gulf often, hardly ever see mercs. Mostly Yamaha and Honda. Are there a few mercs out there, sure there is but not in numbers as there are on the inland waters.
I wonder if that's not because Merc owns Lund so they force their outboards down freshwater fisherman throats. Not to mention Merc is usually cheaper and salt guys are spending big money so they aren't pinching pennies like entry level freshwater guys.
Old 02-19-2015, 03:51 PM
Wallhanger

Default Ymmd

I guess it is just what you happen to see. I've spent the last 5 winters in SW Florida, lots of time both inshore and offshore. Been around some of the busiest harbors on the whole Gulf Coast. I am not good enough to assign a percentage to what I've seen, but there a LOT of multiple big Mercs on big CC's and performance boats, as well as midsize 24-28's. Yamaha is also very well represented in the mid to smaller sizes (maybe #1), and somewhat on bigger stuff. I see lots of Hondas on pontoons and deckboats, but much fewer overall. E-Tecs seem to be very popular on bayboats, flats boats, lots of them, as well as some multiples on bigger stuff. Zukes overall less, but on most types. Looks like Ford vs. Chevy to me. I'm looking hard at a new bayboat purchase, could very well have a 150HO E-Tec on it. Haven't seen many Scott-Atwaters though.
Old 02-19-2015, 05:07 PM
Slot Fish

Quote:
I wonder if that's not because Merc owns Lund so they force their outboards down freshwater fisherman throats. Not to mention Merc is usually cheaper and salt guys are spending big money so they aren't pinching pennies like entry level freshwater guys.

Did you forget about Yamaha and their freshwater Skeeter Boats, G-3 Boats not to mention a number of salt water boat brands where it's their motors? If people didn't want a Lund Boat or a Mercury they wouldn't buy them and the same goes for the other brands I mentioned that Yamaha owns.
Old 02-19-2015, 06:52 PM
Keeper

Hmm, I wonder if the new 219 ProV will get max HP bumped up to 400?
Old 02-19-2015, 07:48 PM
Keeper

Quote:
If anyone can force a boat or motor down your throat, you're weak. Didn't know buying a Verado was pinching pennies.