Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Trailer mast moves. - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Trailers and Tow Vehicles

Old 04-01-2017, 09:52 PM
Keeper

Default Trailer mast moves.

The mast on my trailer seems to move. Last year we drove 6 hours North and when we arrived at our destination I noticed the mast had moved a couple inches. So after I put the boat in the water I moved it back. The mast is fastened to the main beam of the trailer by two bolts. I have tightened and tightened and tightened the bolts as tight as I can get them. But it still seems to move The bolts don't go through the main beam...but underneath it. The mast sits on a C-channel that can slide on top of the beam. It's a Rolco trailer. I don't want to drill through the trailer beam donut won't rust. Any idea how to keep it from moving?

https://images.platforum.cloud/uploa...2ee3aebeac.jpg

Sincerely,

jbird68

jbird68
Morrison, IL

Last edited by jbird68; 04-02-2017 at 08:06 AM. Reason: Add photo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2017, 12:39 AM
Charter Member

I'll throw out a couple of ideas.

1) Add a U-bolt directly in front of the mast stand, that acts as a "stop" to prevent movement, or,,,

2) The fairly thin metal of the sides of the winch stand is bowing when the bolts underneath are tightened, so make a couple of short angle-iron pieces that run diagonally from one of the lower bolts to a new 3rd bolt above the frame, so when they are tightened they better "squeeze" the sides of the frame.

If you could post a picture of the area, I'll try to mark it up to better explain.

HRG
Old 04-02-2017, 05:02 AM
Keeper

It was dark last night when I decided to make my lost. I will get a picture sometime today. I like the idea of adding a ubolt in front if the stand. After I moved the stand and tightened it, I tried to winch the boat up to it's new position. The stand rocked a little bit front-to-back and the boat didn't move too much. How I noticed it had moved in the first place was when I loaded the boat back on the trailer my new ratcheting hold down straps were rubbing on the bottom of the boat when they were not when I put them on a couple of months ago. So I know the boat had moved back a little. I don't want my straps to rub on the boat as I am going down the road.

Sincerely,

jbird68

jbird68
Morrison, IL

Last edited by jbird68; 04-02-2017 at 05:05 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2017, 12:24 PM
Keeper

put nylon locking nuts on or loctite or both should fix it
Old 04-02-2017, 02:55 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbird68 View Post
It was dark last night when I decided to make my lost. I will get a picture sometime today. I like the idea of adding a ubolt in front if the stand. After I moved the stand and tightened it, I tried to winch the boat up to it's new position. The stand rocked a little bit front-to-back and the boat didn't move too much. How I noticed it had moved in the first place was when I loaded the boat back on the trailer my new ratcheting hold down straps were rubbing on the bottom of the boat when they were not when I put them on a couple of months ago. So I know the boat had moved back a little. I don't want my straps to rub on the boat as I am going down the road.

Sincerely,

jbird68

You'll need a U bult in front and behind it. Get a quality stainless one and really tighten that sucker down (be reasonable). Trailer bunk should be about an inch past your transom if you can, that will help support your transom and prevent it hooking.

Sounds like your boat moved on the trailer which pulled the winch stand backwards, you might not have had it on the trailer far enough. Rule of thumb, if you loosen the strap and the bow moves up any, its not on the trailer far enough. Gotta get that weight far enough onto the trailer so the boat sits steady and doesn't move (or try to move) while trailering.

If you have a roller trailer, welcome to the world of owning a roller trailer. That's why I took the bunk trailer option. Boats on roller trailers are like the kids at the state fair trying to catch the buttered up pig.
Old 04-07-2017, 01:25 AM
Charter Member

Jbird,
In addition to the excellent comments about adding a U bolt in front of and behind the stand, you may have to add two U bolts in front of and behind the winch stand.

For a relatively thin skinned trailer tongue, you may need the extra clamping force that you get with a pair of U bolts compared to a single U bolt.

Good luck
Old 04-07-2017, 03:28 AM
Wallhanger

I think the u-bolts are a good idea to try. If it still moves the only way to fix it for sure is to drill & bolt through. I know you don't want to do that but if you get it well covered with rustoleum it should be ok.
Old 04-07-2017, 10:39 AM
Charter Member

Also, A U Bolt called a channel clamp may work even better than the typical U bolt for this application.

https://www.google.com/search?q=squa...w=1642&bih=883
Old 04-11-2017, 12:38 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbird68 View Post
The mast on my trailer seems to move. Last year we drove 6 hours North and when we arrived at our destination I noticed the mast had moved a couple inches. So after I put the boat in the water I moved it back. The mast is fastened to the main beam of the trailer by two bolts. I have tightened and tightened and tightened the bolts as tight as I can get them. But it still seems to move The bolts don't go through the main beam...but underneath it. The mast sits on a C-channel that can slide on top of the beam. It's a Rolco trailer. I don't want to drill through the trailer beam donut won't rust. Any idea how to keep it from moving?

https://images.platforum.cloud/uploa...2ee3aebeac.jpg

Sincerely,

jbird68
Looks like you have a 'soft joint'. If there are not spacers on the bolts in the interior of the c-channel (would need to look from below) then the bolts will just deflect the c-channel and not properly clamp the mast.

Get some steel tubing (thicker the better) at the hardware store where the inner diameter is a little bigger than the bolt diameter. Cut it to fit snugly inside the c-channel. Remove bolts, install spacers made from tube, reinstall bolts and torque to spec.

The U-bolt idea may be OK for a temporary fix, but it will only limit movement. If the mast is not bolted solid, you are at risk of eventual failure.