Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
No Shed deer? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Hunting Central > Big Game Hunting

Notices

Old 04-09-2017, 06:09 PM
Wallhanger

Default No Shed deer?

I have pictures on my trail cams for the last 2 weeks (last wk March and 1st wk of April) with deer with antlers full racks both sides. Three different deer in one picture not one but three with antlers one with tall rack is a 10 pointer. I guess I could understand maybe one freak but three that have not dropped antlers anybody seen this before will they drop late or will they stay? Sent an email to the ILL DNR hopefully hear back from them next week.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2017, 01:52 PM
Slot Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by djcoop52 View Post
I have pictures on my trail cams for the last 2 weeks (last wk March and 1st wk of April) with deer with antlers full racks both sides. Three different deer in one picture not one but three with antlers one with tall rack is a 10 pointer. I guess I could understand maybe one freak but three that have not dropped antlers anybody seen this before will they drop late or will they stay? Sent an email to the ILL DNR hopefully hear back from them next week.
You must have excellent nutrition in your area, and the winter must've been very mild. The deer were not stressed much and have retained their antlers this late into the spring. They will drop and I bet it will be any day now if it didn't happen already.
Old 04-11-2017, 05:08 PM
Slot Fish

I saw a little 4pt whitetail in early April near Ft. Peck reservoir, very unusual, especially for whitetail. Our winter was pretty typical, not overly mild, or harsh. To add to this, I was down near Big Timber not quite 2 weeks ago, I saw 2 spike elk with racks still on, and the rancher's daughter saw 4 with racks still on, most the time down that way, racks are off by middle of March...but nature has it's reasons.

Old 04-11-2017, 05:13 PM
Wallhanger

CreedXS you are right according to the DNR. Got an email back from them and the officer has seen some also but stated that they will shed and should happen very soon. I know it is the first time I have seen it and virtually no snow and only one major cold snap here and some corn fields not harvested until after the new year so food has been easily accessible for the deer. Thanks for the reply
Old 04-11-2017, 07:38 PM
Minnow

Default No shed deer

You may not believe this but .... when mother nature plays tricks,,, and a DOE has antlers, they quite often ever shed them.... many multi pointed doe have been recorded just saying
Old 04-24-2017, 12:01 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by oooldman1 View Post
You may not believe this but .... when mother nature plays tricks,,, and a DOE has antlers, they quite often ever shed them.... many multi pointed doe have been recorded just saying
I believe there was an 11pt doe taken in SW wisconsin this past season.
Old 05-22-2017, 01:08 PM
Charter Member

Unbread doe will make for late antler dropping.